PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

Mermaid Marissa
04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Would you/ do you put anything on your tail to make it slimy for either swimming or effect (when meeting kids, performing, etc.) If so what do/would you put on it? Would it be safe for the tail?

Just Curious:confused:

Spindrift
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
My tail just has a protective layer of silicone on it to protect it from the sun. It looks a little wet all the time.

Mermaid Dottie
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Depends on if you're a fish or a mammal...

Mermaid Dottie
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_HGEeyyrk

Mermaid Marissa
04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
My tail just has a protective layer of silicone on it to protect it from the sun. It looks a little wet all the time.

but you wouldn't put anything on it? Like surfers put surf wax on their boards?

Ayla of Duluth
04-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Earlier I saw someone mention something called permawet, its a can of spray that you put on silicone and it apparently makes the tail look wet all the time, even out of water.

Spindrift
04-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't put anything on it in the same way surfers wax their surfboards. Permawet works but it's a permanent layer of silicone.

Mermaasai
04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.therpf.com/f11/sealing-paint-latex-mask-130636/ <--- follow the link-
it has some really interesting suggestions for sealing latex.

Granted, I havent tried them yet, but I've been having some trouble with paint peeling from my tail after a few hours in the water. So I'm looking for a flexible clear sealant that will keep things sturdy. This has been the most useful page I've found so far.

Nemefish
04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
i had that same question and i just thought that baby oil would do the trick, even on a silicon tail... right? or does anyone suggest anything else? :3 :S

AniaR
04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
you gotta be careful, a lot of stuff can cause deterioration of latex or silicone. I think for short bursts- hair gel is what the movie makers use :D

Syrenia
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
The only thing I think I would ever put on my tail is baby powder, and that's just to keep it from sticking to itself. I've heard of a couple tailmakers putting silicone on it to make it look wet.

Mermaid Marissa
04-29-2012, 01:21 AM
you gotta be careful, a lot of stuff can cause deterioration of latex or silicone. I think for short bursts- hair gel is what the movie makers use :D

hair gel won't mess up the latex/silicone? What I was really looking for was the effect where if someone asked to touch your tail and they jump and go "oh! it's slimey!"

MermaidRaegan
04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I know Merman Jesse uses something on his tails that give it a "wet and slimy" look. I think it's something to do with the paint he uses.

Nemefish
04-29-2012, 10:28 PM

uuuuuuuh i never thought of that nice idea! hair gel huh? well ok :D

Mermaid Marissa
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

and this won't harm the tail?

Mermaid Azira
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
You could just keep a pitcher of water by you to put on your tail. Then say something about your tail having to not dry out.

Mermaid Marissa
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
You could just keep a pitcher of water by you to put on your tail. Then say something about your tail having to not dry out.

That would work :D thanks everyone!