PDA

View Full Version : there's only 55 maui dolphins left!

Mermaid Momo
05-02-2012, 06:52 PM
About the Maui's Dolphins

Maui’s dolphins are listed as Critically Endangered by both national (Department of Conservation) and international agencies (IUCN). By definition, this means “facing an extremely high risk of extinction”. The Maui's is a subspecies of the Hector's which is also critically endangered.
"...release of a new study that shows there are just 55 adult Maui dolphins left, less than half the amount recorded in 2005". No dolphin population of this size can be considered sustainable unless human impacts are reduced as far as possible.
Dolphin deaths in fishing nets (in particular gillnets) is known to be the most serious impact on Maui’s dolphins, as explained in the Threat Management Plan prepared by the Department of Conservation and Ministry of Fisheries. Luckily, eliminating fisheries bycatch would be relatively easy and cheap. The gillnet fishery produces low-quality fish, because the fish sit in the nets for up to 24 hours (longer if the weather conditions are poor and the fishermen can’t clear their nets every day).
Deaths of Maui’s dolphins in gill nets and trawl nets are easily avoidable, by avoiding use of this gear in their habitat. More selective, sustainable fishing methods, that do not kill dolphins are readily available. Using selective fishing methods would benefit not only dolphins, but also seabirds and the fish populations on which the long-term future of the fishing industry depends.

go to this page to join and face it!:
http://www.lets-face-it-dolphins.com/
oh and P.S: that info you see here is from the info page about the maui dolphins.
<strong>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aU0O57KJQ&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

Bellasea
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
That is horrible. "One Maui's dolphin represents more than 1% of the population." (came from vid!)

Kanti
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Wait, aren't those hector's dolphins? Or are they the same thing?

Omg I hope they don't go extinct ): I love those things so much...

Mermaid Momo
05-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Wait, aren't those hector's dolphins? Or are they the same thing?

Omg I hope they don't go extinct ): I love those things so much...

they're a subspecies of hector's dolphins. :)

Mermaid Lorelei
05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
^They are a subspecies of hector's dolphins.

Kanti
05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Yea I watched the video xD
Sorry, I freaked out the second I saw it. Poor dolphins! I hate hate hate longline
fishing >8( I wish we could label all those people criminals. The bycatch for that
is a huge waste

New York Mermaid
05-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I know about this, i wish there was something more that can be done for these animals. I believe its the chinese white dolphin what is now "extinct" I feel for them and all other endangered ocean animals, to think just how many animals will go extinct in our lifetime alone.. heartbreaking :(

Mermaid Momo
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
i know it's so sad! and the fact that lots of species has gone extinct in just my 15 years of life makes the future look very dim. I doubt that my children will get a chance to see marine animals that we can now anywhere besides a fake display in a museum and in books about them.

Merman_Shawn
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
This is heartbreaking! I posted this on my facebook.

SilverSiren
08-06-2012, 04:25 PM
This breaks my heart and makes me want to cry.

Mermaid Ashleigh
08-06-2012, 07:06 PM
thats really sad and seeing as theres no reason to kill them...u cant even eat dolphin its Mercury level is to high

Lyna
08-07-2012, 01:44 AM
wow i had no idea.

Mermaid Crystal
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I am crying! i love dolphins! We are merfolk we have to do something!

Mermaid Saphira
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
they are so adorable! It would be heart breaking to see them go extinct :( I agree with Crystal, there must be something we can do as mers! We are here to help protect our oceans and the animals that are in it!

Mermaid Annariea
08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
oh gosh, no D: theyre so cute! LOOK HOW CUTE THEY ARE!!!!
theres gotta be something we can do.