PDA

View Full Version : Aww yeah. Plastic bags are now banned on the island of Oahu.

Spindrift
05-01-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.seathos.org/bag-ban-watch-2012-oahu-latest-hawaiian-island-to-ban-the-bag/

Just saw that posted on Mermaid Dana's page.

Do you guys know of any initiatives in your town/city to do something similar?

Kanti
05-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Sweet jesus I wish the rest of the US would do something like that @_@
Its awesome that this actually became a law!
Seriously, people in power do something right for once.

malinghi
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised they passed that. Way to go Hawaii.

Also, Kanti, I just clicked on your blog. All those things are so awesome! I can't believe you're so good at crafts!

Ayla of Duluth
05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I think they tried something here in the US with getting rid of plastic bags, but they found out it takes more energy to make a paper bag than a plastic one, plastic bags can be recycled to make new plastic bags for cheaper (if people would stop littering =,,=) and some other surprising points I can't remember.

Gem Stone
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
They don't allow bottles at certain swimming areas. Not sure if it would help though considering the beach is still open season

Mermaid Azira
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I love this!

Spindrift
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I think they tried something here in the US with getting rid of plastic bags, but they found out it takes more energy to make a paper bag than a plastic one, plastic bags can be recycled to make new plastic bags for cheaper (if people would stop littering =,,=) and some other surprising points I can't remember.

Maybe I'm just being picky about your wording, but Oahu is totally a part of the US... :|
I definitely feel that it's an initiative that needs to work it's way up though, instead of from the top down. Does anyone know if there are any local groups in your own communities who are fighting/working for this?

Ayla of Duluth
05-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky about your wording, but Oahu is totally a part of the US... :|
I blame that screw up on the fact that I'm blonde. xD

Bellasea
05-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Spindrift- I know that there is an orginazation where I live that is really big on telling the public about plastc baggies. I can't rember what they ar called. Friends for something. or maybe something with ceateans in the name, naybe even seals. I don't know, and I am too sick to even attept to try. They have a little both set up when ever there is a big event at the local maritime festival; they also arre seen at a lot of the fairs.

i keep trying to picture the logo on the guy's shirt that I talked with for like an hour, but yeah its not comming. Ithink the name might even have shellfish inclded in it.

New York Mermaid
05-02-2012, 11:00 PM
this makes my heart happy!!

Score one for the turtles!

Mermaid Arianna
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Portland banned them too! :)