PDA

View Full Version : Utah Lake and River Mers

Mermaid Dottie
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.... if I'm wrong, please correct me.
What's a good way to get more merpeople in my area?

Spindrift
04-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Host a party or propose a get-together?

Mermaid Dottie
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I've thought about a get-together, but I really am the only mer in my state, it seems.

Spindrift
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Oh. You should introduce it to other people in your area! :) Might be fun. Or see if there are any groups in the area for other kinds of mythical creatures costuming?

Mermaid Dottie
04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Well I'm hoping to inspire some Mer-curiosity at the upcoming RenFaire this month and at the Pirate Festival in September, but at the latter, my current tail will be too big. >.<
Still working on it...

Spindrift
04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Best of luck then! Remember to have a card or something to give to interested mer-parties :)

Mermaid Dottie
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Right! I'd like to have waterproof cards that I can put in a bag on my mermaid belt and give out to the parents I meet, but so far they're kind of spendy.

malinghi
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
You also might want to reach out to cosplay groups to try to make some more mermaids.

Mermaid Dottie
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
That's a good Idea, Malinghi... Cosplay seems rather popular here...I wonder how I could get in contact with some of them....

Mermaid Dottie
05-02-2012, 03:39 PM
HI! Nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I'm not alone!!!!)
Where do you swim at?
Northern or southern UT?
*fishes around your profile*

Mermaid Dottie
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I see from your profile that you're 13. Do you happen to have a shiny gold tail? and a dad that helped you make it?

Mermaid Dottie
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Ah... I met a man in Joanns who was buying bright gold fabric to make a tail for his daughter, which is what got me started on this journey as an adult. That's why I asked.
I live in Clearfield.
Do you have any pictures of your tail? Did you make it or buy it?

Mermaid Dottie
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Nice! I'd love to see pictures. :)

Thalassa
06-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm new and just got my first mono fin because I need to learn how to be a strong swimmer before I get a tail. XP But I'm in Northern UT.

Sea Pearl
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Welcome Thalassa!

Thalassa
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Sea Pearl.

My monofin should get here in a few days; I'm trying to line up a friend who can swim to help me with technique. XP

Sitre Seer Moroaica
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Woot for more Mers!!!

I always have my 9 year olde niece practice without a tail too to help on the technique.

As far as finding more people. I ALWAYS bring up my Mermaiding. If I see a woman with a Mermaid tattoo I dont hesitate to bring it up. At work, out partying, meeting new people, I ALWAYS bring it up :) You'd be surprised at how many people you meet who loves Mermaids and would LOVE to be a Mermaid ;)

Mermaid Dottie
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Dottie I am pretty sure we both swim in Jordanelle, you do right?
My husband and I went up there for our anniversary this year, because it's near where we honeymooned last year, but as far as swimming there all the time goes, it's kind of a ways away from me. I'm in Davis County.

Thalassa
07-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I live in the Orem/Provo area. Up till now I've only ever swum in pools (I've never swum in a river or lake, weird huh?). I've never been to Jordanelle, but it looks like it's about an hourish away. So it'd be a good enough drive that I couldn't be popping up there at a moment's notice, but I could probably make it there once a monthish if needed.

Mermaid Dottie
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I think we should have a get-together!
Thalassa, you and I are meeting up at the Pirate Festival this year, already. Merana, what about you?

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm a Utah mermaid too! I live in Salt Lake City. I have a small group of mermaids, and we hire ourselves out for events (or often do them for free because we enjoy it). I haven't worked on my profile here very much, but you can check out my group at facebook.com/mermaidsofthegreatsaltlake. We've done pictures out at the Salt Lake, but I've avoided swimming in it since it's kind of gross. :) My group usually heads to a local rec center to swim. It's so nice to see that there are other mermaids in Utah!

Mermaid Dottie
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice to meet you Lei Loni! How many mers are in your group? and what rec center do y'all swim at usually?

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
It's nice to meet you too! There are 3 mers in my group (including me). Only myself and my friend, Nikki, are swimming mers. The other mermaid has a dry tail (she's terrified of binding her legs while swimming!) and she often does our face painting, and crafty things. :) We usually swim at the Holladay Lions Rec Center in Salt Lake. It's on 4800 South (Murray Holladay Road) and about 1700 East. I would absolutely loooove to meet you and all the other mermaids in the valley. I would even be happy to host a little mer-party at my home, if any one would be interested.

Mermaid Dottie
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
That sounds like a ton of fin- er fun!
Er... how do you mers feel about pirates? because I don't usually go anyplace south of Layton without my mertender. He takes my pictures, and videos, and I'm trying to design an outfit for him to swim in so he doesn't look so.... modern? More of a sailor-under-my-spell kind of look. And when I'm not pregnant he carries me to the water, although its been months since he could do that. XD

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
My husband always claims that he's a pirate and he's captured a mermaid. Sometimes, when we are at the pool, he will even tell that to the kids. I adore pirates. :) In fact, I'm showing up to a Pirates of the Caribbean move at the park as a mermaid. I think a salty sea dog is the perfect paring for a mermaid! And having a costume for your mertender is a great idea.

Thalassa
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
How in heaven's name do I keep missing the posts here? XP

Hi, Lei Loni! I'm getting into hiring myself out, hopefully I can get some bookings from the Pirate Festival and swimming in my tail in public places. I'm supposed to have my tail tomorrow, I'm so excited!

Dottie: I love pirates! As you know I've often wished for a mertender of my own. Maybe that wish will come true soon! ;-) One can hope, right?

Mermaid Lei Loni
08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
It's lovely to meet you Thalassa! I'm hoping that all of us Utah mers can get together sometime in the near future! Good luck at the Pirate Festival! Hopefully you will get lots of bookings from it!

Mermaid Dottie
08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I hope so, Thalassa!
I'm so excited that your tail is coming! I saw it on the fish butts page and totally squealed with joy when she said it was yours. ^_^

By the way, I totally found you on FB by accident, but you have no "add as friend" button.
Lol! Both funny and kinda sad at the same time. I pouted, then laughed.

Dez Fewell
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Hello is there anyone in or near Las Vegas?

xXMillieXx
08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Hey, I'm new to the thread, working on getting over my shyness of posting on the forums lol. Anyway, I'm a Utah mermaid, well sorta, getting my tail in about a week or two lol. I'm in the Orem area, didn't realize there were many other mermaids around here. So far I've only swam in pools, but totally looking forward to swimming in a lake, just wishing I had my tail right now. xP

Spindrift
08-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Welcome!

Mermaid Dottie
08-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Hi, dez. i think there are some Vegas mers around. I'll keep an eye out.
Welcome millie! glad you found us. :)

HanonManonMermaid
08-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Woah I'm surprised how many other mer-peeps are out there! I'm also surprised all the posts I want to reply to are from 2012 ('-') Though I'm a year late, welcome to everyone! :D

fawkes
08-10-2013, 12:28 AM
This is why I didn't pick a pod :)

I'm in Northern Cali, but not too far away from you guys. I'm about 6 hours from Salt Lake, and 6 hours from Los Angeles.

I like to be a migrating mermaid! *puts on "Exodus" by Bob Marley. Puffs a lil sea weed. :cool:*

HanonManonMermaid
08-10-2013, 01:57 AM
I've tried eating seaweed :P it tasted like... Accidentally swallowing seawater. Maybe fresh seaweed would taste better? Would having a seaweed wrap in a spa be mermaidy enough? Ahhh landlocked mer problems. Anyway, should they're be scheduled times, where mers would be at a certain lakes or swimiming pools, and if anyone can come then they....do. I guess that's pretty much what everyone does now.... Well there should be a more efficient way for mers to meet up. That is my point and I'm sticking to it :)

Grey Gambit
07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Seems like a lot of threads are kinda dead in this place, but.. *waves* Eastern Utah over here.

Sonnet
11-18-2014, 08:35 PM
So I know this is an OLD convo but I often find myself in the Utah area.
(I am from there but am living in Iowa while my hubby goes to school so we visit a lot.)
I go between Kaysville and Spanish Fork all the time.

Grey Gambit
12-12-2014, 01:54 PM
So I know this is an OLD convo but I often find myself in the Utah area.
(I am from there but am living in Iowa while my hubby goes to school so we visit a lot.)
I go between Kaysville and Spanish Fork all the time.
I often pass through Spanish Fork when headed up to the SLC area for visiting friends, but not usually in winter because of the mountain pass.

Kaia
01-09-2015, 06:51 AM
thought i would jump in! HIII! im kaia ^^ im new to mermaiding (thanks to dottie) nice to meet you guys! im based in ogden

Grey Gambit
01-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi Kaia! I'm new to mermaiding as well, still working on getting my first tail.

Kaia
01-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Hi Kaia! I'm new to mermaiding as well, still working on getting my first tail.

hi! i made my first tail. its a mahina fin base then just spandex. already looking at making a second one since it has holes in it already. haha

Grey Gambit
01-14-2015, 03:55 PM
hi! i made my first tail. its a mahina fin base then just spandex. already looking at making a second one since it has holes in it already. haha
I'm making mine, too. xD
Although I decided to also make the monofin as well and that's what's holding me up. The place I live at isn't that great with keeping rooms ventilated, so anything with fumes needs to wait for warmer weather so I can work on it outside.
...But at least all this gives me the chance to scrape money together for it.

Mermaid Sonyta
01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
*Flops in like a pro*

Oh hey, I'm a Utah mermaid. Sup peeps?

Grey Gambit
02-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Hello fellow Utah merfolk.
Not much going on for me, since I've been feeling under the weather again.

Mermaid Mystery
02-09-2015, 08:26 PM
I was just in Utah for four months! unfortunately it was for medical treatment but they did allow me to have my tail! I was up in Logan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Sonyta
02-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Grey Gambit- I feel your pain. I haven't been able to swim for almost two weeks now because I've been sick.

Mermaid of the Labryinth- I didn't realize there was anywhere in Utah people would come to for treatment from outside the states! Usually people are leaving Utah to get the treatment they need...

Mermaid Mystery
02-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Grey Gambit- I feel your pain. I haven't been able to swim for almost two weeks now because I've been sick.

Mermaid of the Labryinth- I didn't realize there was anywhere in Utah people would come to for treatment from outside the states! Usually people are leaving Utah to get the treatment they need...

yeah, northern utah has a few places for eating disorders

Mermaid Sonyta
02-10-2015, 10:32 PM
*Hug* I'm happy you were able to receive the treatment you needed. :) If you ever find yourself in Utah WITH a tail don't be afraid to hit me up ;)

Mermaid Mystery
02-11-2015, 01:58 AM
*Hug* I'm happy you were able to receive the treatment you needed. :) If you ever find yourself in Utah WITH a tail don't be afraid to hit me up ;)

I'll be back eventually to check in, I'll definitely bring my tail because I absolutely love bear lake!

JamesGunnels
02-11-2015, 02:44 AM
Used to live in St. George...kinda miss it! I cannot think of anything in that area...are there lakes in the Provo area? I think there are some up near Pine Valley.

Mermaid Sonyta
02-11-2015, 05:24 PM
I haven't been to bear lake for AGES! (seriously, it's been like 12 years) I loved it when I did go, though it wasn't very warm when I went lol

Utah lake is in the Provo area, I don't know that I've ever been there though.
I currently live in Sanpete, there are a couple lakes here but they are all kind of gross to swim in so I'm mostly stuck in pools.
There is a great lake in Huntsville which is up by Ogden- that's where I used to swim when I was a kid.

Grey Gambit
02-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Utah lake isn't one of the lakes you want to swim in, though. Most of the freak drownings I hear about are from that lake.
Not to mention most of the beaches are mostly super marshy. It seems to be better for boating.

Mermaid Sonyta
02-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Good to know, thanks for the warning.

MermaidCelesteFL
04-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Hey guys! I'm planning a trip over to Utah to visit a friend of mine and possibly do some camping. Maybe a mer get-together? Who would be up for it and where could we go?

Grey Gambit
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Huntington, UT has a few parks that allow camping and swimming (Huntington State Park and Millsite State Park; http://www.emerycounty.com/Travel/san-rafael-swell-state-parks.html). I haven't had a chance to swing down there, but at least one of them is supposed to be warm-water. Both have fees, I'm not sure how much. That's what's closest to me that I know of (as far as swimming + camping goes, unless you just want a pool).

It'd be fun to meet up with people, though.

MermaidAine
04-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Hey guys! I'm planning a trip over to Utah to visit a friend of mine and possibly do some camping. Maybe a mer get-together? Who would be up for it and where could we go?

What part of Utah will you be visiting?

MermaidCelesteFL
04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Around Logan to Provo, I believe.

MermaidAine
04-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Hmm there is a large distance between Logan and Provo. Are you two going to be traveling around? Logan is by Bear Lake.

MermaidCelesteFL
04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Is Bear Lake clean?

MermaidAine
04-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes. But cold. Totally swimmable in the summer though.

MermaidCelesteFL
04-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I plan on going in the summer! Maybe I can see you?

MermaidAine
04-29-2015, 02:03 PM
That would be great!

Mermaid Mystery
04-29-2015, 05:55 PM
LOGAN! I miss it so much! Bear Lake is definitely NOT cold, I've been in Lake Tahoe a lot and bear lake is NOTHING. I want to go back so bad, but I'm trying to stay away for health's sake!

Mermaid Mystery
04-29-2015, 05:58 PM
I may have gotten a little excited lol

Mermaid Mystery
04-29-2015, 05:59 PM
oh by the way wear as much sun screen as possible at bear lake, you WILL get sunburned, it's inevitable.

MermaidCelesteFL
04-29-2015, 06:03 PM
labyrinth, would you be able to make a meet up?

MermaidAine
04-29-2015, 06:21 PM
LOGAN! I miss it so much! Bear Lake is definitely NOT cold, I've been in Lake Tahoe a lot and bear lake is NOTHING. I want to go back so bad, but I'm trying to stay away for health's sake!

We are talking about the same Bear Lake aren't we? The one way up there in the North??? Just kidding, I have only been there twice, I found it cold, but then again I am pretty sensitive to cold water, and I find most lakes cold. I am a beach girl, what can I say?

MermaidCelesteFL
04-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Is the water at least clean? I'm spoiled by the springs down here in Florida, so I'm used to crystal-clear waters that are (for the most part) pretty sanitary.

Worst case scenario, we find a good pool nearby where we can tailswim.

Mermaid Mystery
04-29-2015, 06:41 PM
Is the water at least clean? I'm spoiled by the springs down here in Florida, so I'm used to crystal-clear waters that are (for the most part) pretty sanitary.

Worst case scenario, we find a good pool nearby where we can tailswim.

the water is for sure clean! it's a beautiful lake, just watch out for the bear lake monster lol

Mermaid Mystery
04-29-2015, 06:42 PM
We are talking about the same Bear Lake aren't we? The one way up there in the North??? Just kidding, I have only been there twice, I found it cold, but then again I am pretty sensitive to cold water, and I find most lakes cold. I am a beach girl, what can I say?

I know how you feel. after being on Hawaiian beaches it's hard to transition back to California beaches

Mermaid Sonyta
05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
One of my friends owns a campground next to a stream in the box elder area. She might be willing to lets us party there. There is an aquarium in draper we could visit as humans, or there are a plethera of swimming pools throughout utah.

Grey Gambit
05-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Any mers planning on attending the ren faire this month? I might be able to go up there for a Saturday and it would be really fun to meet up with others.

MermaidAine
05-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Any mers planning on attending the ren faire this month? I might be able to go up there for a Saturday and it would be really fun to meet up with others.

I went on Sunday with my daughters. I was feeling pretty bad for the Mermaids as it was fairly chilly.

AniO
06-10-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm here in SLC! But we met at Merfest, so you know about me :)

Mermaid Miranda
10-05-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm brand new to this lovely universe. Tail-less, fin-less and currently struggling to find a pool I don't have to pay for in Orem/Provo because I've heard horrifying stories about the lake, although I'm not sure how true they are. Also it's starting to get cold.
So I know I'm not much of a mer at the moment, but I'd love to meet those of you who live nearby!

Mermaid Strega
12-16-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm in Idaho, honestly not too far SLC. 2 hrs drive or so. Welcome to the pod!

BubbleNeon
05-31-2017, 05:47 PM
To my fellow Utah Mers, how do you deal with being landlocked?! I can't find any pools that I'm sure will let me swim there, and I'm honestly too nervous to ask!

ALSO oh my heck I thought I was one of the only Utah Mers! :jawdrop:

(double also. I am really late to this thread xD)

The_MermaidBrianna
06-21-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm sooo late to this tread, but I'm going to be in Salt Lake for the next couple weeks for work, and I'm looking for some mers to go swimming with in that area! I don't know what my schedule is going to look like, but I'm sure I will have some swim time! Salt Lake mers let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

MermaidAine
06-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Welcome!!! There are quite a few of us here in Salt Lake. Are you on Facebook?

The_MermaidBrianna
06-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Welcome!!! There are quite a few of us here in Salt Lake. Are you on Facebook?

I am, one of my FB friends is going to add me to some Utah mer group in a minute. But the more I meet the better! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mara Defleur
06-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Hi, I'm new to mermaiding and I live in Northern UT. I should be getting my first mono fin next month. I would love to meet up to swim

MermaidTaya
10-06-2017, 12:18 AM
I'm in southeast Idaho, and about 2 hours from salt lake. I've been feeling really alone in my area too and would love to find people who share of love for mermaids as much as me and might want to get to know each other and do awesome merfolk things together :)

Kidiu
07-28-2018, 03:50 PM
I’d love to meet with other mermaids, it feels really rare in Northern Utah.

[emoji254]Kidiu[emoji94]

XxMSengxX
07-28-2018, 05:30 PM
I'm in Southern Utah [emoji24] so close yet kind of far away. xD

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

MermaidTaya
07-28-2018, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Kidiu;300229]I’d love to meet with other mermaids, it feels really rare in Northern Utah.

Well let's plan something! I wanna get a group going ☺️