PDA

View Full Version : South Florida Mermaids? (Like... Everglades south)

etidorpha
03-28-2019, 08:08 AM
I’m new to this (I still don’t have a monofin but I’m working on it) and wanted to find a group of people to swim with (for friendship and safety). Are there any mermaid groups in South Florida?

So I already know about the Florida Springs Mermaids but their meetups are all in the Ocala forest and therefore approximately 4-5 hrs away making it really hard to do on a whim. (All of those springs are beautiful and I do hope to join you on occasion but I’m not driving up there to get enough practice to be able to not die in a monofin, cool? Cool.)

So I’m looking for some mers who meet further south in Florida. Literally anything that isn’t 200 miles away from Fort Lauderdale - I will even brave Miami traffic for this someone just please say there are other mers in the swamp.

Slim
03-28-2019, 07:42 PM
I’m in Lakeland and there Lithia Spring near here. There also Wekiwa Spring near the turnpike in Orlando. Someone on the FSM group mentions this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/108592650061804/?ref=share

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Slim
03-28-2019, 07:49 PM
I’m willing to carpool with my friend about 1.5 hours south of Lakeland if someone can find a swimming spot (spring, beach, safe swimming river). Sarasota county has a salt water diving well. Because of personal reasons, I don’t trust anything in Sarasota county and will never go there.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Nixie Noele
03-29-2019, 01:04 PM
I’m new to this (I still don’t have a monofin but I’m working on it) and wanted to find a group of people to swim with (for friendship and safety). Are there any mermaid groups in South Florida?

So I already know about the Florida Springs Mermaids but their meetups are all in the Ocala forest and therefore approximately 4-5 hrs away making it really hard to do on a whim. (All of those springs are beautiful and I do hope to join you on occasion but I’m not driving up there to get enough practice to be able to not die in a monofin, cool? Cool.)

So I’m looking for some mers who meet further south in Florida. Literally anything that isn’t 200 miles away from Fort Lauderdale - I will even brave Miami traffic for this someone just please say there are other mers in the swamp.Hi!

I'm based down in Boynton Beach (like 20min north of Deerfield), so I know the feeling when seeing all the springs meetups. I'm on the hunt for a place to go and people to swim with that isn't a 4hr drive. I've been swimming in the gym pool with my monofin to get practice, but it's no where near the depth for real mermaid training.
I feel like we're limited to beaches, or pools down here. The first one isn't ideal for us 'in training' mers, and the pool gets boring! lol I've found a few nature centers that have parks, like Virginia Key, that have lagoons and such.
Maybe a carpool Mer-Training Day up to the springs could happen in the future?

-K

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app