PDA

View Full Version : oohhh I has a sad @.@

Mermaasai
04-17-2012, 07:51 AM
A story I found on the interwebs... oooohhh my heart had a sad face.

"We've heard about whales suffering from loneliness due to overhunting. There's simply fewer of their species for them to communicate with. But what about a whale who sings at the wrong frequency? One whale, recorded since 1989 and tracked since 1992, sings at a frequency of 51.75 Hz, whereas others of her kind sing at 15 to 25 Hz. She's lonely because no one else can hear her. Good reports, "According to a 2004 New York Times article on the subject, this particular baleen whale has apparently been tracked by NOAA since 1992, using a 'classified array of hydrophones employed by the Navy to monitor enemy submarines.' It sings at 52 Hertz, which is roughly the same frequency as the lowest note on a tuba, and much higher than its fellow whales, whose calls fall in the 15 to 25 Hertz range."

Often, whales have trouble hearing one another because of human marine noise pollution -- they have to call louder or at a slightly different frequency in order to communicate over the din. But in this case, it's a wrong frequency altogether.

Not only does it sing too high, it also fails to travel along any known migration route of any baleen whale species -- so other whales can't hear it, and they don't run into it along migration paths. The best guess of researchers is that this lonely whale is either a "deformed" hybrid between two species of whale, or the last surviving member of an unknown species. Finding out for sure proves to be a nearly impossible task, as cryptozoologist Oll Lewis points out:

"The Woods Hole scientists were able to track the migratory pattern of the whale over several years, but this was only after the sounds had been declassified and released to them. Finding a moving target that you knew was in a certain place, say for example, last Tuesday, is a nigh on impossible task, and would require huge amounts of manpower. It is likely we will never know exactly what the 52 Hertz whale looks like, but the sentimentalist in me hopes that someday his calls are answered, however unlikely that may be."

No matter the species or whether or not we'll know what's the deal with this odd whale, it's definitely a sad story."

Mermaid Sirena
04-17-2012, 08:12 AM
That is sad :(

Ayla of Duluth
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
The lowest note of a tuba? Genius idea! Let's all get tubas and go sing to that poor whale!

Mermaasai
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
^ winsauce that idea!
That whale will have a bunch of merfriends ^.^

MermaidRaegan
04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
That's so sad! He must be really lonely.

Mermaid Dottie
04-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Poor Soprano whale..... I want to hug it!

Bellasea
04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Poor baby.. :(

Nemefish
04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
The lowest note of a tuba? Genius idea! Let's all get tubas and go sing to that poor whale!

nice idea :D but we dont know where it is :( i want to hug that whale too :S <3

Ayla of Duluth
04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
What if they found it and tried to transport it to where other whales are? It still wouldn't be able to sing to the other whales, but it would see them, and maybe start following them on migration paths.
Transporting a whale? Hmm...what if we just used a machine set to the same frequency as the whale and used it to keep it company? That would be easier. We should write a letter to the president about this. Lol

Mermaasai
04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
ORorororor!!! If we had a machine that broadcast the whales songs in the right frequency right after the song has been sung?!

Bellasea
04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
That could work, but we would still need to find the whale.

mermaidcatherine
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Whales have good hearing right? So, we get tubas, spread out among the oceans, and play the lowest note. We'll find the whale, and then will be able to find a way to transport it to other whales. Totally feasible, right?

It is sad though. Poor baby. :(

Question, though... wouldn't the Whale still be able to hear other whales, even though she sings too high?

Mermaasai
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Very valid question! I dont know!
Maybe she doesn't recognize or understand them because she is listening for a different note?

Also, they did say she doesnt travel along the same route as they do, so maybe she is missing it?
hmmm food for thought

New York Mermaid
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
their ears developed many structures specialized for hearing high and low-pitched sounds . For Example Blue whales can vocalize and hear very low-pitched, sounds , which can travel great distances and scatter to large areas in water. whales can communicate with each other over geographic areas as large as an ocean basin.

But however whales can learn and pickup calls Corky an orca in Seaworld california has an entirely different dialect(calls from norther pacific pod) than kasatka, another orca in seaworld,(who makes icelandic calls) yet Corky has picked up Kasatka's dialect and ocassionally uses her own. Even ulises a male orca from seaworld Cali, spent times with dolphins so much, he learned to "speak dolphin talk", he learned orca dialect after being moved to seaworld and being around other orcas. I guess the point is though this whale- whos possibly a hybrid of some sort may learn or adapt their call to match other whales. Im sure other whales do hear him or her, whether they choose to respond or not, no one knows.thats why whale calls are so complex.

Mermaasai
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
their ears developed many structures specialized for hearing high and low-pitched sounds . For Example Blue whales can vocalize and hear very low-pitched, sounds , which can travel great distances and scatter to large areas in water. whales can communicate with each other over geographic areas as large as an ocean basin.

But however whales can learn and pickup calls Corky an orca in Seaworld california has an entirely different dialect(calls from norther pacific pod) than kasatka, another orca in seaworld,(who makes icelandic calls) yet Corky has picked up Kasatka's dialect and ocassionally uses her own. Even ulises a male orca from seaworld Cali, spent times with dolphins so much, he learned to "speak dolphin talk", he learned orca dialect after being moved to seaworld and being around other orcas. I guess the point is though this whale- whos possibly a hybrid of some sort may learn or adapt their call to match other whales. Im sure other whales do hear him or her, whether they choose to respond or not, no one knows.thats why whale calls are so complex.

^.^ Mermeme!!!

New York Mermaid
04-26-2012, 07:37 PM
^LOL cute