PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice BADLY!

embry
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I need some advice BADLY!

Ok, so these last couple of years i have been having problems keeping a job. things like being fired (for stupid things like brainwashing the staff lol) and being let go because the corporate store went franchised and the new owner didn't want the staff cause he could run it himself. anyways most of my work has been in the pet industry about 11 years and some out of it like the body shop and such. i currently just got this low job at a local pet store like today was my 5th shift there. but i have noticed that there is allot of drama i mean ALLOT and the staff don't clean or care for the animals. not only that its really hard to not want to take all the animals home. nor have i been trained on any paperwork or how to do anything their way. i know pets so i don't need to learn that. and the pay sucks and the hours suck as well. so the tuff part. i met a friend on twitter awhile ago and we hang out and such and she owns a local clothing store (think lulu lemon but Canadian) she is opening up her second location and needs staff and wants me to be apart of it. it will have the clothing store plus yoga studio as well. she said me and my boyfriend will get free yoga plus i can use the studio for dance (i used to dance professionally but gained weight and now dropped it and want to get back into it) and the hours and pay is better and also she does a ton of local events and she said if we choose to go she would pay us to be there to support the label of her clothing.

i have no idea what to do. i want to go to this new place but my friend said i should hold out for the petstore in hopes it gets better. my boyfriend will be super pissed if i go to a different job and he has to pay my portion of the bills again (i owe him tons of money and still trying to pay him back)

what do you think i should do?

mermaid hannah
05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
hm...well..i always think that do whats going to make you happiest in the end..if it seems like the pet store is going to be a stressfull drama full environment then drop it and go to the yoga shop.. :)

lulu lemon is canadian..or was until they sold it any way btdubbs.. :)

Spindrift
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't quit until you know absolutely for sure you can get the new job. And if that happens, leave a letter to management explaining why you're quitting and how it's not a healthy environment. If those animals aren't getting cared for and it's really bad you should report them.

Kanti
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
If the pet store job is stressful and the pay sucks then I suppose leaving it would be for the better.
Maybe what you can do, is write your manager or your district manager a letter and voice your concerns
with your job as it is now. Tell them all the problems, but don't point fingers at people directly. Maybe if
you show initiative and a willingness to point out issues and give ways to resolve them, upper management
may consider taking direct action against the problems and they may even recognize you as having
management skills.
If that doesn't work and you find nothing changes and you're still in this dull, unfriendly environment, maybe
it is time to move on.

However, like Spindrift said, I'd try to make absolutely certain that the other job is an 100% positive get and
that you won't be put down at the last second.

Sephina
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I would honestly try working both for awhile just to make sure that her business doesn't go under, and that she can provide you with the promised hours. Honestly if the animals are not being cared for properly I would just do my best to clean them a little more often, make sure there is fresh water and food, even if it is more often then what the company policy is. If it is really bad then I would report them, it is confidential and no one has to know you did it. This is why I am so glad that they are no longer selling dogs in the big chain pet stores anymore in NS, and some of them aren't even allowed to sell exotics anymore. They always looked so depressed being jammed in behind the glass with only small air holes, I've even seen adult boxers in cages meant for puppies, he could barely stand and when he layed down it was nose to rump against the sides. It's also what made me change my mind and I only go to small stores now and encourage others to go there. One of my favorite pet stores actually lets their puppies roam around the store, and their cats too. Not only is it ridiculously cute to see (imagine walking through the doors and being greeted by puppies or kittens), I think the socialization makes them a better dog/cat.

malinghi
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
I really don't see why theres so much urgency with this. You should be able to take some time to think about it, make sure the offer is on the level, and make necessary preparations before leaving you current job (if you choose to take the new job). And if you really do need to act fast, then it sounds like your friend is pressuring you to do something hasty. If they are, that seems kinda unprofessional, in which case you should feel comfortable turning it down.

Also:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s400/ALOT.png

embry
05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Ok, well the place has been contacted about the trouble with animals many times. so it seems like an ongoing problem with them. i can only do my best and as much as i can there. as for writing a letter to head office i am not willing to do that as i did that in a last job and it got turned around on me and made me look like i was the horrible person and i had no one on my side to help say that i didn't do those things. i am not pressured in anyway to go to the new place at all and i am really taking the time to think about it. i am going to my friends place today to kind of talk to her more and answer questions. thanks for all your help truly made me think and i am going to wait it out and think of all my options before taking the jump..

Mermaid Dottie
05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
If those animals aren't getting cared for and it's really bad you should report them.

I would honestly try working both for awhile just to make sure that her business doesn't go under, and that she can provide you with the promised hours.

Good Luck, Embry! I know you'll make the right decision.

Mermaid Pearl Bae
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Follow your heart, it's cliché, but true. If you feel wrong working for someone who is bad to the animals, then leave, and report them. If you still need the job, then stay there. But I would definitely, whether you do both or not, jump on the opportunity with your friend.

embry
05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
well i got together with my friend today to talk business and meet the other people at the new location. i hear tomorrow on what the verdict is and see from there i am still tossed on it. but i see me going in a new direction in my life.. i guess only time will tell! i will keep you posted and again thanks for your input! its been helping me

Sitre Seer Moroaica
05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
If the animals are being mistreated I would report the store and the mistreatment you have seen, talk to the manager about this mistreatment and that they are lacking on teaching you the proper ways around the store and if you are for sure positive that you can get that other job then quite and go for it. Those Animals should not be left behind to be mistreated like you are saying. For me the Animals come first then me.