PDA

View Full Version : Okay what's the secret?

Blondie
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
What's the best way to save money for a tail?

I'm lifeguarding again since our park just opened up for the spring, but I'm not doing as many hours as I normally do in the summer. I make a pretty pitiful paycheck currently and I have $62/$200 saved up for my tail.

But I CONSTANTLY have to buy something! Most of the time it's gas or food. I just adds up so quickly! Especially if I have to buy food for my sisters when we're out. I just feel like every pay check I earn is sucked out of me before I can even think about using some of it for a tail.

I've stopped shopping completely, but I never was much of a shopper to begin with. So other then gas and food, I'm not paying for anything else really.

Should I start skipping meals? Hahahaha!!

What's the best way to make the most of your money and save up for a tail?

Bellasea
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
When we were tight for cash, we only had acertain amount of money avaiable. I forget how much total, but each pay check we only took out a enough for gas and food, then the rest was put into the bank. Also, we only spent cash, unless it as an emergecny. That could work for you.

malinghi
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
You can bike to save money on gas. Its good for your health too. Also, do you prepare meals at home? Eating out adds up fast.

Also, making your own tail can save a lot of money. What did you have in mind for the tail?

Spindrift
05-07-2012, 08:17 PM
You could enforce a 10% rule. Pay 10% of your paycheck to your tail fund before anything else. Then live off and spend whatever is left.

Mermaid Marissa
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
When I get my paycheck (I'm a camp counselor so I don't get much and it isn't all year :p ) I automatically put at least 10% in my savings. When ever I get coin change it goes right into the piggy bank haha :lol: and malinghi is right biking is a great money saver. I live in a neighborhood with tons of dogs and kids so (as corny as it sounds) I do little booth jobs at the park/beach by my house (small things like face painting, dog wash, and I sell jewelry I make) if you live in a place where there is a dog beach (and you like dogs) dog washing is quick and easy money. Owners tend to not want a sandy dog in their car and if you set up near the beach you get a surprisingly fair amount of cash. But I must stress that saving every penny you can will help, all that loose change you think you need in your wallet...that could be tail $ :lol:

Bellasea
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
^^ yes spare change!! That was how I got 30$ that I needed for my tail. Everytime I had a coin, it went into the big jar!

Blondie
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
You can bike to save money on gas. Its good for your health too. Also, do you prepare meals at home? Eating out adds up fast.

Also, making your own tail can save a lot of money. What did you have in mind for the tail?

It's going to be from Mermaidparties. I added up the cost of making my own tail and it would be more then hers.

When I get my paycheck (I'm a camp counselor so I don't get much and it isn't all year :p ) I automatically put at least 10% in my savings. When ever I get coin change it goes right into the piggy bank haha :lol: and malinghi is right biking is a great money saver. I live in a neighborhood with tons of dogs and kids so (as corny as it sounds) I do little booth jobs at the park/beach by my house (small things like face painting, dog wash, and I sell jewelry I make) if you live in a place where there is a dog beach (and you like dogs) dog washing is quick and easy money. Owners tend to not want a sandy dog in their car and if you set up near the beach you get a surprisingly fair amount of cash. But I must stress that saving every penny you can will help, all that loose change you think you need in your wallet...that could be tail $

Where I live, small little jobs just never work out. I've tried dog walking/washing/pet sitting and most people turn a deaf ear to me. I don't know why people just never go for it. I tried babysitting before too and I hated it. I'm too much of a push over to take care of kids xD I have a piggy bank going. I'll have to cash that in soon...

MermaidRaegan
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm currently saving for a MP tail as well, and I'm working a rather crappy summer job that doesn't pay much either. I also use a piggybank for all my change, and I cut corners on spending whenever I can. I don't eat out, I buy storebrand food and try to stay away from splurging on junk or sweets (my weakness) when grocery shopping. Also, maybe you could work out a carpool with a friend from work. That'll save you on gas. :)

Blondie
05-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm currently saving for a MP tail as well, and I'm working a rather crappy summer job that doesn't pay much either. I also use a piggybank for all my change, and I cut corners on spending whenever I can. I don't eat out, I buy storebrand food and try to stay away from splurging on junk or sweets (my weakness) when grocery shopping. Also, maybe you could work out a carpool with a friend from work. That'll save you on gas. :)
I'm glad we're on the same page! I eat out normally two times a week. It's my absolute number one weakness. I just love food so much xD And Chilis is just too good!! That's going to be my goal now I think. I'll pick up cooking myself and ditch the restaurants.

MermaidRaegan
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Fooooooooood. :9 It is my krypotonite. But if we both pinch our pennies, we'll get there!

And I agree that Chile's is fantastic. :D

Coradion
05-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Work a job where you can make tips? I have 3 part time jobs on top of being a full time student and most of my money goes towards bills, tuition, and food. I'm making my own tail but will hopefully be able to make some kind of return on it from free diving tours. For saving tail money my main issue is that other things really are a lot more important, the majority of the money from my 2 primary jobs goes towards bills and cost of living which I have set amounts. My 3rd job I can make a bit in tips so that's what funds my tail.

Spindrift
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
I thought you did pageants? How do you come up with the money for the entry fees?

AniaR
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
look for sponsors!! :D

Blondie
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I thought you did pageants? How do you come up with the money for the entry fees?
I did -a- pageant. It was very hard to get by too and it was a $300 entry fee. I had my family's support and my relatives help me out with it. And it was for a scholarship so the money all went to a good cause.

Asking my family for money for a tail is a toootally different animal. My family won't help me out with it and my relatives are more closed mind then my family haha so they wouldn't donate. Which I see where my family is coming from. If I use my money for something like this, they won't care. My mom's a bit of a penny pincher to begin with so she would NEVER put a penny toward a costume (She hated buying Halloween costumes when I was younger).

Work a job where you can make tips? I have 3 part time jobs on top of being a full time student and most of my money goes towards bills, tuition, and food. I'm making my own tail but will hopefully be able to make some kind of return on it from free diving tours. For saving tail money my main issue is that other things really are a lot more important, the majority of the money from my 2 primary jobs goes towards bills and cost of living which I have set amounts. My 3rd job I can make a bit in tips so that's what funds my tail.

What sort of jobs do you do that gives tips? Like waitressing? I applied to be a waitress at a restaurant and they told me I needed to be 21 to be a server because of alcohol...

Spindrift
05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Restaurants like Friendly's and diners will hire you then, because they don't serve alcohol.
Wow the entry fees are expensive! I did pageants in the Miss America system to support the charity and for the scholarship money (and because my family really wanted me to), but it was only $100.

mermaidcatherine
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
What about birthday/holiday money? I'm planning to use the money I get for my birthday to pay for my tail.

Mermaid Star
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Going out can really add up. Cut out going out. Make meals at home. If you really need to go out or you will get depressed, only go out once a week and only pay for your self. It they can't pay, they stay home. Merpirate and I are going on a cruise. We never thought that we could afford it. Then one day we got a wild hair and decided to look into it. I found that we didn't have to pay the full balance until 3 months before we set sail. We found that we could pay $20 a week each and easily make the payments needed to pay off the cruise before the sail date, Currently we have paid over $1000! It didn't even hurt! :) I never realized how $20 a week could really add up. We will be continuing this for our savings in the future.

Blondie
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
What about birthday/holiday money? I'm planning to use the money I get for my birthday to pay for my tail.
I'm planning on using some of my graduation money for my tail too. My birthday isn't until the fall so :P Too late to get a tail by then. I just gotta wait till June 1st to get some money from graduation then!