PDA

View Full Version : World Mermaid Championship

Tom Cardwell
08-29-2019, 01:53 AM
Ok, I'm at a total loss at what the heck the World Mermaid Championship is that's going on this weekend in China. Is this like an invite only resort gathering? Does it even matter cause I can't seem to really find any info on it even through hashtags. Looking at the Facebook page it has no real info about what it is. I've seen shaddy, but this one?

Slim
08-29-2019, 03:01 AM
Ok, I'm at a total loss at what the heck the World Mermaid Championship is that's going on this weekend in China. Is this like an invite only resort gathering? Does it even matter cause I can't seem to really find any info on it even through hashtags. Looking at the Facebook page it has no real info about what it is. I've seen shaddy, but this one?

It seems to be real but only in Asia. Not so much world that the name makes you believe. Mermaiddeva Instagram is where I noticed it.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Tom Cardwell
08-29-2019, 03:54 AM
[QUOTE=Slim;309100]It seems to be real but only in Asia. Not so much world that the name makes you believe. Mermaiddeva Instagram is where I noticed it."

The only reason I noticed it was there is an American and Swiss mermaids attending.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-31-2019, 07:09 AM
Looks like a glorified beauty contest with marine conservation thrown in to attract extra attention.

AniaR
09-03-2019, 12:37 PM
I am curious who the judges are judging the merfolk and what qualifies them since they aren't mermaids themselves lol

Glenn.Thought
09-04-2019, 12:43 AM
34 international merfolk and 36 from china. Raina, if you know Marielle Chartier Henault (aquamermaid) i think she joined (not sure).

Echidna
09-04-2019, 10:45 AM
I just wonder how this can be a world ​championship if apart from a small handful of people, no one outside of China has heard of it at all.

Mermaid Fenicia
09-04-2019, 03:23 PM
As far as I know, 2 girls from Belgium and 1 from the Netherlands were also there.

AniaR
09-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Not a fan of Marielle lol. She doesnt have the best rep in my country :p

AniaR
09-05-2019, 08:34 AM
It looks like they're trying to legitimize it by branching out. There's this one, and then I know there's a different unaffiliated one that was in Egypt? It costs so much to participate and it's so far away! My friend Jess did it and Wen, wen won! I am happy for them and proud of them. Both are stellar athletes. But it's not something that would ever make sense for me

breezy588
10-12-2019, 12:54 PM
You can learn more about the Championship and even sign up to compete HERE (https://aquamermaid.com/pages/worldmermaidchampionship). It looks like they're planning on having it again next year. 2019 was their first year that's why it wasn't well known.

It also looks like there's going to be an American version in 2020 as well!

swordwhale
11-09-2019, 10:35 AM
I just discovered this. Aquamermaid has a few videos on it.

People from various countries... some nice pro level routines.

Murky water, the cell phone footage was OK, but not the same as if you were filming underwater with a go-pro.

I see a lotta fabric. No silicone tails? Interesting.

Echidna
11-09-2019, 04:17 PM
I see a lotta fabric. No silicone tails? Interesting.

silicone may look nice, but it's a hindrance if you plan to do some nice moves.

Some of the choreos and stuff they did looked really good.
Loved the one mermaid's silvery white flowy tail!