PDA

View Full Version : Seashell Goggles?

---
05-12-2012, 09:22 AM
-

Spindrift
05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
If you're just decorating goggles it doesn't sound like it would be very costly. I mean it would just be the price of the goggles and whatever you are sticking on to it.

Spindrift
05-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I only know the answer to one of those questions for sure, haha. You can buy fake plants at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, eBay, or Amazon. Pet stores may also have fake aquarium plants that might suit your purposes.
I think kids would accept it. You can always argue that they help you in pools because you're used to ocean water and not "human-made" water. I don't know if all pools will let you wear it but I don't see why not if you prove that it's just goggles.

Kanti
05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
You can buy small shells in bags at arts and crafts stores sometimes!
I'd think they'd have to be really small if you wanted to fit them on a pair of goggles?

Spindrift
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Also just really tiny iridescent beads maybe?

Ayla of Duluth
05-12-2012, 05:35 PM
a hot glue gun might work, it's not taking as much beating as a tail, but superglue should work just fine too.
I have a shoe repair glue that i used on the toes of a pair of used climbing shoes that i bought, it works like a dream as regular glue too, even though thats not what its supposed to be used for.

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
A Mermaid version of glasses OMG thats awesome.

E-6000 i heard was a good waterproof glue

Merman Dan
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I was just wondering, the other day, what merfolk might use, to make eyeglasses... How about the Windowpane Oyster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placuna_placenta) ?

Cordelia
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
This is such a good idea. I was going to buy a pair of goggles anyway. I can't see underwater at all! I wear contacts, and if I don't have them in, I'm pretty blind even out of the water. Opening my eyes under water and risking losing a pair is also a no go. I also have some seaweed-y looking yarn. Something like that could cover up the straps of the googles and make it look as if they're tied on, too. :D

Mermaid Arianna
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
people dont usually look at me funny when i have my goggles and tail on in a pool, i mean they know it hurts to get all those gross chemicals in their eyes. decorating goggles is a awesome idea, plus if it was all covered in shells and stuff it would look awesome, what about a mask like for a masquerade with goggles built in?

Thalassa
08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I crushed up some shells and glued them all around the outside of my goggles. I'll post pics when I find my camera, but something to think about:

If you leave any sharpish edges pointing out, they will cut your face if you run into anything. I accidentally ran into the wall of my pool and ended up with two long scratches by my nose. XP They're just barely healing now.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Oh, I was wondering about this! I have glasses myself, so I've wondered what mermaid glasses would be like...

Drowning
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
How about traditional wooden goggles?

http://www.woodengoggles.com/

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Ooh, those look cool! I wonder if there's some way to make goggles that will work without having to be wrapped around your head (and thus messing up your hair -_-).

Mermaid Annariea
08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Ooh, those look cool! I wonder if there's some way to make goggles that will work without having to be wrapped around your head (and thus messing up your hair -_-).

i always hated that, how goggles made my hair poof up like an awkward muchroom and not flow around pretty :(
i have a sort of solution for it. i take some hair from the top of my head and part it away from the rest of my hair, flip it forward so it doesnt go back, and then put the goggles on and put my hair over the strap. then you cant see the goggle strap and it allows your hair to flow still (:

also, ive thought about decorating goggles... some pools are just too chlorinated. but some kids might find that odd. :/

Jadestone
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Glad to see other people thinking about goggles... I am very nearsighted and actually own a pair of prescription goggles. Have been trying to figure out how to make a pair mermaid-y so I can still see while I'm swimming. I thought about decorating a pair with polymer clay--could do like a seashell that's open in the middle for the actual lens to go under, then paint it and glue it on. Might sketch out the idea later, it's kind of hard to describe in just words.

Mermaid Harmony
08-28-2012, 01:42 AM
This is actually my project for tomorrow, I have the shells and all I'm going to use, I'll use E-6000. I'll post a picture tomorrow. We'll see!

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Can't wait to see!

Mermaid Harmony
08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
My styling goggles 5869 . They are shaded, so it's actually kind of funny looking, but I like them.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Ah, that's awesome!

Ashe
09-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Aw! so cute! love it <3

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Getting off the computer and making things is always a good idea! ;) Then you can get back on the computer and show them to us! XD

Mistnoth
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
This is a lovely idea. I hate getting chlorine in my eyes and don't like not wearing my contacts. And if you got some clear goggles and decorated them, but small kids were questioning you could probably say something along the lines of, "Some mermaids need glasses just like humans... and these are mine." I don't know though, I've never been in a mermaid costume around kids.

Mermaid Avalon
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
mermaid harmony, that is incredible! Beautiful work. I have been thinking about this and wondering about a solution. I think all of you may have helped me find one! I probably wont be using them for underwater photography/videos.....I think I'll just have to bear it and have a good amount of eye drops on hand. But for swimming and parties- YES!