PDA

View Full Version : Splash!

embry
04-22-2012, 03:57 PM
sorry i haven't been on the forum much
i lost my job and been trying to get back on my feet i mean fin.. but this isn't a pity party
i just want to let everyone know
i am officially watching Splash for the first time today *ducks waiting for things to be thrown at him*
i know i shouldn't be called a mer because of it! but hey! i am now!

i know random post.. but what can we do! LOL

Merman Ray
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Soundn't be called a mer? I disagree with that . I saw the movie Splash when it came out in the theatre when it was new but I would never hold it against you for seeing it for the first time just now. I hope you liked it, I know I did. In fact, they re-played the movie in the theatres some time later(I don't know if that was the year after or longer ) and I saw it again.
I know all about the problems with work lately, I have delt with that myself. Welcome to the MerNetwork embry, and hope to see you around more.

Spindrift
04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen Splash yet :P

Mermaid Photine
04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Neither have I ^_^

malinghi
04-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Haha, you thought everyone would get mad at you for never having seen it but lots of other people haven't seen it either.

Splash is now the "The Godfather" of mermaid movies.

embry
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
yeah i totally thought everyone would be mad.. i failed LOL
it was really good not what i thought it would be.. is Splash too? worth it?
what other movies are there that i should see!

and people who haven't seen it should see it a really good movie :P

Spindrift
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I haven't gotten around to watching The Godfather either. I should probably get on that. :|

mermaidcatherine
04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I haven't seen Splash. Nor The Godfather. Although, I just got into mermaiding and the movie came out seven years before I was born so I feel like I have an excuse. I just can't find a place online to watch it... (I would watch it legally, but I'm at college so my resources are limited.)

Ayla of Duluth
04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
What was that one with the whales trapped in the ice in Alaska? That was a good one.

Alveric
04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
I haven't seen it either.

As for recommending a mer movie, try ​Miranda. It's old so it might be hard to find.

Theta
04-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Splash is such a good movie! I haven't seen Splash Too though- tbh I thought Splash ended perfectly and didn't need a sequel.

Can I also recommend Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid? It's a great movie and it's available on Netflix streaming :)

Sea Pearl
04-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I watched Splash for the first time just last year :D Such a good movie! And I've never even see The Godfather yet so I wouldn't worry about that. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Merman Ray
04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Splash is the movie that got me obsessed with mermaids, and my personal interest in having my own tail. Splash is no doubt a GREAT movie! Splash too is a tv series that was better off not existing.
The ending part of Splash where you see him swimming with her to the depths of the sea to her world, the song that begins at that moment with the words "One fine day, love came for me" Just tears me apart. It if perfect. I cry my eyes out every time. Even thinking about this part as I type this makes me cry.

Spindrift
04-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Curious: has anyone ever watched those old retro movies that featured the Gill-man?

Gem Stone
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I watched splash forever a go and don't really remember it well. Has anyone been able to watch the new avatar series? I saw half of an episode last big and even though I watched the last series, I just got confused horribly.

ShyMer
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
What is it you don't understand about the Korra series? If you've missed some, you can go and watch them here (http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos).

Theta
04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
The Korra series takes place seventy years in the future; everyone from the last series is dead except for Katara (you see her briefly in the first ep so far.) Technology has proceeded apace- think of it as a series that takes place in 1920 versus the first series, which took place in 1850. I find that analogy helpful :)

embry
04-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I've never seen the godfather lol no interest here ;) i am a horror movie freak myself!
what about Aquarmarine? any thoughts?

embry
04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
my favorite all time movie which really has nothing to do with mermaids but does is "Mermaids" with cher lol

malinghi
04-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Splash Too totally sucks. None of the people from Splash were involved, the quality is poor, the story is stupid (they have to save a dolphin that's in captivity) Madison doesn't have a tail for most of it, and generally speaking it has almost nothing in common with Splash.

What I would love if for them to make sequel to Splash with the original cast, and have it set underwater. Obviously an entire movie underwater is difficult to film, and everyone involved is in their 50s now, but they could solve both those problems by making it animated. It'd be awesome.

Merman Ray
04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
A sequal to Splash with all the original cast would not include John Cany because he is dead. I wouldn't want there to be a sequal to that movie anyway because it would suck.

What would be better is an all new mermaid movie. Maybe they could put a merman in there too.

Ayla of Duluth
04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
What is it you don't understand about the Korra series? If you've missed some, you can go and watch them here (http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos).
Last I knew, only the first two episodes are out. Have any more been released since the world premier?

Alveric
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
My book has a merman in it. Maybe it would make a good movie? :cool:

Theta
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Last I knew, only the first two episodes are out. Have any more been released since the world premier?

The third episode came out last Saturday and the fourth will be out this coming Saturday. You can watch the third episode on nick.com. I'm not sure what time Korra airs on TV, though.

Mermaid Dottie
04-24-2012, 08:17 PM
I saw splash when I was, like, six. I don't remember most of it, but I love Tom Hanks, so I should probably rewatch it.
All I remember is the huge fishtank where they're trying to get him to turn into a merman.

embry
04-24-2012, 11:11 PM
i think its time to gather our pennies and make a mer movie! LOL

Mermaid Rillia
04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Haven't seen Splash, or The Godfather....Should prolly get on that. Hello Netflix. :)

mermaidcatherine
04-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Haven't seen Splash, or The Godfather....Should prolly get on that. Hello Netflix. :)
Neither of them are on netflix. I checked. (Well, at least netflix instant. I don't know about mail- netflix.)
We should totally make a new mermaid movie. It could star all of us. There's enough talented people on here that it probably is actually feasible to do!

ShyMer
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I recently found Splash for five bucks at Walmart, if anyone's looking to buy it.

Syrenia
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
There's a Splash two? That's horrible. I love Splash. By far one of my favorite mermaid movies ever, aside from The Little Mermaid. Have you ever seen the movie 'She Creature?' It's a horror movie, but omg. It's fintastic. If you haven't seen it, you need to. Seriously.

Mermaid Dottie
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey, I'm up for that! Let's make a movie!
It could be a musical!

embry
04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I know how to sing LOL

It could be a musical!

mermaidcatherine
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
It could be a musical!
I'M A MUSIC MAJOR I CAN DO MUSICALS. (lol can you tell i get a tad excited about music?)

Syrenia
04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
lmao I'm so down for a musical. How awesomely awesome would that be?! "Now presenting: A Mernetwork Film: SPLASH: THE MUSICAL!"

Samantha Siren
04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I watched Splash last night on youtube!

Speaking of mermaid musicals Syrenia what do you think of Sierra Boggess in The Little Mermaid?

Tasha Mermaid
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh i LOVE LOVE LOVE Splash, i seen it when i was like 2 originally, its always been a favourite of mine (i own it lol), but then again most of my childhood love of anything movie (or even video clip) relied heavily on my love for mermaids, faeries or dragons (or gargoyles they are so cute) one of my VERRY old favourite madonna songs, cherish, was because the clip had mermaids in it. I liked the cher movie mermaids (even though it didn't have any in it it was called mermaids and as a young child that was good enough for me lol) I don't mind this teen show that is going on here in Australia and is Australian called H2O Just add water, its actually set pretty well and is a series, i watched it on dvd :P.....oh and i agree when i found out the splash too didn't have the same cast i didn't watch it....dodgy re-dones are never good (think shock treatment after rocky horror picture show, i got 5 mins into that before i took out the movie) I'm going to make it my mission to find all the old style mermaid movies :P

Mermaid Marissa
05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I love how we randomly started to talk about Legend of Korra XD (Avatar was my show :lol: I think I have seen the series 4 times over now) and I think we should make a musical hahaha I can sing pretty well (or so I have been told :P) I'm in the choir at my high school :p

Spindrift
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I saw Splash a week or so ago for the first time! And I watched Gremlins last night, and Robocop the night before lol. I guess watching it from a different time/era/ish makes a big difference on expectations and critique. Tom Hanks' character was sort of a whiny crybaby the entire movie, I thought. I was under the impression that he only really cared about himself (I mean, he left his brother at the [spoiler censored]!. Also I didn't really think Daryl Hannah's haircut suited her in some parts of the movie. Loved John Candy and Eugene Levy though.

Mermaid Saphira
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
A mernetwork musical? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Thats sounds fun! :D LOL

~Molly~
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Splash is now the "The Godfather" of mermaid movies.

i feel so old.

Nemefish
06-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Splash too? ok now im curious about seeing this movie/pilot to a show/horrible film. where did you see it embry?:confused:

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Splash is the movie that got me obsessed with mermaids, and my personal interest in having my own tail. Splash is no doubt a GREAT movie! Splash too is a tv series that was better off not existing.
The ending part of Splash where you see him swimming with her to the depths of the sea to her world, the song that begins at that moment with the words "One fine day, love came for me" Just tears me apart. It if perfect. I cry my eyes out every time. Even thinking about this part as I type this makes me cry.

I couldn't have said it better!

MermanJesse
06-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Splash Too! (Whole movie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdJbOriOYI&feature=youtu.be

DoubleOSix
06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Oh geezz.....Splash too was the pits! I remember getting all excited to see this tv special and when it came on none of the actors were original :( And what was worst they hardly every show her as a mermaid! Pointless.

New York Mermaid
06-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Looks like its done in Epcots living seas way back in the day and then what looks dolphin research center.. hahaha

Winged Mermaid
06-09-2012, 02:24 AM
I agree. Splash Too was.. well it was just BAD.

A great mermaid movie is the PAX Mermaids! Unfortunately there aren't any torrents (at least the last I checked) and you can't buy the DVDs besides in Germany I believe. HOWEVER you can watch the whole thing on YouTube! Also on other random streaming sites like Megavideo, if you dig around a little. I was SO sad that they didn't pick it up for a TV show! I may be jealous of Shimmerbaby until I die for being able to purchase those tails! *drooool*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5qErd4jzE

Mermaid Miel
06-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Aqua Marine and disney's TLM are the Only Mermaid movies I have seen so far. I'm keeping an eye out for Splash, but I haven't found it yet.

Thalassa
06-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Haven't seen Splash yet, it's on my "to watch" list. Does anybody remember a Disney movie called The Thirteenth Year? XP

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I love the Thirteenth Year... it was one of my favorites, and I made everyone watch it when it came out. Aquamarine was so-so (I've also read the book it was based on, and the same author has a story called Indigo that I found much cooler). Splash was fun (and I still check out any mermaid fountains I see).

A mer-musical would be impressive, I think. Maybe something to consider for one of the conventions.

Cordelia
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Miranda is also streaming on Netflix currently. It was a pretty cute movie. I liked Aquamarine, too, but unless you are into YA, it might not be your cup of tea.

I didn't know that they had made a Splash Too; it sounds as though that is a good thing! :P

Ilonka
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Splash was my movie when I was a kid, I saw it like a million times and I always said that I was a mermaid ansd would even imagine I would turn into one when I got wet lol.

deepblue
02-11-2014, 02:39 AM
GOOD GRIEF there are a lot of threads that result in searching on "Splash" in the title. I want to post this but don't want to start yet another Splash related thread. So I'm resurrecting this one because it's the only one with just the title in the thread subject. Yay! Splash! In March, it will have been thirty years since it was released.

:D This! I just came across this randomly, and have you all seen it?

It's from a site called Alternative Movie Posters (http://www.alternativemovieposters.com/). They're by an artist named Andy Hau.

deepblue
03-10-2014, 02:54 AM
Today was the 30th anniversary of Splash. <3

Here's a link to the making of from a Tom Hanks website, no subtitles.
http://www.tomhanks-online.com/media/video/detail/590/splash-making-of/

Mermaid Adriel
03-10-2014, 06:00 AM
I watched it for the first time when I was 14, and it's my favourite live-action mermaid movie :)
ps: I want that poster *^*

Sherl
03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I just watched Splash for the first time ever today and it was so amazing and funny! <3 Thanks for the link, SurlySeaNymph – am totally going to watch it :D

deepblue
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I love seeing that people are still seeing it for the first time. :)

I watched it for the first time when I was 14, and it's my favourite live-action mermaid movie :)
ps: I want that poster *^*

I watched it for the first time when I was a month from being 14, when it was first in theatres. :D

I watch it a few times a week at least. When my daughter was first speaking she would bring me the DVD and say, "Mermaid movie, mama?" to watch it. Now she's four and asks me about what's happening, and it's actually a really good way to introduce explaining a few things- the idea of people fearing what they don't understand, the tendency for some to think the only way to understand something is to cut it open with no regard for its feelings, the reactions in the film from various things.

Aperture_Platypus
03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Saw Splash for the first time nearly 17 years ago when I was 10. My parents and friends always wondered why, when swimming, I'd always dolphin kick. I adore that movie.

Kinda nifty fact about Splash if you've ever seen the Nickelodeon Cartoon "The Fairly Odd parents." Creator of the cartoon, Butch Hartman has said that Eugene Levy's character is Splash was a partial basis for his fairy obsessed character Mr. Crocker.

deepblue
03-27-2014, 08:13 PM
FYI, Splash on DVD is $4.71 on Amazon right now.

19653 (http://www.amazon.com/Splash-20th-Anniversary-Tom-Hanks/dp/B00015YVD6/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1395965563&sr=1-2&keywords=Splash) <---click picture to go to the Amazon.com page.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I found this on youtube just then... It is a Making Of Splash Tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlTt6nHVew

At around 5.30, the three ladies who went for casting are in the water, and they're doing the dolphin jump, surfacing for air and going back in the water. Like the way dolphins do, when they surf the waves in front of a moving boat.

Can anyone do that? If you can, please have a how to video! It looks more fun to surface that way than actually popping your head out of the water.

AniaR
04-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Is that video fan made? Spliced with official DVD stuff and internet stuff... Some of the captions are kinda odd

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aziara
04-20-2014, 09:21 AM
I found this on youtube just then... It is a Making Of Splash Tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlTt6nHVew

At around 5.30, the three ladies who went for casting are in the water, and they're doing the dolphin jump, surfacing for air and going back in the water. Like the way dolphins do, when they surf the waves in front of a moving boat.

Can anyone do that? If you can, please have a how to video! It looks more fun to surface that way than actually popping your head out of the water. It's not really that hard, just swim as fast as you can for the surface at a 45 degree angle, and when you breach the surface, bend your head back down towards the surface. It's not really long enough to get a full breath though. Just a little gasp, and you have to be super careful not to inhale water (which will happen if you inhale too soon/too late) Nobody wants a choking mermaid, lol!

Mermaid Jaffa
04-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know. I only liked the bit where the three ladies are swimming and doing that little dolphin jump.

Cerulean
04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I absolutely adore this movie! It was like instant *O*!!!! Saucer eyes when I saw it as a little kid. Something small that I liked was that they made the shape of the fluke different on her childs tail vs the adult tail. It was more rounded looking in the child version which was cute.

Someone mentioned the thirteenth year which was (of course) my absolute favorite disney channel movie. I can never seem to find a decent upload of it on youtube. Cant describe how disappointed I was when my thirteenth birthday came and went - without any instances of fin growing heh. Ah well, I was also sad when I didn't get any summons to a witchcraft and wizardry school :p

Theyre not exactly mermaid related but If anyone here happens to watch anime in their spare time Id suggest squidgirl, and nagi no asukara (a lull in the sea) both are available through crunchyroll

MerAnthony
04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
I watched the video an that video had to be fan made. That was not Darel Hannah plus it does not give credit to Thom Shouse who made the tail to begin with. Plus he quality of the video is kinda crappy so you really can't tell who is who? But this is my opinion.