PDA

View Full Version : Learning about mermaids

Jeblily
04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Well, for starters Hi! I am relatively new to mernetwork and already I can't believe the talent, support, and creativity of this site. So I decided to post a bit of a bio. First off I would like to explain my username... You see my initials are jeb and my most beloved dog is named Lily. It is a bit of a username that has stuck and I use it for a lot. Also I would love to come up with a nickname or mer-name of sorts based off of it so any ideas appreciated.

Now for the good stuff, I have always loved swimming and when I was little they used to call me a mermaid because of how well I swam. I was so good at swimming they started calling me a shark, to which I was very sad I wanted to be a mermaid.... I think that started it, that and the fact that I have a bit of an obsession with long hair. So for a really long time I have always wanted to be a mermaid, but it was a far off fantasy. I was listening to music one day though and I found this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBKrNlG_Lo. In it was a beautiful mermaid tail, which was for sale. I had really wanted to buy it and I think it ended up being sold for under a hundred. However I did not have the guts to tell my parents I wanted it, and like that it was gone. I still am mad at myself for that, I wanted that tail sooo bad. That song did lead me to this site though, and I hope to one day make a tail like it. I have some questions though, how does someone who is very self-conscious deal with going out in their tail knowing they will be made fun of, and even more importantly how do you begin to tell your parents who are incredibly realistic and education oriented that you want a mermaid tail? I am the first child and I am the one they expect to get a big scholarship and be the one to make logical, smart decisions. So what do you do? I like to have cool costumes for Halloween and I take art classes where I might be able to pass the tail off as an end of the year project. I know this is just me putting it off though what can I really do.

As an ending note, the picture you see as my avatar is my inspiration for all this... The tail that started it all. :)

It is so nice to meet you all,

Jeblily

Mermaid Lorelei
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
It's wonderful to meet you, too. Welcome to the network. :>

Nemefish
04-10-2012, 11:38 PM
wow this video went from interesting to just plain old depressing haha ;P anyhow its nice to meet you jeblily i can tell you that i feel the same way you do. only my mom an brother know about my dream but even then mom still expects me to be the scholar. no one else except for people in this website know, not even the friends i know in real life, because i am afrid of ridicule, but hey i do feel better when i think that even if i cant tell the people around me, at least im not the only one as obsessed :D the way i would go at it is by swimming in a solatry area with a partner that is into the same thing, then there is no chance for people to make fun of you, cuz there will be only you and your friend.
anyhow, its nice to meet you, welcome to the neighborhood. :yay:

Mermaid Lorelei
04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I have found that swimming with just a monofin is cool to people. I've never really heard of people being made fun of for wearing their tails.

And that song was beautiful, but the ending was just... sad.

Kanti
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Awww omg that's such a touching story xD
I didn't mean the video, either. I love how that tail means a lot to you~
You should totally make one yourself! We have tons of tutorials and that
tail looks fairly simple!

Either way nice to meet you! :'D

Gem Stone
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
I have been made fun of in my tail (by a friend mind you so he was very brutal about it) but the important thing to know about the mean people, is that they are too scared and too shocked and amazed that you have the guts to do something out of the ordinary that they don't want to be made fun of as well by treating you normal or ignoring you completely. If you can remember that, you'll forget that they're even supposed to be making fun of you and youll lose yourself in the fun of swimming! Now about the other thing. Parents are harder. My family always had this thing with the ocean and my grandmother works at Weeki Wachee so that part was pretty simple for me. Um, maybe just bring it up in a conversation where they aren't busy and can listen to you reasonably. Don't try to talk about it if they've had a stressful day or they might overreact. Maybe. Like isais, the parents were easy for me once I had the guts to do say it

Bellasea
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I have always wanted to be a mermaid, but my parents were (they still are actually) very against the idea. I to tell other people by saying, "I want to be a mermaid, but since the probably won't happen I will have to settle for oceanographer." From there I just said, "I want to be mermaid." Now it’s, "I will be mermaid."

To come out to your parents, you just need to work up your confidence. Or, play it off as a joke. Say that you want to dress up as one for next Halloween. I don't think you should try to pass of the tail as an end of the year project, but until you work up the confidence needed it is a good idea.

When you are able to tell other people, it might be easier to do this before you tell your parents, don't listen to them. I have had a teacher come out and ridicule me in front of the class when he heard that I wanted to be a mermaid. I just ignored him, and everyone else. I told myself that they are just ignorant meanies and they only talking that way because I am confident about what I want.

So, my one piece of advice-- don't say anything until you have the confidence. Start by looking in the mirror and telling yourself, then try writing it down. Tell a younger sibling if you have one. Just do what you feel confidante enough to do.

I hope you get your tail! :)

Kanti
04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I think the key thing with getting over the whole 'telling other people about your tail' thing is just
to be super confident about it. I remember when I started my first one I didn't tell anyone what I was
doing until they asked then I just said it without breaking a sweat. My parents are sort of already used
to the fact that I'm weird but they were still weirded out by this for some reason?
I don't know why, either. I've made way crazier dry costumes. I guess "mermaid tail" just sounds a bit
like something a 5 year old would do.

I even had a friend who makes costumes with me comment on the tail. She laughed a little and said it
was funny, sort of hinting it was childish. I just didn't let it get to me and said "yea, so?" and I suppose
it worked cause now she wants me to make her one xD

It's all about confidence! If you project it onto other people they're less likely to continue picking at it
or thinking it's weird. Especially AFTER you've made your first tail. Cause honestly, if you go to a beach
or pool in a tail, you're almost automatically the coolest person around xD

Nyx
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome! nice to meet you :)

I am self-concious as well.
However, in my opinion, if it's something you love then you should not let others dictate wether or not it is wright or wrong, or if you should or should not do it. Another thing is that you should not even consider the opinion of people who judge you before getting to know you, specially because it is usually people that are closed minded that judge. In my experience from being a cosplayer, it is worth letting people laugh at you (and even laugh at yourself sometimes :lol:) for doing something you love and find fun!
And to deal with parents, I would say it's a hobby and a way to do exercise. A hobby usually doesn't affect school/job and is a great way to relieve stress and keep you out of trouble :thumbs-up:.

Either way, good luck! :)

Kanti
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I have had a teacher come out and ridicule me in front of the class when he heard that I wanted to be a mermaid. I just ignored him, and everyone else. I told myself that they are just ignorant meanies and they only talking that way because I am confident about what I want.

Oh my gosh what kind of teacher is that!? How rude! Seriously!
That actually reminds me of a study I read, though. I dunno how legit it was, but it was some sort of psychological
thing where they basically said people have an urge to correct social deviancy, even if it has literally NO impact on
their lives. People just generally DON'T like anything that they consider different or something they can label as
"breaking the rules". It's sad to think something like that is true. You think we'd praise people who try to be
different or go out and take chances.

I'm sorry about that, how mean! People are so inconsiderate >8(

MermaidHailey
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi, welcome to Mernetwork and here is some advice! Don't let people make fun of what you wear *especially a tail! Just think some people are mermaids for a living! Also there are hundreds of people who go out in public wearing mermaid tales all the time! Just look on You-tube for people who 'mermaid' it's REALLY cool! So...have fun on the sight and be who you want to be!

Merman Ray
04-12-2012, 03:01 AM
It's all about confidence! If you project it onto other people they're less likely to continue picking at it
or thinking it's weird. Especially AFTER you've made your first tail. Cause honestly, if you go to a beach

I bet this is much easier for a woman to do, but if I were to take a tail with me to any public place to swim with a tail I would have to have someone with me that also has a tail.

Kanti
04-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I bet this is much easier for a woman to do, but if I were to take a tail with me to any public place to swim with a tail I would have to have someone with me that also has a tail.

Yea that's true. Gender roles suckkk.
Still I mean, if you played your cards right and made the tail suit you and your composure well
enough, people will still think it's really cool.

Bellasea
04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Another thing is that you should not even consider the opinion of people who judge you before getting to know you, specially because it is usually people that are closed minded that judge.

With this I have always thought 'they don't know me, so they have no right to judge.'

Cause honestly, if you go to a beach

That is so true! When ever I go to Naples, Florida, we use soem big bait net (can't think of the name right now) and when we pull it we are the coolest kids on teh beach. I'm not even a from Florida and I will have tourists and locals come up to me and ask questions.

Bellasea
04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
^^ that's my first time using quotes. so glad it worked :))

New York Mermaid
04-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Sweetie As a fellow Mermaid im going to tell you something.

People are always going to judge you, But as long as your happy and your confident about what you want to do, you brush it off and keep on. Sure people get ridiculed constantly about many things but those are the ones who become Successful. Hell I get looks when I first brough my Dol-Fin Monofin into the pool, I just looked the other way focused on what i was going to do and did it. This is why I have a underwater mp3 player, plus its like having your own soundtrack to your swim.

Since my surgery I went by this rule- Just because people tell me I cant or wont, Gives me more drive to show that I am going to prove them wrong and be successful. So the teacher made fun of you, that person has no respect for you. Thats okay though, one day your going to make him eat his words. Be strong and tough, no matter what people say or call you, you continue and be your mermaid self girlie

Mermaasai
04-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Sweetie As a fellow Mermaid im going to tell you something.

People are always going to judge you, But as long as your happy and your confident about what you want to do, you brush it off and keep on. Sure people get ridiculed constantly about many things but those are the ones who become Successful. Hell I get looks when I first brough my Dol-Fin Monofin into the pool, I just looked the other way focused on what i was going to do and did it. This is why I have a underwater mp3 player, plus its like having your own soundtrack to your swim.

Since my surgery I went by this rule- Just because people tell me I cant or wont, Gives me more drive to show that I am going to prove them wrong and be successful. So the teacher made fun of you, that person has no respect for you. Thats okay though, one day your going to make him eat his words. Be strong and tough, no matter what people say or call you, you continue and be your mermaid self girlie

Yah! And putting a seaweed in their shoes isnt a terrible idea either!
*huffs and puffs and looks tuff*
ok maybe dont go that far... ;)

Underwater mp3 player FTW, and its totally true about being the coolest bean in the garden when you have your tail on.

Its so funny, I actually have a small group of older women that hang out at my local pool that snipe about me in their little corner and I find it HILARIOUS.
People that aren't secure enough in who they are will always snipe at some one who is.
Just remember that they have sad little lives. Pity their ignorance and ignore their idiotic behavior. (cause deep down I'm almost guaranteeing that they really want a mertail too... teeheeheehee)

Jeblily
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Everyone's suggestions are so great, I suppose I should start by building up my confidence and finding a friend I really trust. Perhaps I could ask my artistic friend, she might even help me make it!

I really appreciate everyone commenting.
Kanti, I hope to make a tail soon and thank you!
I also find really inspiring that you guys have gone through all those peoples mean views towards you and that you still enjoy being a mermaid.
Oh and Mermaasai, why wouldn't they like seaweed in their shoes? It is squishy and soft and it tastes good. I think it would make a really heartfelt gift from us to them! Teacher appreciation week present https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgbb0V1JVR-esyLokxvmsVn779sBGgG0dq0YVxm2iYxsbWS9n4FQ or http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4068/4267812828_c06d5f045d.jpg:rotfl:
I say we should start a new thread called haters be haters, to laugh and talk about some of the things that people might have said and done to us, to give everyone a chance to vent and feel better.

Bellasea
04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
^^^ That would a lot of fun. You have no idea how many stupid questions and comments that have come my way. (the stupid questions are not from kids, but from adults that really do know better)

Mermaid Sirena
04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Just gonna leave this hear.... "Those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind."

Remember if nothing else we're all here to support you :) I think a haters thread could be very beneficial and in some cases hilarious.

laamberry
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Great to meet you! I understand being nervous to take your tail out in public, I have a hard time with it too :( I bring it to the pull but it ends up staying in the trunk of my car until everybody leaves!

babsannee
04-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree! My brother thinks I'm a freak, and I'm afraid to tell my friends. I go to a school where I really would be ridiculed. I consider myself to actually be a pretty "normal" person, so I just tell myself that everyone has their eccentricities, but it's hard. I'm right there with ya girl!

Mermaid Dottie
04-16-2012, 07:48 PM

What Kanti Said!

People are always going to ask you why, and give you funny looks. (I think the manager at my local pool thought I was a pedophile until she came and talked to me.) Just come up with an easy or short and inspiring answer for those who ask, and ignore the ones who think you're weird.
Just remember, that half of them would do something like this if they had the guts.