PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Bellasea
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm from West Michigan and I am taking an online oceanography class. I need to interview some people that live on the ocean and have noticed any changes due to climate change. Would anyone be willing to help? Just reply to this post or send me a private message on my profile. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Blondie
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I live in Jacksonville, Florida. When I was younger, every single afternoon we would have these massive storms that would come off the ocean. It was amazing. It honestly rained for at least an hour every afternoon. But in the past three years, storms have become very rare for Jacksonville. And in result, we have had hundreds of wildfires. I had one start just across the street from my house the other week! Currently we have 60-65 burning fires at this very moment in Northeast Florida.

Bellasea
04-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Thank You! I was also wondering if there were anything that you noticed that has also happened because of the small numebr of storms.

Blondie
04-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Our soil has completely gone to waste. It's dried out so badly that when it does rain it's like sand it it all just erodes away. Therefore, it's hard for some agriculture farms around here (Even Orange Trees) and common people like myself, haven't been able to work on replanting our yard since it just dries out to quickly!

Gem Stone
04-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm on Texas and besides the amount of seaweed and the color of our water(it's not pretty) which is progressively getting worse, I don't think that its from climate change. I think ours is just because of all the trash around our area. Off shore, however, I have noticed that the fish are slowly 'migrating' farther out. We used to catch snapped at about 8- 10 miles, but now we go out 15- 20 before we even think about catching them. All e other fish are definitely out farther than the snapper

Bellasea
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
iblondie- Wow, that's horrible. Where I live there a lot of dunes, so I know how hard it is to keep sand in place. So, local farms are having a hard time just getting things to stick and there fields to be able to support crops. Also, do you know why there have been fewer storms?

Gem Stone- Thank You! Do you know why snapper are farther out? Could you als tell me your local news/waether station website so i could look up past water temps/air temps/etc.

Gem Stone
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I think it has something to do with the water temperature. Or the food moving. Also, storms have a big effect on fish. Like before a hurricane, everything's so far offshore that half the charter boats can't catch diddly squat cause they don't go out that far.
A website you can look up is net surfing or something like that. Go to google, type in surfcam, fremont Texas. There's a ton of links to check the water and stuff there

Blondie
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure the whole story behind the lack of storms, but Gem is probably right. It has to deal with the water temperatures. The past few years I had a hard time getting into the ocean because I thought it was chilly. But when I was younger I remember it used to be like bathwater sometimes. And where I live, it's a small cove in the state so we're generally not a main target for hurricanes.

Bellasea
04-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I was thinking water temperature would be the problem. I did a whole report on hurricanes and how to prevent them, and my main idea was lower water temp. I have some family in Florida on the Gulf and I am going to ask them also. Maybe what is happening by you Gem Stone is also happening over there. Thank you for the link; I will check it out.