PDA

View Full Version : Tidelands (Netflix)

lynsea
12-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Figured I start a thread for a new show on Netflix for those of us who have seen it.

Tidelands follows the story of a former criminal who returns home to the small fishing village of Orphelin Bay. When the body of a local fisherman washes ashore, she must uncover the town's secrets while investigating its strange inhabitants, who are a group of dangerous half-sirens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(mythology)), half-humans called "Tidelanders"

Warning!: SPOILERS throughout this thread AND, just as a heads up, this is definitely a NSFW/kids show. Drugs and nudity.

lynsea
12-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Adrielle looks so much like Hannah Fraser. I had to check to make sure it wasn't her!

AniaR
12-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Hannah does a lot of stunt double work so might be worth checking the credits ;) I am excited to watch this after I binge all the recent true crime updates haha

lynsea
12-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Definitely don't think it's her.

SPOILER we don't see the true fishy sirens for most of this movie so not much for her to do. Maybe in the next season.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-17-2018, 12:41 AM
Its an all Australian cast.

Saelyyia
12-18-2018, 01:25 PM
It is an interesting show. I binged the whole thing in a single night.

Sent from my shellphone.

AniaR
12-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Its an all Australian cast.
Hannah Fraser is Australian and does stunt work for Australian actors. ;)

Saelyyia
12-18-2018, 04:11 PM
She is not credited for any stunt work for the show.

Sent from my shellphone.

lynsea
12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
No no, sorry I seem to have everyone confused. She is not in the show at all. I just remarked how much the lead actress looked like her.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-20-2018, 04:35 AM
Hannah Fraser is Australian and does stunt work for Australian actors. ;)

REally? All this time, I thought she was an American!!:$

AniaR
12-20-2018, 10:39 AM
REally? All this time, I thought she was an American!!:$

I know, she confuses a lot of people that way because she always had an accent and then I noticed she recently started trying not to have one. The first time I met her she had one, the second time, she didn't. But yeah she has a greencard to be in the US. Also, her father is famous (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Fraser)... (was rather, he passed)

AniaR
12-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Ok I finally watched the first 3 episodes and I am so damn hooked and invested it's not funny. lol First of all.. YES she looks so much like Hannah it's freaking me out. Second, this is like "trueblood" but for mermaids. So much sex and violence. Everyone is sleeping with everyone lol. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it would be on par with "siren" but it's blown past that. So so so good. I love it

Saelyyia
12-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Right! I remember I sat down to watch the pilot and by the end of it I canceled the rest of my night because I had so many questions I needed answered and then binged the whole thing.

AniaR
12-21-2018, 11:52 PM
So mahina doubled for Elsa for some of the promos. Pics on both their instas.

Just finished it, loved it

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

AniaR
12-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Elsa = married to "Thor" irl lol. She's the one who looks like Hannah.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Toxotes
12-24-2018, 04:07 AM
I hoped to see some merpeople in that show.
But it seems those Tidelanders are more like underwater humans.

But "The Little Mermaid" (2018) which is also on Netflix is really nice.

lynsea
12-29-2018, 02:37 PM
It seems like we'll be getting more of the actual sirens who do have fins next season but the tidelanders are definitely not scaled people.

AniaR
12-29-2018, 09:46 PM
I love the whole concept. When I researched mermaid myths for my book, only a few myths included an actual full fish tail. There are so many variations it's really interesting!!!

I loved the whole thing. It reminded me a bit of trueblood but not cheesy

Vantin
12-30-2018, 08:26 PM
idk why but it reminds me of H2O: just add water....
btw is Australia as beautiful as it is in tv and movies?

Mermaid Jaffa
12-30-2018, 08:30 PM
idk why but it reminds me of H2O: just add water....
btw is Australia as beautiful as it is in tv and movies?

Yes. Yes it is.

Kwilena
01-01-2019, 03:22 AM
It's more beautiful!

TheChimera
01-26-2019, 01:29 PM
I started watching this today and wanted to come onto the forum and check if anyone had anything to say about it yet. [emoji4][emoji4] I'm so glad to see some of the community enjoying it as much as I do. I think it's a refreshing series and a nice change up from Siren. I definitely like the atmosphere and mystery surrounding Calliopes birth, I hope we see more of the mermaids in the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheChimera
02-16-2019, 01:48 AM
Ok so I've managed to watch a few more episodes of Tidelands and I thought I would come on here to give an update on what I thought

(Spoilers ahead)

I definitely find the way the Sirens are portrayed intriguing as it's an interesting change up from your usual goody two shoes characters, I think that making them rather uncaring of their offspring gives them an alien, unknown feel, more like they embody the harsher aspects of the ocean and it's ferocity. Only being able to call them to the beach by a blood sacrifice ( and then only for her to glance at them before losing interest and diving back into the sea) makes them seem more like the elusive creatures of Greek mythology rather than your friendly neighborhood mermaid. Their indifferent to the tidelanders as far as I've seen and that makes them a dangerous, mysterious predatory presence in the waters around Orpeilin bay. Now the Sirens being the reason I watch this show because I love a good grisly creature feature. I do have two things that put me off this show a bit Firstly, Augie ( Cal's brother) has no real reason to have any contact with the tidelanders other than sex and buying their mysterious drug barrels ( drugs Which they produce how?) most of the characters connections to one another aren't really fueled by any real connection other than sex, it's a bit annoying when they use sex as a way to add narrative to an otherwise shallow relationship [emoji85]Don't get me wrong I don't mind the scenes, they just don't make sense in the real world, ( and yes I know it's fantasy) unless of course orpeilin bay only produces sex freaks lol. Anyway thanks for reading this far if you made it through my very early morning sleepy rant [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaraMoon
02-13-2021, 04:46 PM
I know this thread is really old now. But I just had to come and say I watched this series recently and I thought it was really good.

Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Adrielle is so gorgeous! <3

she11sea
11-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Are there any actual mermaids in this series though?

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2021, 04:31 AM
Are there any actual mermaids in this series though?

No fish tail ones. More like Aquaman type of merms.