PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed top?

leeloo
05-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently got my realistic mermaid tail and while I ordered a shell top as well, it is very uncomfortable, especially the rope that is used for the straps. I was thinking about making a seaweed type of top, like maybe a tube top so it just looks like seaweed is wrapped around my body. What type of material could I use that would look like seaweed? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Aradia
05-06-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm actually currently making a seaweed-type top for myself. I've used a nude bra as a base and then gotten fake leaves from artificial flower stems and sewn it on. I highly recommend Mermaid Raven's Etsy store because she makes some gorgeous tops the same way. Also, till tomorrow she has a sale on everything in her store :D
Alternatively look around pet stores for fake plants that are used for fish tanks. They'll be water-safe so they won't fall apart when you swim and also they'd have fairly realistic plant designs.

Mermaid Marissa
05-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm actually currently making a seaweed-type top for myself. I've used a nude bra as a base and then gotten fake leaves from artificial flower stems and sewn it on. I highly recommend Mermaid Raven's Etsy store because she makes some gorgeous tops the same way. Also, till tomorrow she has a sale on everything in her store :D
Alternatively look around pet stores for fake plants that are used for fish tanks. They'll be water-safe so they won't fall apart when you swim and also they'd have fairly realistic plant designs.

I am also making a seaweed top and this is what I am doing^ fish tank plants come in a huge variety and you can decorate it with whatever you want!

Mermaid Marissa
06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Hmmm. What glue would you use to attach it? Would you suggest this for underwater use?

I have heard good things about aquarium sealant. I stays well in water and it's safe around fish (but I have yet to try it.)

Ilonka
06-07-2012, 02:54 PM
If you are gonna buy seaplants in bulk definately buy them on amazon or eBay. I bought a whole box full of different plastic plants for like $12.00 on eBay.

MermaidSarah
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Guess I'm not the only one with the idea for a seaweed tube top! :D

angie
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I have heard good things about aquarium sealant. I stays well in water and it's safe around fish (but I have yet to try it.)

Hmmm, aquarium sealant, you say? Do you know what it is like to work with? If it is a cauky texture I'm thinking of using it like ALEX plus. It comes in tubes, and for just a bra you wouldn't need too much. I think. This is all theoretical.

Mermaid Jewel
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I also am finishing one (eventually) but I just found plants that looked like seaweed at like Michaels. It's made of plastic and I just pulled the twigs apart and sewed them on (though now I found E6000 glue, I would do that instead). I used a green bra that's about the same color and I'm covering any parts with pearls and seaweed. I don't know how it will be affected by the chlorine though

Mermaid Saphira
12-24-2012, 09:01 AM
I saw a similar top in the movie "Aquamarine." I have wanted to make a seaweed top as well, considering that the work well no matter what color tail you have!

I have seen Aquamarine over 127 times and I have not once noticed she was wearing a top, I thought it was all hair. Maybe you have your movies confused? O_o

I plan on making a seaweed top. It will basically be a nude colored bra with clear elastic straps covered in seaweed, rainbow colored shells and pearls or other trinkets. I also plan on having strings of rainbow pearls cascading from the bottom to cover the belly alittle, but not a lot ;) I am super excited to work on this and I will definately keep you mers up to date on it, just swim by my "rainbow reef tail" thread!

Ithilindil
12-25-2012, 09:41 AM
How do you keep the seeweads on the bra? Do you stick them or sew them?

Mermaid Saphira
12-25-2012, 10:23 AM
^ I attach them with e6000 glue and/or sew them on with matching colored thread to make it a discret as possible :3