PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

AniaR
05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I wanted to share something thats going around online right now, and also share a bit of a personal story that I hope will inspire you all. I know for those of you still waiting to get tails, trying to make them, or even swim in them this hobby we all share can sometimes seems like an impossible goal. You watch others doing it and think, why can't this be me too?

Or maybe there's something else in your life that seems impossible to deal with, or achieve, and it's got you down.

So, I was born 4 months premature, back in the 80s when babies born premature just didn't live. My parents were told not to get attached to me because I would die. I weighed 1lbs and 11 ounces, I was so small you could fit me in your hand and I had to wear cabbage patch kids clothes. I spent the entire first year of my life in the hospital, a good deal of it in an incubator, and there are only a handful of photos of me from that time. I was not a pretty baby, I was a little robot baby with wires and tubes coming in and out of me. But since Im sitting here typing this you know the story has a good ending, because I'm still here.

For the rest of my life, I started doing things doctors always said would be impossible. I was very sick growing up, I had a lot of symptoms of cystic-fibrosis and would wake up in the middle of the night frequently with my lungs filled with fluid. At the time they didn't know what this was- but now a days they know that one of the drugs my mother was given to try and stop my early labour directly caused a defect in my lungs that still hangs around today. Doctors still continued to tell my now divorced parents that I wasn't likely to live through childhood.

Again, you know the story ends well because I did. I actually got sent to Disney through the make-a-wish foundation which was kinda cool.

Through my teens years I was often sick, sometimes bedridden, and on top of it all I was dealing with a mentally ill, alcoholic, abusive parent. My mother has borderline personality disorder, and through my whole life she'd always been an alcoholic, quite abusive, and very mentally off the norm but for whatever reason when I was a teen things sorta came to a head and people finally started paying attention. My mom went in and out of the mental hospital, and despite all the things that were going on she still managed to maintain custody of me. People with BPD are often very charming and quite brilliant liars, and Ive learned through therapy and reading books on the subject of having a paret with BPD that many abusive parents are able to manipulate the system to keep their kids and this is what my mom did for many years. I felt hopeless and like happiness was impossible. I was being beat up mentally and physically, put in really dangerous situations, faced constant neglect (no food, filthy surroundings, basic needs not being met) and I turned to suicide.

I thought it was my only way out, that what I was facing was impossible. Thankfully, I didn't do a very good job (let's be honest here, I didnt actually want to die I just desperatly wanted out of my situation and to get some help) and the courts finally granted my Dad custody of me and I got into therapy.

Living with my dad was no cake walk. It was a million times better than my mom, but they were insanely strict, had some issues with my younger sisters, and were very religious. I figured though, if I could make it through what I did with my mom I could make it through a dumb curfew and going to church ;)

Flash forward a few years to my late teens and early twenties and out of the blue I am riddled with chronic pain in my legs. It gets so bad that even having pants or blankets on them hurt, I can't walk, Im in constant pain, and I don't know why. I have a million other health things going on, and obviously a lot of post-traumatic-stress from what I lived through with my mom, and once again things feel impossible, like how in the heck am I going to get through this.

I finally get some diagnoses and Im labelled with a bunch of different illnesses, and then when it comes to my chronic pain the doctor I was seeing had a very grimm outlook. He explained that there's not a lot of data out there for people my age and older who have survived being born so early. So they dont know what happens as the babies grow. but the trends show that many of us die in our early to mid twenties even if we have a healthy childhood/teen years and for a lot of the people in the studies that did die things started out like what I was experiencing. If that wasn't totally scary enough, the doc says he thinks there's a large chance I have MS as I have all of the symptoms.

I dont know how much you all know about MS but I basically felt like between all the diagnoses I got and what he said about people like me I felt totally lost and like I had an expiery date that was coming up very soon. I got very very depressed. I spent most of my time in bed, I was encouraged to go to physiotherapy but I couldnt be bothered because the whole process hurt so much and I didn't see the point. I still had my mother in my life, and even though I wasnt a kid she was as abusive and selfish as ever. My father refused to admit or face what I was up against feeling very much like if he just prayed and had faith I'd be okay- a nice notion, but I needed actual support and to talk to someone. I had just started seeing my current boyfriend before this all started and he went from having a semi-normal GF to one who was in bed all the time. I was scared he'd leave me.

It all just seemed impossible. And that's when I discovered Annette Kellerman, and Hannah Fraser :) I bet you can guess where this story goes now! I started researching them both, from my bed with my laptop. Annette - I wont go into too much detail because I wrote an article about her being published that I'd love you to read- but she went through a LOT of what I went through specifically on the illness end. She used swimming as a means of combating her illness. And Hannah Fraser, I mean here was a woman living this mermaid dream of mine that I thought I was the only person to have, and she's so amazing an elegant, and awww hell how could I ever hope to be like that?

One day, I just sorta snapped, and realized if I was going to die then gosh darnit I'd die happy and doing things I always wanted. So, I started swimming. I'd never properly learned to swim but just being in the water was a lot easier than my physiotherapy. It still helped my body a lot and soon enough I was actually able to do physiotherapy. I got in with a new doctor- one who'd take a multidisciplinary approach to addressing my health concerns, and I got a therapist. I finally cut off all contact with my mom and I started saving and fundraising for a tail. Life kept going and I got stronger and healthier under my new doctors regeme. He didn't think I had MS at all but had a theory that I did indeed have a neurological disorder common in pre-me kids that tended to only rear it's ugly head after we become adults and stop growing. With all my other illnesses not being addressed my body combined with this went into overload. So he focused on addressing all my issues, lowering my stress, and treating my PTSD. I still had all the tests for MS, and despite it all I had all the symptoms except one very important one, and low and behold, I no longer had an expiery date!

I worked my butt off, taking victory when I could walk down the stairs instead of slide on my butt, happy when I could get through a regular day without too many pain breaks, before I knew it the days I felt healthy started to outnumber the days I didnt, and very soon were less and less. I basically learned to walk all over again, learned to get my balance (really hard and embaressing to do when you're an adult lemme tell ya haha) and started to make the needed changes to my diet and environment that sound simple enough but really werent.

Low and behold, I was finally able to get my first mermaid tail. A stretch vinyl one without a monofin, but a start. And I'll be damned if I didn't wear a life jacked the first time I jumped into the water with that thing on :P just in case. I used my "practice" tail to learn the basics of mer-swimming, and even though I wasn't the best it just boosted my confidence so much more, and gave me something to work toward. I started planning who I would be as Raina and how I would get there, I started setting goals, and when I was finally able to afford a realistic tail I could hardly wait to get started.

And you know this part of the story, where I hit a wall with my unusable tail. I was crushed. I felt like i'd basically changed my whole life and worked toward this point, and now I wouldn't even be able to do it. With no other options for a tail I was crushed. I tried to make do, but it really drove me crazy how close I came to my goal only to have something happen outside of my control that felt like a "choke" in the last moment. Again, I felt like my dreams were impossible. Why even try? I felt real negative, and then a friend brought me into mer yuku :) and you know how that goes too.

I finally got my tail fixed thanks to one of the amazing friends I've made- Raven. And I could use it. A year after that I finally got the realistic tail of my dreams and my mer-persona and business is finally where I always wanted it to be. I made these things happen, with help and encouragement, when everyone else said I couldnt, when even I thought I couldnt. I found a community in all of you, and I also found genuine people in my real life.

Latley I have to admit, I've been feeling really down. There are no jobs in my field and with cuts being made to education I am starting to get that negative feeling, here I've spent 8 years of my life in university trying to prepare for this moment and it's taken out of my hands. I feel like I'm up against a wall again, something impossible.

And then this little gem showed up in my news feed on fb http://www.godvine.com/Man-Barely-Able-to-Stand-on-his-Own-Does-the-Unthinkable-Amazing-1476.html

It's a video of a man who was disabled and really overweight. He could barley walk with assistance. He was told things he wanted were impossible. With a little help and determination, he turned that around and I think a lot of you will be bawling by the end of the video. I know I was. Seeing it was the little reminder I needed to go, hey, you've gotten through worse Raina, you'll get through this.

So I thought I'd share my story with you, as well as the story of this man, in hopes you'll feel inspired and know that you CAN achieve your dreams. I know for some of you it may feel like it's impossible. You'll never have the time, you'll never have the money, you'll never get the things you want, but you can and you will! I was told I'd end up not walking, and look at me swim! Haters can tell me I suck all they want when it comes to my swimming but I am prouder of that than most anything else. You will always have haters, you'll always have people that zero in on that one thing you've worked hard on and feel insecure about and push that button. But they do that to feel better about themselves, and really because they just dont understand what it's like to overcome something like that.

So I hope this inspires you, and I'd really love it if people would share their personal stories about hard things that they've overcome! Or how they've gotten where they are in their mermaid journey. <3

AniaR
05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I also posted this on tumblr for those of you who are tumblr savvy http://rainamermaid.tumblr.com/post/22783639421/a-true-story-of-overcoming-and-becoming-a-mermaid

Spindrift
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Beautiful story Raina! I'm going to start a motivational thread now. :3

Spindrift
05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
... Also you were a cute baby (bathtub picture).

AniaR
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
... Also you were a cute baby (bathtub picture).

thanks ^_^ I think I was two or three. My dad only has photos that start around there, my mom has the only few baby photo :/ and I wont be getting those any time soon lol. Thanks for checking out the tumblr link! <3

Merman_Ryan
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Since I don't contribute the a lot I should say my inspirations:

1. http://www.discountdisplaycases.com/images/products/p-83279-darryl-hannah-mermaid-in-splash-8x10-photo-cotg-8celeb-dhann01.jpg

While I disagree with a lot of Daryl Hannah's personal life choices she was the first REAL mermaid I ever saw. Yeah I saw people in tails before but nothing as realistic and believable.

2. Mermaid Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhsGIwgUCJ4

While Splash was the first Mermaid Island brought the concept of many different mermaids of all types. Different races and tails colors were seen and it was SO refreshing, while in some ways it was a ......"swimsuit video" it was very different and new to me.

3. Garnette and Foxmoon Productions

While others had made tails before, there were very few that made it available to the public and if they did it was at a high price. Angela (Garnette) made it affordable and help me believe in myself to put on a tail and not be afraid to be a merman. Angela, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

4. YOU GUYS - You've given me a place to chat when I can and to belong.

5. My ongoing dislike of Ariel -

Yes I turn hate into creativity. Everything that I dislike of the Disney Merfolk I try to turn around and make them tougher, stronger characters, more individuality, mature and to qoute Holy Grail: "NO SINGING!"
Not to say there isn't room for kid friendly mer but there is room for something different.

Not to interrupt your post Raina. You deserve all the success you've had and a better person then I'll ever be. :P

babsannee
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Raina,
That video was amazing.
I feel a little creepy saying this to someone I've never met, but it's true, you are awesome! When I first entered this community, you were the first person that stood out to me. You are always cool and collected. As I've said before, I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), and it dominates my life sometimes. But when I got on here, and saw you and the others, I felt confident. But now I have had the time to read your posts about the issues you have worked through, and it's inspiring. I'm confident to wear my tail, and not be nervous. I just wanted you to know that your stories ARE inspiring, and that you should keep doin' what your doin'! That video was very touching, and almost brought me to tears.
Thank you for sharing it with us!!!
Mermaid Pearl

AniaR
05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Thank you Pearl :) I am inspired by everyone here on a daily basis! I certainly wouldn't be where I am if not for all the people on here urging me to try things and put myself out there. <3 I think a lot of people on the forum have some form of anxiety too- I seem to remember a thread about that kinda stuff. So you're not alone! If you ever need to talk there are people here who have been there too!

mermaidcatherine
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Raina, that is an amazing story. I'm tearing up reading it. It's amazing seeing what people who struggle with physical and mental illnesses use as ways to aid recovery and use as coping mechanisms.

Prince Calypso
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
honestly Raina, you, raven and Hannah became my inspirations.
the first time i saw Hannah on a video swimming i actually cried cause i was just so taken with how beautiful she was and how there was another person out their who believed in mermaids.
then i saw raven and i was like omg another one!
then you and i fell in love with your tail cause it was inspired by splash and the fact that you were just so determined!!!

anytime anyone ask me about mermaiding or mermaid tails i always try to think "you gotta word this right. what if the girls (Raina, Raven and Hannah) were here. you don't wanna say something stupid"

after my awakening to mermaiding i just went mercrazy i watched every season of H2O on hulu and youtube
then splash 1 and 2
aquamarine over fifty times (honestly i can quite the entire movie in my sleep)
then every manner of tv show where maids were even mentioned or featured
read every book on mermaid you can imagine
obsessed over the little mermaid for almost an entire year... and beyond to present day
and kept tabs on you and the other mers as often as i could

so i want to say thank you raina for being my inspiration

AniaR
05-11-2012, 10:25 PM
the first time i saw Hannah on a video swimming i actually cried cause i was just so taken with how beautiful she was and how there was another person out their who believed in mermaids. I know the feeling :D

Thank you for being my inspiration too!!! <3

Spindrift
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Nice, Raina! Hannah Mermaid shared your link on her FB wall!

AniaR
05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
yeah I saw *blush* :D

LittleTreasure
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't have anything very new to say here but I agree with Prince Calypso... You and all the other mers out there inspire me. You've worked so hard to get where you are today and I'm glad I was able to find this amazing forum.

AniaR
07-09-2012, 09:20 PM
So I wanted to post here again,
My health has been backsliding, I havent talked about it in public yet, but my range of motion has gone down, pain is starting to come back, and some problems occurring. I started back at physiotherapy today, they're quite confident by going bi-weekly for the next few months and doing intense rehab at home as well I'll get it all back, and I just gotta say if I wasnt working so many mermaid jobs there's no WAY i'd be able to afford this. Contrary to popular belief we dont have free health care here. Yes doc apps etc are covered but physio comes outta pocket. It's 150-300$ a month for me, so these gigs have been paying for it and massage therapy (which also is about 150-300$ month)

I am so thankful to be in a place where I can actually do a job like being a mermaid, and be able to pay for much needed physiotherapy. So so so thankful

Lyna
07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Not only are you a beautiful mermaid, but a beautiful person as well. You have my standing ovation.

Thalassa
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Raina, you know this, but I just wanted to reiterate that you are my foremost mer-inspiration. I don't know if it's your story or the fact that you're in education, but I both identify with you and really look up to you. You are such an amazing person. I love you...as much as it's possible to love someone you've never met (oh my GOSH that sounds creepy...hopefully you know what I mean XP).

Just wanted to say on the education job front...I know what you mean. Just earlier this year I was really feeling hopeless, like I'd NEVER get a job. With over 200 applicants for every position and jobs being cut, it was really looking hopeless. I kept thinking "I've been looking for a job for THREE YEARS. Maybe I should just look for another career." But there was nothing I loved more than being around and teaching kids. So I kept trying, and I have a wonderful job lined up in the Kindergarten this year! I never wanted to teach Kindergarten (not that I don't like it, it just wasn't on my radar) but everything just fell into place. I'm POSITIVE that for everyone that loves kids and teaching the time WILL come when they will be able to do it.

You're my mer-idol. Don't you ever forget how cool you are.

spottedcatfish
07-10-2012, 03:24 AM
I don't even know what to say! Raina, after reading your inspirational and motivating post. I am now inspired to follow my dreams and do what I need to do with my life, so that I may live a fulfilling life. You have also inspired me to take up this hobby of mermaiding, and after reading this, to live without fear or judgement of what others think or how they act towards me. I have an inspirational story too that I'd like to share. I'm originally from Australia, and I was also a premie, born at 26 weeks, or around 3 months before my due date. However I was not alone at my birth. My mother had triplets, and I was the first of three female babies to be born. Sadly, one of my sisters did not make it. So, I grew up with one sister, not two, and we were twins. Not identical, and vastly different in every single way. We didn't really have a sisterly relationship growing up and today she has disowned me and my parents, and most of her family.

Growing up for me was rough, I had a lot to overcome. There were complications with the birth, which caused many physical, and some developemental disorders and a single ear 100% deafness, caused by after birth medications. My parents were told I would never walk or talk. They did not accept that reality, and made sure that I learned to walk, at age 3, and I talked by age 2. There was still a lot for me to accomplish and sharpen, which I did during the first 19 years of my life. During my childhood, I was enrolled in speech therapy till the age of 18, an some physio-therapy which I stopped at about the age of 8 or 9. My biggest obstacle however, was trying to fit in at school, and sometimes children can find it hard to accept people who have physical problems that are very visible. I was bullied a lot during my childhood. Even today, this history is hard for me to accept. But things did get better, when I moved to the United States with my family, to help my grandfather. Both my parents are American, and have family here. My Granddad passed at age 96, in May. He had a good and fulfilling life. One I hope to live too, and possibly see the age of 96 years one day. I have overcome a lot in my life. Thank you for your inspirational story, and I hope you know that you are not alone, as we all have our stories to tell.

AniaR
07-10-2012, 06:59 AM
thank you SO much for sharing everyone! <3