PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Props

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I am helping a friend make a show about mermaids, but we have encountered an obstacle. We need to know how to make realistic props; coral, a cave much like that of the moon pool from h2o and alot more. We could really use your help! How can we make realistic coral to stick at the bottom of a pool, and/or how do we make a "moon pool" cave? If you do not quite understand what I am talking about, please tell me and I will try and explain it a bit better. ThanQ in advanced!! :D

michellerobison
05-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I've seen a show called "Tanked" where they build aquariums,maybe you can find a youtube of how to do it.

Mermaid Momo
05-05-2012, 01:45 PM
i think they make fake coral from aquarium cement that they paint then sponge with paint in a different color to make it look more realistic. And is your moon cave going to be in the water (as in touching it) or is it just going to go over maybe a hot tub, or part of a pool? because if it's going to not be touching the water, you can probably just construct it like you would a fake rock but instead of a round rock, make it into an arch shape with a back to it at an angle so that the front of the arch will be over your heads (think of the shape of a soccer goal frame). i'll go and look for some tutorials though.
What's the show going to be about by the way? because i love watching webshows, but they all seem to be another form of H20.

Mermaid Momo
05-05-2012, 02:13 PM
this isn't exactly about props, but if you'r making a show, your gonna need good audio so viewers will be able to hear you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZmxG_2q4A0
lighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFzIP_TN75A
the indy mogul profile has a lot of things for making indy films and props for films. check em out! now back to your specific question:
DIY sea fan coral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDWfowQ_hfU
fake paper mache cave prop: this one doesn't have a back to it, as it's just a wall, but you could probably just add a back to it and sit it over a hot tub or section of the pool.
http://www.drinkmorethinkless.com/mache/index.html
and this is for a small scale cave for lizards, but since its made from foam and expanding foam, i'm sure you can just make it on a larger scale. it seems really simple.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
^ ThanQ for the tutorials! For the cave we are just going to make it from expanding foam and paint. And I'm sorry to say I believe it is another rendition of h2o and I believe she is only making it for close friends and family

Mermaid Momo
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
aws. D: i would have liked to watch it.

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Just a though...If I could somehow make fake rocks that are light weight enough to swim to the bottom of the pool but are heavy enough to stay there I could simply glue on aquarium plants and what not :)

Kanti
05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I assume you guys live far from the ocean, but could you possibly film in a lake or a river?
Maybe you have some springs nearby or a national park that you could use to your advantage?
Making all those props yourself seems like it's going to be a lot of money and work when you
may be able to find a very pretty location for less effort o:

I don't know if you guys have them up there, but around where I live we have "freshwater" pools
which are decorated to look like natural settings. Maybe you can find one around where the show
is being shot at?

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I assume you guys live far from the ocean, but could you possibly film in a lake or a river?
Maybe you have some springs nearby or a national park that you could use to your advantage?
Making all those props yourself seems like it's going to be a lot of money and work when you
may be able to find a very pretty location for less effort o:

I don't know if you guys have them up there, but around where I live we have "freshwater" pools
which are decorated to look like natural settings. Maybe you can find one around where the show
is being shot at?

Sadly No "freshwater" pools here...I was simply going to use a pool, then disguise it as a "moon pool" by building a simple "cave" from expanding foam then painting it. The only thing I need help on right now is how to make just a few light weight rocks that can still sit at the bottom of a pool, but are light enough to carry down. I have alot of helping hands so I think I'll be okay + my dad is a carpenter ;)

Mermaid Momo
05-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I hear that aquarium concrete/clay is really lightweight when dry but heavy enough to not float up.

Mermaid Saphira
05-05-2012, 03:39 PM
^ Really? I'll look it up! ThanQ :)

Kanti
05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Ohh alright :')
Would expanding foam be difficult to sink underwater??
You should try out "Magic Sculp" or Smooth-on's "Free Form Air Epoxy Putty". Both products are
extremely similar. They both are very lightweight, very tough, yet can be sanded down, and both can
even cure underwater! I know Free Form is so light it can float on water, I dunno about Magic Sculp,
I'd probably have to read up on it.

I actually got ahold of the Free Form, and I can say it's great! It's very lightweight and when it dries
it's rock solid. My only gripe with it is that it's very airy and soft when you're sculpting it, so it's a bit
difficult to form into things.
I guess if you were to use that, your main issue would be to try and sink it. I suppose you could tie it
to a rock or two?

Spindrift
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
You can shape foam and coat it in cement. Just make sure to rinse it off really well so that it doesn't mess with pH levels and stuff. Also make sure that when you wash it, you don't just let it run into the environment - wash it in like a tub or something, then dispose of the water properly.

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Ohh alright :')
Would expanding foam be difficult to sink underwater??
You should try out "Magic Sculp" or Smooth-on's "Free Form Air Epoxy Putty". Both products are
extremely similar. They both are very lightweight, very tough, yet can be sanded down, and both can
even cure underwater! I know Free Form is so light it can float on water, I dunno about Magic Sculp,
I'd probably have to read up on it.

I actually got ahold of the Free Form, and I can say it's great! It's very lightweight and when it dries
it's rock solid. My only gripe with it is that it's very airy and soft when you're sculpting it, so it's a bit
difficult to form into things.
I guess if you were to use that, your main issue would be to try and sink it. I suppose you could tie it
to a rock or two?

Well, the expanding foam would only be used for the cave which is staying above the water. I also don't need the fake coral or rocks anymore...we are on a small budget so we ruled them out. It is mostly the cave that we are focuses on. I have chicken wire....could this be used at all?? We need this cave finished sometime before the spring, but we have a lot of time to build. ThanQ for all the help we have been receiving and we will continue to look out for useful things ;)

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Use the chicken wire as the frame for the expanding foam (you could make a chicken wire frame, cover it in paper mâché then put the expanding foam on top so that you don't have to use a lot of it and the cave will be really light weight)

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Also if you still want an oxen feel under water (I'm assuming that's what you wanted the coral and rocks for) you can buy extra large aquarium plants for really cheap and use them on the bottom. I started a thread about it somewhere :/

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
ThanQ for being so helpful :) the paper Mache does not apparently work with chicken wire, I have used it before and it just didn't work. And the large aquarium plants? I saw your thread and I like this idea...do you have any links for them??? ThanQ again

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170707610322&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=93026197754
here's one. It's a bit on the expensive side. Maybe go to micheals or Walmart and buy some long vines and test them to see if they float (you can use aqaurium cement or something else to make a heavy base to keep them down) and see if they float the way you want them too

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.livingcolor.com/aquarium-products/artificial-seagrass-and-kelp/
Here's another one, they don't list any prices though but you can email them and ask their prices.

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/artificialaquariumplant.html
The giant sea fern is a nice size and only $10