PDA

View Full Version : need help on a gaint fish tank!

Rain Hauger
04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I really really want a giant fish tank to swim in for events that i attend with out water. does anyone know how to build one of know someone in az that can help!. mermaid rain is on a buget!

Kanti
04-08-2012, 05:18 PM
You won't find one under $1,000.
And that's USED!

You can find them used generally from 1-6k depending on how large it is, but in order
to fit a person comfortably, you're going to need at LEAST a 8x4x4. However you can't
choose your specifications if it's used and finding someone with that large a tank is
going to be a very rare occurance. Also take account that you're going to need to provide
pickup most of the time. When you find used ones online they're usually pickup only,
so you need a huge truck and some people to help you carry it xD

Getting one new is insane. Since tanks usually don't come in that size they have to custom
make them so you pay a ton. Especially since it's going to need thick acrylic in order to keep
the water pressure under control.
Anything above 8 feet long is going to need 2" acrylic or it won't be safe. That basically
ups the price to around 20-30k new PLUS shipping which is a huge amount of money for
something so heavy.

It's a lot of money, but making them yourself is essentially the same price PLUS the risk
that you may do it wrong. If you don't pressurize and support everything evenly, the tank
will eventually just rupture and it'll be a huge waste of money.

We had another topic similar to this:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?437-Acrylic-Mer-Tank&highlight=acrylic+tank

Hope it helped~

Rain Hauger
04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
holy mockarol! that is more than i suspected lol geez mermaids that have tanks are lucky let me tell ya!

Kanti
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Yea it's a hell of a lot of work.
But on the bright side, if you're a mer with a tank you can charge a whole lot extra to bring it
to your shindigs! So if you know you're going to be doing a lot of shows and you know a lot of
people are going to like the tank idea, it's completely worth all the payment at first :'P

It's just an investment, really!
But it's a lot of reponsibility too so you need to consider a bunch of stuff before you get out
there and decide to order one o.O

Rain Hauger
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
i'm a non profit mer. so i rarely charge for anything except sometime gas lol. I do events like water safety day, healthy kids day and am doing a breast cancer run soon i just wanted a tank to look good
was looking for a price i can afford with out losing too much

Kanti
04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Ohh I see
Well in that case what you can do is maybe start a charity fund so people can help you fundraise
for a tank. Only problem is it's not just the tank you end up paying for, it's transportation, filtration,
filling it up, carrying it, etc.

If you're not going to charge extra for it, you probably shouldn't bother investing in one.
Instead you could ask to work at places that supply the tank for you.