PDA

View Full Version : Mertailor Silicone Tail..... (should I?)

BengalTiger
07-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm saving up for a MVD Latex tail but my boyfriend thinks I should get a Mertailor Silicone tail. Yes, he does know about all the drama with Eric but he likes them better. I trust Mike way more than Eric but... i dont know who I should choose. HELP:(

AniaR
07-24-2011, 05:55 PM
it depends on what you want! I'd personally go with mike for my own reasons but I have a feeling while you're saving there will be new realistic tail makers popping up I've been speaking with many ;)

Mermaid Star
07-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Please be sure you go for MVD.

BengalTiger
07-24-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling that there will be too:)

Spindrift
07-24-2011, 09:58 PM
How long do you want to wait for a tail?

Princess Kae-Leah
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I would go with MVD if I were you! His tails are very expensive, but I haven't heard anything but good things about them, and he has so many customization options. Also, it never hurts to check out up-and-coming tailmakers as well. Emily Angelfish now has an amazing line of high-end tails.

BengalTiger
07-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm definately going with MVD... my friend (who bought a mertailor tail) said he waited FOREVER for his tail. I was talking with Neotail and we were exchanging emails for a while then i stopped hearing replies.

Ayla of Duluth
07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
i have the same issue as you bengal, i want one of the mertailor's tails, but i want it to be made by mike because i trust mike more than eric. do you guys think that mike would make me a tail that looks like one of eric's? i'd even pay extra money for it.

mermaid hannah
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
i dont know, he might take that the wrong way you know, like mike trust you but i want a mertailor tail. i dont know drop him an email

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 12:11 AM
yeah i thought about that, i dont want to offend him. im stuck cuz i love mertailors tails but i trust mike to make them alot more because of all the good reviews. im really hesitant to ask him cuz him and eric might be good friends and i dont want eric to get mad at mike if he decides to make one of eric's tails. :/ i'll stay on the safe side and not mention it. one day i'll become good at making silicone tails and i'll make one like eric's.

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 12:14 AM
the thing i like about eric's tails is he makes oversized flukes, and i just think that looks wonderful. i also like the wide shape of the fluke where the tips point outwards instead of downwards. it looks more realistic and pretty. i think i'll just go with an mvd tail though.

mermaid hannah
07-27-2011, 12:20 AM
you could have mike make you a custom tail that you designed with all of those features you like, but other features that would set it aside from all the other mertailor tails.

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
thats acually a really good idea hannah, i'm sure he'd be more willing to do that than copy one of erics tails. i'll send him an email about it tody.

Winged Mermaid
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Keep in mind that Mike has asked that only serious inquiries be sent to his email- meaning if you already have the money, some idea of a design, and you know you want a tail from him. For this reason you will most likely not get an email back. Even so, he's booked until the end of the year and is currently not taking any more orders.

I know that if someone asked for a Mertailor tail design he wouldn't make it. He has his own techniques and style to his tails. He could however include the features that you like in a tail, like general fluke shape and size.

Ayla of Duluth
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I just sent him a short little email introducing myself and asking him what kind of customizations he'll do so i can get a general idea of what my limits are. dont want to burden him with a tail that is something completely different than what he's used to. :)

jukumerboii
07-28-2011, 02:56 AM
@WaterWolf,,,and that's y he is SO GOOD at his work,,u can go wild with ur imagination and i think he'll still make it,,non of his tails are a-like,,,i've seen some simple tails from him n then there are the WOW!! tails he's made!

Winged Mermaid
07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Also in concern of the Mertailor Silicone tails, I would make sure to inquire about the material or ask that only platinum silicone/dragon skin is used. Anything less quality wouldn't be worth ordering. Also I know there have been big trust issues with Eric, but honestly he kind of messed up with his line of latex tails with the quality of product, measuring issues, customer service issues, ect ect, and rather shot himself in the foot with that one. It's really hurt his reputation.

If he lets inferior quality or the same problems come about with his line of silicone tails, he's messing the reputation for a whole new line of tails. Tails that could bring in more and bigger clients because actual platinum silicone is considered "high end". I would hope he wouldn't make that mistake, again, and would make sure each of those tails is worthy of the "high end" label they tend to get. Otherwise he'd just be wrecking his business all over again and on a whole new level. Just my $0.02.

OrcaMatt
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
He posted on Facebook yesterday that he only uses Dragonskin

AniaR
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I have all ready heard some bad reviews about his silicone tails but they aren't mine to post I just encourage people to post their own here. I'm fairly certain he uses dragonskin too but ive caught him in so many obvious lies and I KNOW he has posted lies about a lot of things on his FB so it's hard to be sure. He's so obsessed with everything we say here he writes come backs on his page, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT because most of his fans arent on here and they only start to get critical of him because he shows them how! geesh

it doesnt hurt to put your name on MVD's waiting list. And Like I said there are a few different up and coming tail makers I know about who will be hitting the scene in the upcoming months and new years. Eric better spend his time perfecting his product, image, and customer services, because these new people are going to give him a run for his money. I have been talking to 3 different ones!

AniaR
07-29-2011, 06:46 PM
surprise surprise, mertailor is trolling our forum hard and made this post on his FB

Never did I think I'd see "Mertailor knockoffs" ("Imitation is the best form of flattery"), let alone "Mertailor Bashers" ("Any press is good press"). We only use quality rubbers in our mermaid tails such as Dragonskin silicone, a platinum silicone and a skin safe material. We've sold many of our silicone tails with only positive reviews. Thank you to all of my wonderful fans. Love all my little mermaids and mermen!

he got the knock off idea from me when i encouraged him to tell people they can get an original mertailor tail when he was freaking out about people copying. Find it pretty ironic too that he accuses other people of copying and stealing because you know, he just did this all on his own...! No help ever! He spends so much of his energy following us around trying to censor us and posts everything on his page looking for sympathy from his fans because oh no a LOT of people dont have nice things to say about him. I wouldnt call us mertailor haters, id call us very annoyed with mertailor.

BengalTiger
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Ha! I seen that too and was like "Are you freakin' serious?"
So immature....

Winged Mermaid
08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't go off of a FB post. I personally wouldn't and would advise others not to buy ANY products unless what ever tail maker you are ordering from unless it specify on their website that they do and will be using approved skin safe materials- specifically platinum silicone (dragon skin) or prosthetic grade latex. The caulking and lesser forms of latex and silicone have been so widely used and popular that they are referred to simply as "latex" and "silicone". They ARE technically, but the grades of the materials are NOT meant for skin contact and are not safe to be used like that. Not only are they horrid for your health and those of anything in the same water that you're swimming, but they simply do not last. I think of it as a money pit for a tail that will not last long and you will spend more money that you bargained for either replacing the tail or constantly repairing it.

If it says on the website (order page) that it's platinum silicone (dragon skin) or prosthetic grade latex that has legal standing, and therefore is the quality of product they MUST provide or they can be perused legally. A Facebook post? Not so much. Otherwise I would avoid ordering from them. I'm not just talking about Mertailor tails either.

AniaR
08-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I agree

Mermaid Star
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I am kinda scared to post this for fear of retaliation. But here it goes...

I know this is second hand information for me to post, and perhaps Siren can get on here and confirm, but she told me what Eric was using for his silicone tails when she was helping him in his workshop, and it wasn't Platinum Silicone, nor dragon skin.

merpirate
08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
opps sorry I pressed the wrong button I meant to say MVD, discount one vote for mertailor

AniaR
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
you're the only one so far, haha :P people gotta remember to set the polls so we can retract votes ;)

I wouldnt be surprised, he wont admit he uses Alex and he does.

Winged Mermaid
08-17-2011, 04:33 AM
I just want to say that at the MerCon I went over and felt Jesse's new tail that he made out of Dragon Skin then I walked right over and felt one of the Mertailor's silicone tails.. not the same. Not even close. There is no way that that is actual platinum silicone. I felt another tail that was textured the same that was also dragon skin (made by an SFX artist mer new on the scene) and again, not even close. Until he posts it on his website, and is legally responsible for the material of Platinum Silicone, I would NOT buy. All over the con I heard people talking and talked to people saying that their latex Mertailor tails were starting to break down, or had broken down so badly they had fallen apart or were just completely unuseable anymore (mine is getting there). This is what happens when you use less than quality materials- they simply don't last. It's not worth it to sink that much money into something that won't hold up. Not to mention whatever he's using is in direct contact with the skin, no neoprene barrier like with the "latex" tails.

AniaR
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Winged I had heard from several people the material of their silicone tails was not dragon skin. I also heard they didnt swim as well and chipped. They're beautiful- sure. Personally, I dont like the fluke shapes that much or the bulge at the feet- but if people are happy with them I am happy for them.

He doesnt say anything officially on his pages about his materials, and he lied anyway about using Alex. So yah, Im just so glad to be done with him :\

AniaR
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Iona, he just posted this on FB *rolls eyes*

Seriously, he must spend more time on this forum than even I do.

Mermaid Jewel
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow. That was quick too...can anyone say 'creeper'? (I have weird friends...)

MermaidAubrin
08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Yikes !!!

MermaidRaven
08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok...He told me not to talk about him and for the most part I haven't not because he told me not to but because I really just don't care lol BUT

Eric DOES use Dragon skin silicone. Ive been in his shop Ive seen him working with it and he gets it from smooth on just like mikes does. The reason it probably felt different was because there are several different types of dragon skin with different demold times, tear strength, working time etc. Also theres lots of silicone additives like thinners, thickeners, adhesives etc. Also it could be the way he mixed it as it is two parts. What mold you use can also change the texture of your silicone too like he uses fiberglass molds, some people use plaster or other mold plastics, silicone picks up every little detail. Also Eric probably uses a different painting method than the others. Any of these factors could contribute to the tail itself FEELING different from another silicone tail.

but yeah I have been in his shop and watched him work on tails so I know for a fact hes using dragonskin.

Im not sure why he doesnt want to put it on his website

*even tho he has decided he doesn't want anything to do with me.... I still feel the need to just clear this up just so theres no more guessing or misunderstandings.

Winged Mermaid
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I trust you Raven, but I will still continue to tell people not to buy unless it specifically lists the platinum silicone or prosthetic grade latex on a tail maker's website. He's not the only one known to use less than quality materials, and personally after seeing my tail degrade after two years I don't believe it's worth it to buy something that is less.

MermaidRaven
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh of course Iona. He tossed me out when again all I wanted was friendship and the best for him so its hard for me to support someone who wants nothing to do with me...but I just wanted to clarify since I do have the knowledge about silicones and I do know for a fact its what he uses. I don't really care if people do or don't buy his tails just making sure the info is out there for anyone who is confused.

AniaR
08-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Im pretty pissed he wont clearly state he did NOT make the mermaid tail for Gagas new video. Everyone thinks he does, and his way of addressing it is really ambiguously. Everyone loved this tail better anyway. No one seems to care she wore a stretch vinyl one too, LOL in a wheelchair.

While everyone was at the WMA's there were loads of things being posted on his page- someone even posted my mertailor video (you know that was deleted right away) and someone posted about their tail falling apart (alex) and asking suggestions on fixing it. I just wanted to screen cap everything and be all "See, see!" but Im trying to take a chill pill from the grudge since a grudge is basically the heaviest thing to carry ;) he's telling people now the tail in my video he made I only paid 100$ for and I didn't measure it bought it as it. *rolls eyes* at least- thats what a dozen of his followers keep saying he's said

melbel1023
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I just wanted to screen cap everything and be all "See, see!" but Im trying to take a chill pill from the grudge since a grudge is basically the heaviest thing to carry ;) he's telling people now the tail in my video he made I only paid 100$ for and I didn't measure it bought it as it. *rolls eyes* at least- thats what a dozen of his followers keep saying he's said

Its funny you say that, 'cuz I was just checking out the Mertailor's FB...He must be reading this site more than all of us combined! Look as this:

And this:

I can't tell if its scary or sad that he follows this forum more than most of its own members. If he was any real entrepreneur, he wouldn't be following us, he would learn from his mistakes that most of the people post about! Or, make a better product? Anyways, I'm sure I'll see some "witty" response to this on his FB before the night is out. (BTW, maybe if he spent less time online, he could focus more on making his product better!)

AniaR
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I dont like having to watch him all the time but he tells so many lies, and so many lies about US It's better to catch him in it then let people go on believing it. Like telling people I paid 100$ for my tail :\ geesh.

But you said it melbel, if he put half as much effort into his business he'd do better. Also, none of us call him out on our pages, and believe me I could. I could post my review, my video, and a big disclaimer. But no. I still give credit where credit is due and I dont say anything in my statuses etc I only answer honest questions without being bitchy when people ask me. I feel like the forum is my place to do that- but taking it to someone's PROFESSIONAL page and trying to exploit? Not cool.

inactive account
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Omg can someone tell The Mertailor to change the name of his tail's on his website listed as 'latex' when its clearly NOt latex its Alex or something similar. :mad:

BengalTiger
08-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I definately agree Neotail! They are definately not latex

Nerissa
09-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I ordered a Mertailor silicone tail last week. I've decided to give him a chance, because I can't wait until next year to purchase a MVD tail. I might order one later, though, because I really want that salmon tail! But it's the photoshoot I rushed for. And as said previously in this thread, I, too, want a Mertailor tail! I really like the shape of it. And Claudefish's review really got my hopes up.

I hope I haven't said anything here or in the emails I've sent him, that he could take wrongly and then make me a bad tail. I've sent him an email where I offered to write a review about the tail, but without swimming, as I live in the cold north and that would be terribly cold when I receive it during fall or winter. He hasn't responded yet. I hope I didn't make him angry or something when I asked if he knew what I had to pay in customs and VAT when it arrives...

I'm crossing everything that can be crossed! This is the most expensive thing I've ever purchased! I really do hope it's worth it. I took a chance, and I hope I did the right thing. I even used money that my parents and I have saved for me to use to pay for college or an apartement. But I'll pay that back during the next month, if I can get a job. I'm hoping this will turn out as good as the Mertailor promises. Gosh, I really, really, really hope so.

mikamer
09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
it's really sad people need to suck up to him to get a good tail. :\ maybe we should set this group so only members can view certain threads so people can feel free to talk the truth without fear of the wrath of the mighty mertailor

Spindrift
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I think that's been done... at least on mer.yuku.

Winged Mermaid
09-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I think it's really really sad that people feel that they can't speak their mind in fear of getting a bad product. It's not just people being afraid either that is the worst- it's that he's actually threatened a less than quality product for people who have deemed him less than perfect. As in "it was a bit too big" was unacceptable to him and wanted this person to say that the tail was perfect. I know, people come to me for help worried about it. I think this says a LOT about his professionalism. It doesn't matter if you have a beef with someone- you make them a quality product every time. The unprofessional nature he exhibits really just blows my mind.

I can make certian parts of the board members only, but he can fake an IP and create a user name to get around the bans in place. If he wants to read the forum, he's going to.

Nerissa, I really hope your tail turns out! I wish the best for you :)

BengalTiger
09-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Nerissa, I am praying for your tail to be very wonderful

Nerissa
09-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Thank you! This tail just has to be good. It has to be worth it. Truth will out, and my parents are going to find out, especially Dad, because I'm going to need him to help me fetching it at the post office, and the whole house is going to smell, as I've heard. I really hope he makes me the tail I've payed for. I hope he knows what he's doing. Even if people aren't always just writing good things about him, they always deserve to get what they pay for.

AniaR
09-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I agreed. He seems to put most of the effort into his silicone tails anyway from what I am seeing. I haven't heard too many negative things- just that they're really heavy for swimming which is going to happen no matter who your tail maker is, and that they chip easily and im not sure what you could do about that. But he seems to really like working hard on the silicone and I know he wants good feedback. So I'm sure you'll get the tail of your dreams- Claudio did and he's been over the moon! :) <3

Nerissa
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Yay! :D That's what I thought, that he gives most effort in his silicone tails. I really, really hope so! I look forward to see how it turns out.

Blaze
09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Ooo I am very jealous of you Nerissa (i covet the Silicone tails; wish I got one before the rpice went up!!) but thrilled that you are getting a tail! What color scheme are you getting?

As far as the negative reviews go just stay positive; i took a chance on mertailor too and my tail is on it's way to me right on schedule. <3 There is always hope!

Nerissa
09-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I really hope your tail will be as he promises as well! The colours I asked for were black as base, with red and copper. :) What colour is your tail?

Blaze
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I really hope your tail will be as he promises as well! The colours I asked for were black as base, with red and copper. :) What colour is your tail?

Ooo I bet that is going to be sweet! If I ever get a silicone tail I will go for a fire themed color palate. :D My latex tail is green; it's the one he posted recently saying it was on it's way to Texas. :D

Blaze
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Just got my shipping notice & tracking number from him! :D Of course it will probably arrive on my doorstep minutes after I leave for the airport (I'm headed to the New Orleans Burlesque Festival to perform at the House of Blues on Friday night!) & my Husband will torment me with teaser pics till i get home on Sunday. :p

For point of reference I ordered my tail on July 29th so we are right at the 6 week mark. I paid for 2 day shipping as well. he posted this pic of it on Sunday:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6141423474_23e186541b_z.jpg

APhishOutofWater
09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Looks great Scarlet!

AniaR
09-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Im sooo glad you're getting it in time yay! *high fin* I saw on his page a few people complaining about tails that were ordered in may (comments ended up deleted) so I was feeling VERY nervous for you ladies. I think all the public pressure has him making sure he's getting them out on time and good quality which is exactly the way it should be :) Make sure you post a review too, I hope it's everything you dreamed of and good luck this weekend!

Nerissa
09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Awesome! I really hope it fits and all!

thelocalmermaid
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Oh wow, that's beautiful!!!

Blaze
09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
It's here and it's awesome! Will post in a new thread. :D

Mermaid Natalie
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
hi,
well ive also ordered a tail by eric and he lett me wait 7 month and after all it does not suit well and he forgot to make any extras ive payed for so after all i cannot say anything good about him.
greetings mermaid natalie

Nerissa
11-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I haven't been here in a long while. Hmm.... I ordered this tail innnn... August. And now I received an email from the staff. They said that the tail and top are almost complete. I really hope he did it right. I get really... skeptical when Eric Ducharme didn't write the email himself. Even after I apologized he's still angry. I really hope he didn't ruin the tail, I hope it fits me and looks and feels as good as the price was difficult to handle. If not, I don't know what to do. I took money from my saving fund to afford this tail. It will take months to save that money again. And I can't let my mother know this. She will crack.
Wow, how much power Ducharme has right now. Wow.

AniaR
11-13-2011, 09:35 AM
So wait a second, you paid for it in August and it's now the middle of November? That's insane? What did you apologize for?! and what exactly does he mean by "staff" since he's constantly saying he doesn't have assistants and does everything himself? It's absolutely inexcusable to withhold your tail for 3 months because he's "angry". Perhaps you should start a new thread about this all. Customers shouldn't have to be afraid of Eric, he should be afraid of us.

Nerissa
11-13-2011, 09:43 AM
That's right. You're absolutely right! I was apologizing because... hmmm... actually, I didn't need to apologize. It was just a small minor.
They said the tail was delayed because of some... I don't remember, but I guess they are using that reason every time. Wow. I hope I never have to contact Ducharme ever again. The guy is so full of himself. Too full of himself after all that's happened.