PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising ideas

indigoice
04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
How do people raise the money they need for their tails and other costuming pieces?

I am looking for ideas since I'm out of work and have zero budget for my first tail. I need something to do to keep from boredom and depression and I was hoping building a tail and getting out to a beach this summer might do it.

Merman Ray
04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
You can do what I am going to do, get a job and save mony for it.

Nemefish
04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
i have the same question, and i am in the same situation :S i want to get a job too.

Ayla of Duluth
04-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Just go around doing temporary jobs like helping elderly neighbors with house cleaning.

mermaidcatherine
04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
If you're crafty, I know a lot of mermaids sell things on etsy to raise funds.

Mermaid Dottie
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
or if your artsy you could do artwork of fantasy scenes and try selling them. My little brother has sold his artwork all throughout high school. I think that's how he paid for his lunch all last year....

Gem Stone
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
babysitting works for me. you can charge a lot for babysitting nowadays. especially if youre good with kids.

indigoice
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Sry Jem Stone I am absolutely toxic with kids. I hate them with a passion. Some people jump on chairs and scream when they see a snake. I have that same revulsion and absolute need to avoid all children under ten.

I've tried doing art, making jewelry, taking costume commissions, all that kind of stuff. Other costumers are usually just as broke as I am, the people who like the same things I like don't have money to pay me for my time let alone cover the cost of materials for these projects. Taking commissions for costumes and clothing is just horrible to even try because normal people have no idea how much fabric and notions and all that other fun stuff actually costs. They have that 10$ dress at walmart mentality, and of course if I make it by hand for them they expect it will be even cheaper! After a good fifteen years of doing craft sales and art shows I've had to give up cause I'm not breaking even anymore and noone wants to spend extra money on something hand made.

I am still looking for a job, but even if I find employment, that income goes towards real life stuff that enables me to keep that job such as a car and rent and a wardrobe of normal clothes. (I live way out in the country with my family right now and would definitely have to move away on my own to find work)

I need an extra source of income to pay for costumey stuff cause it's never going to pay for itself and normal jobs barely pay for a normal life. ><

Theta
04-22-2012, 10:41 PM
How do you guys do it? Does everyone just wait till they win the lottery before they can fund this hobby?

I had the same issue with living in a rural area with limited opportunity. I moved into a communal apartment with a bunch of my friends (the more people you have = the less your share of the living expenses is) that was on a good public transit line. It took a couple of years to get solidly on my feet (although I was going to school full time at the time, which left me less time to work) and worked three jobs the whole time, but I was able to do hobbies like costuming and conventions within that couple of years.

You just have to sit down, really decide what a couple of your goals are- I had my 'before 30' bucket list, which used to be huge until I got realistic about it. It took a while but I whittled that list down to four things that were really important to me, and worked towards them. It might not come instantly, but if you set yourself out some goals and make a kind of a plan, you can do it! :)

Winged Mermaid
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
I originally got a job in the summer when I was in high school and saved all of my money from that, and that's what I ended up using for my tail fund (this was back when latex Mertailor tails cost $1,000). Ever since I've been saving up more money and still am at $1,400- need twice that for what tail I'm aiming for. That's like.. $30 a month I've saved -_- I too need a job! Saving money is really slow when you're schooling, if you can save any at all. I'm hoping WA job market is better than the CA one, haha. Here there is enough competition even McDonalds and other fast food places won't give you a chance unless you have a degree (and most times prior job experience and training in the same area) becuase everyone else applying has one, but obviously they can't find a job in their field and still need money. Preeeetty sucky.

As said before, most people get another job or do side jobs. I started trading for things I could do trades for and would clean for trade so I could save the money I would have spent. (Until I messed up my back, argh!) You'd be surprised at what you can trade for sometimes! I know selling hand made things can be really discouraging, but it sounds like you just were catering to the wrong market. People who need quality and custom things, and who are familiar with hand made are willing to pay the price for such wants and needs. Especially certian speciality markets- like mermaiders, cosplayers, belldancers, SCA and/or Renfair folk, ect. They want specialty items that you can't find outside of the hand made market for the majority of things, and they're willing to pay to get what they want. Just though I'd put that out there. That and there will always be people who want to take advantage or expect miracle prices (like the millions of comments and emails people get about, "Can you make me a silicone tail! I have $50!"), and them you turn away or ignore.

Just sit down and write down all the things you're good at and willing to do for trade or money, and start offering to people. There will always be someone better than you, but there also always be someone lazier and/or less skilled than you who is willing to pay, so just remember that :)

AniaR
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I saved saved saved, then went to my followers on all the different websites I used, told them why I needed a new tail, what I did, what I plan do, and asked for sponsors. I offered free things in exchange (e.g. their own prints of photos etc) but most people just sponsored without wanting anything back. I mostly got things in increments of 20-50$ but one sponsor- a woman who has followed me since I first became a model and photographer, gave me 1000$. I thought it was a mistake! I contacted her, but she explained she was in a position in her life where she could do something like this, and knew if she helped me I get along a little faster and pay it forward. She's the big reason I gave my old tail away instead of selling it.

Bellasea
04-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't know if you can do this where your live. There is a specialty second hand shop ib my town. Tter take mostly furniture. If your can find something nice you can get a lot for it. Most of the stuff is based ön the rustic country look. I have sold a few things there and made at least $25 profit for each. you could look for places like that around where you live.

Ayla of Duluth
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one with a dislike for children.

Bellasea
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Same here! I suffered through babysitting just so I could get the extra $50 I needed for a monofin.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-23-2012, 11:43 PM
For a little bit of side money, I host an Etsy, dog watch, house sit, and other such similar things.