PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on a new tail

skysammi1
05-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Hello,

So I'm new to the mernetwork but have been dreaming of mermaids and my own tail for the past year. I'm almost 15 and desperatly want my own tail. I'd like to make one bu i don't know where to start. I'd love to buy one, but I'm a bit hessitant due to the prices and some reviews. I'm also not sure what would suit me. I'm really tall for my age, I've got olive skin, brown hair, dark brown eyes and quite thin. But I don't know what type of tail would be flattering? Please respond with some suggestions or advice, thanks so much!
:)

Blondie
05-05-2012, 02:46 AM
I think that a gold or an orange-like tail would look best on you! The "goldfish"/splash look has been "in" for this mermaiding season. I feel like I've seen a lot of them as of lately and they all look fantastic. Are you looking into having a latex, silicone, or fabric tail?

Mermaid Rillia
05-05-2012, 02:57 AM
agreed^

also draw out different flukes and then choose one that you think suits you best.
warm colors are good with olive skin. Reds and golds.
pearlescent paint colors give it a nice flair as well

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
You shoud probably start of by deciding what kind of material you will be using; latex? silicone? fabric? etc...
Ask yourself,which one will fit my budget? Or set a goal to earn for your tail.
Next try to sketch out design to get a feel of what your tail might look like.

Hope this helped :D

Mermaid Momo
05-05-2012, 02:48 PM
And on deciding what color it should be, Yes, as iblondie has said, the goldfish/splash look is in, but what i find looks the best is colors that either contrast with your skin color or one that is really close to it. Try looking at the color of shirts you wear that look awesome against your skin color, or if you like to paint your nails, try different colors on each nail and look at how they pair up with your skin color. Or, sometimes people get tail ideas from dreams they have or things that just pop into your head.

Kanti
05-05-2012, 03:13 PM
You could also go with a darker color with light highlights. Maybe a dark green with yellow highlights,
brown with blue highlights, or black with gold/orange highlights.

To make one yourself you have a lot of materials to choose from. You can go with a fabric tail which
is essentially just sewing spandex around a monofin inside. You could go with a realistic latex or
silicone tail, both of these require molds so they can be quite expensive. The cheapest option that
looks realistic is probably to use caulking over a neoprene base.

Ayla of Duluth
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
^ I like brown because it's such a versatile color. It goes well with every color because it's so neutral and natural. I prefer brown and blue personally.

Mermaid Star
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Greens and blues are definitely good for darker skin tones.

Bellasea
05-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I think blue would be nice. Also, I am getting my first tail from mermaid parties. since it is my first I am getting a fabric 1 and it's only 50 dollars. Which is cheaper than if I had made it myself.

skysammi1
05-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Wow everyone, Thanks so much you were all really helpful and i'm really happy with the number of replies. I was thinking of making a fabric tail and then applying hand silicone or plastic scales. I will probably be putting up spme designs soon so please give more feed back or ideas, thanks so much again :)

Mermaid Marissa
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
when I look for inspiration I look at different fish I like and see what color I think looks best.

theoceanblue
05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I would start with a nylon-spandex tail. Here are a few links to some websites

www.fabricsworldusa.com (http://www.fabricsworldusa.com)
If you go to "stretch fabrics" then "nylon spandex" they have $6.00 per. yard nylon-spandex. They also have free samples! I ordered some fabric from here and can't wait to get it!!!

www.stretchhouse.com (http://www.stretchhouse.com)
This place also has $6.00 per. yard nylon spandex. Though they arn't very organized. (I asked for one sample and they sent me four pages of other samples along with it, they also didn't label them so I had no idea what they were.)