View Full Version : Disney can be scary!

Mermaid Dottie
05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I came across these two videos while looking for mermaid stuff.

I agree with most of this guys comments,
But I most especially agree with his Top 3 Scariest Disney Moments.
Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX029r8Eao0&list=UUFzLRxwA-gWjCw7jdSS9d8A&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2n-VwHxBo&feature=relmfu

Mermaasai
05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
I was a weird kid.

I always loved the bad guys, never the good guys.
I remember being a HUGE fan of Maleficent as a little girl, and frankly still am but for very different reasons now, and always pretending to be Scar if I was playing with other kids.

I just love the baddies ^.^

Blondie
05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh God. Number #5 That Pinocchio scene with the donkeys would scare me so bad as a kid... Still gives me the chills today. Just the pleading in his voice to see his mom X_X

Nemefish
05-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I was a weird kid.

I always loved the bad guys, never the good guys.
I remember being a HUGE fan of Maleficent as a little girl, and frankly still am but for very different reasons now, and always pretending to be Scar if I was playing with other kids.

I just love the baddies ^.^

i always loved the weird and creepy scenes, as a child i always thought that they were actuality instead of the fairy tale fantasy :P
*WEIRD KIDS UNITE!* :highfive::thumbs-up:

mermaidcatherine
05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Hah, Hellfire was my favorite scene in Huchback when I was little! I just thought it was sweet Quasimodo was saving Esmerelda from death! I was just an innocent kid.

babsannee
05-12-2012, 02:02 PM
OHHHH I had nightmares for a week after the pink elephant scene from disney. I refused to watch that part, I would leave the room and come back after it was over.

Kanti
05-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Lmao I guess as a kid I was scared of all the wrong things. I remember watching those scenes
and being too oblivious to get scared xD
I was too busy being frightened by talking teddy bears or something.

I always like the villains, too! They were always really cool looking.
I remember loving Jafar in his crazy snake form.

mermaidcatherine
05-12-2012, 05:19 PM
JAFAR WAS LITERALLY THE MONSTER UNDER MY BED WHEN I WAS LITTLE. I hated him! Other than him, I didn't mind most of the villans. Except Gaston, because he stepped on books, and in my opinion, that was an unforgivable offense.

MermaidRaegan
05-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I can't want Dumbo or Pinnochio. I just can't. Nightmares abound.

As for hellfire, it's one my top five list of disney songs. I freakin' love that movie. Even though Frolo is creepy and the things he's singing about are creepy, I find it to be an extremely sexy song. (Oh god, I just said something from Disney is sexy. I'm going to Hell.)

Gem Stone
05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
JAFAR WAS LITERALLY THE MONSTER UNDER MY BED WHEN I WAS LITTLE. I hated him! Other than him, I didn't mind most of the villans. Except Gaston, because he stepped on books, and in my opinion, that was an unforgivable offense.
I completely agree about the Gaston comment. He who steps on books as made me his enemy!

MermaidRaegan
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I third this. He who steps on books shall be no friend of mine.

Malifacent scares the bajeezus out of me still, but I love her design. One of my tail designs is based off of her. :p

Blondie
05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
I can't want Dumbo or Pinnochio. I just can't. Nightmares abound.

As for hellfire, it's one my top five list of disney songs. I freakin' love that movie. Even though Frolo is creepy and the things he's singing about are creepy, I find it to be an extremely sexy song. (Oh god, I just said something from Disney is sexy. I'm going to Hell.)

The Hunchback is seriously one of my favorite Disney movies. I always kinda liked Froto just because he was a VERY diverse character. Just like the guy explains in the video he has so many conflicts pulling him different ways. He's cryptic but that makes him such an interesting character. Everything about the Hunchback is so dark for Disney, with out the gargoyles, I don't think it would be suitable for children xD

Nemefish
05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Lmao I guess as a kid I was scared of all the wrong things. I remember watching those scenes
and being too oblivious to get scared xD
I was too busy being frightened by talking teddy bears or something.

I always like the villains, too! They were always really cool looking.
I remember loving Jafar in his crazy snake form.

here here i too agree! none shall step on books or else he shall HANG!! haha jk, but yea i love books :3

Mermaid Dottie
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Oh my gosh, I love you guys. Seriously, though, the scene that scared me the most as a child really was the beansidhe from Darby O'Gill and the Little People, which is actually one of my all-time favorites.

I, too, love Hellfire from Hunchback, pink elephants didn't scare me until I was old enough to understand that something was really wrong there, and Maleficent is my brother and I's FAVORITE baddie. In fact, I really wish we could've seen more of her in ABC's Once Upon A Time.

Mermaid Saphira
05-23-2012, 03:56 PM
That guy is hilarious!

Guy: That wolf can't be to scary....
(scary wolf scene)
Guy: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

None of these actually scared me as a child..is that normal :rolleyes:

MermaidRaegan
05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is NOT a kids movie, no matter what Disney says. The amount of sexual referances in that movie is insane, even considering the number of dirty jokes hidden in those old cartoons. Plus, all of the characters are so dark and multifaceted, I don't know a single kid who gets what the movie is about or what's going on besides 'the ugly guy likes the pretty girl, but she doesn't like him back'.

Mermaid Sirena
05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame once when I was a kid in theaters, after that my parents never let me watch it & I have very relaxed parents.

None of those every really frightened me, though I'll tell you in Fantasia 2000 Firebird when it awoke I jumped back and felt my heart stop.

http://youtu.be/2XGRmaiCpPU

Prince Calypso
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Honestly i miss the days when Disney wasn't all goodie concerned about censorship
the days before american parents got all prudish and anal about every little thing

yes the pink elephants freaked me the hell out and still do. to this day i will scream if i see a balloon elephant or a pink stuff elephant

I sang Hell Fire for a talent show in like jr. high and i love the song because i can sing it pretty well
the biblical and kinda scare imagery in the song has always been one of my Favorite parts of the move... well besides the Esmeralda

i honestly wish Disney went back to the days when they wanted their villains to be actual villains and not comedy relief with a bad side

Kanti
05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame once when I was a kid in theaters, after that my parents never let me watch it & I have very relaxed parents.

None of those every really frightened me, though I'll tell you in Fantasia 2000 Firebird when it awoke I jumped back and felt my heart stop.

http://youtu.be/2XGRmaiCpPU

Wow, is it just me or did the aftermath of the phoenix part strongly insinuate that the dryad/nymph girl had been raped?
I dunno, sorry if it's a bit off-term but it really stood out to me.
I felt like she wouldn't have been THAT sad that the forest was destroyed if all she had to do was do all the stuff she did
last time for them to all come back. Seemed like something a lot worse happened to her.

Mermaid Sirena
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Everything she had was destroyed, all her work all her passion all her friends all her life's work was wiped from the plane of existence in a single moment. She had nothing, and no way of knowing that the ash from her burned life would supply the richest and strongest of foundations for her new one. She needed a friend to help her up, to show her that not all was lost and if she just tried again she would find the soil richer then ever before. Where she could grow anew, stronger for surviving the hardship and horror that lay around her.

At least that has always been my take on it. The beauty of such pieces of work is that it is up to the view to see decide what it means.

Kanti
05-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I suppose.
It just seems off to me since the video started out with it being snowy so she had just literally brought all the flowers
and trees to bloom at the beginning of the video.
I dunno I suppose it reminded me of how someone would act prior to an event like that. Like it was hard to do anything
and there was a feeling of hopelessness.

Either way I think that was one of my favorite skits from that movie. I remember seeing it with a friend in theaters, it was
awesome~

Mermaid Dottie
05-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I've always loved both fantasias. So pretty. <3

MermaidRaegan
05-25-2012, 09:32 PM
The firebird has always been my favorite 'skit', and the nymph is one of my favorite disney characters. I love her character design, and her spirit and playfulness.