PDA

View Full Version : spandex and ALEX?

mermaid hannah
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
hi. me and a friend are making spandex/swimwear tails and we would like to cover them in alex for a more realistic look to it. so we would get the swimwear fabric we like and follow the process and get clear ALEX and just cover the tail with it, and follow the scale process and then let it dry and leaving it at that and then sew it. would that work or would that be unsafe?

thanks

xoxo

mermaid hannah

Spindrift
07-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I think we've had several warnings that ALEX on spandex is probably not safe since it can get onto your skin.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't do that if I were you. ALEX can be very toxic, so it's really nothing to play around with, and you know what they say, better safe than sorry.

Mermaid Star
07-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Agreed, you need something a little thicker than swim fabric to keep you safe by creating a protective barrier. Neoprene is what its recommended. Of you are really set on using the swim fabric as your color though. Perhaps your could try to sew the swim fabric to the neoprene and then do your scales on top of that. That way you get the look you want while staying safe

mermaid hannah
07-25-2011, 01:40 AM
ok. well. i guess i wont do that then. i could sew the swim fabric onto the neoprene i just didnt want to but neoprene because its uber expensive here. but i guess i might have to buy it online, oh well.

Capt Nemo
07-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't do that if I were you. ALEX can be very toxic, so it's really nothing to play around with, and you know what they say, better safe than sorry.

ALEX is not very toxic at all. If you want something really toxic try CARC paint! That stuff was so toxic we had to wear full MOPP (chemical warfare) gear to paint.

ALEX consists of:

Water
Acrylic latex
Amorphous silica (silicone) 5%
White mineral oil 5%
Ethylene Glycol 5%
Ammonia 1%
Formeldahyde 0.5%

The last 3 are the most problematic. The ammonia offgasses to allow the acrylic latex to cure, so it's gone when the tail is cured. Even liquid latex has ammonia at a 2-3% level. Not sure, but the ethylene glycol may slow the cure, it is also known as polyfunctional alcohol, and all alcohols are water soluble, so it will leave the tail if soaked. Ethylene glycol can cause liver damage if ingested in large amounts, however it is found in Dr. Pepper, and is the main component in theatrical fog juice. The formeldahyde has been labeled as a carcinogen, and may act as, or be a product of the curing silicone. It will also leave the tail if soaked. All the precentages above are maximums for ALEX and will change from batch to batch.

If the tail is used for swimming, remember this, IT'S IN WATER! The water flowing through the tail will carry away the chemicals as you swim and dilute them to levels that have no consequence. ALEX/spandex will remove them faster than on neoprene, as the spandex allows water to get at both sides of the ALEX, however, this may also cause faster degradation of the material. For dry tails, once the ALEX has cured, soak till things start turning white (~6 hrs), then dry, and coat with silicone spray.

The only other problem is the acrylic latex. If you are allergic, then it's a bigger problem than any of the above chemicals. It can sensitize the same as liquid latex.

Overall, the main problem is the small amount of formeldahyde that liquid or cream latex doesn't have. Really, you'll absorb more formeldahyde dissecting a frog in biology class than you'll get making a tail.