PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for fringe

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Well im working on a Top with I want to include fringe of some sort, But i want some pieces of the fringe to be able to be flexible as well .. Any Ideas??

green52
05-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Can you be more specific? Is the problem that most fringes you can buy don't stretch along their lengths?

Ayla of Duluth
05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
What about beaded ribbon? I'm on my cell right now so I can't post pictures, but it's basically like those lamps you see with the beads hanging down from them. Something like that maybe?

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
well their suppose to be something like an Oarfish, varied lengths can be a little thick, something like.. the dorsals MVD makes, but I plan to incoorperate it with a top, something like spines.

Kanti
05-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I was considering doing an oarfish at one point but I don't know if it'll be in the same context.
Either way, I really loved the way ostrich fringe looks.
It comes on a little trim already and it can be sewn or glued into place. I loved the idea
of using it because underwater it waves softly like an oarfish's dorsal and when dry it can
still move nicely without being too stiff. It's also pretty durable in the sense that if you
sit on it, it won't break off, but you will have to be careful because the feathers will come
out of the fringe if you pull on them too much.

I think they sell these at craft stores in very short lengths but you can also buy them online (eBay is
my favorite because you can tell them how long you want the strand usually) for cheap.
You can also buy them in feather boa form, which has more feathers on it but is harder to glue on.

Just an idea! I love the way feathers move in the water :')
They basically look like hair.
Hope that helps!

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
ohh thats an interesting idea kanti, thanks so much, :)

Kanti
05-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Another thing you could do is use that bellydance tassel trim/fringe sort of material.
They usually use it in chinese wall decorations, graduation tassels, bellydance belts, etc.
I dunno what it's called but it's basically like a feather trim but more durable.

Here are some photos of what I mean xD

Sorry if the photos are really big

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM
im looking for something that'll last quite a bit both in and out of water, durable might be the way to go :)

Ayla of Duluth
05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Dat ostrich feather <3

Spindrift
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Are there any plastic-ky options for tail dorsals? Besides like, ribbon, that anyone can come up with?

Also, for tops:
(this is just Spandex)

New York Mermaid
05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
WOW Spin, thats kinda like something im working and and yes plasticy options are always welcome in my book. I was thinking of the vinyl but eh... i might use that for "spines"

Ayla of Duluth
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Plasticky material for tail dorsals would be something like vinyl shelf lining. You can get it at pretty much any hardware store. It holds up well and it still looks feathery. Slightly. Hannah uses it for her tail fringe and it looks really nice.

Mermaid Annariea
05-21-2012, 08:45 PM
ive been wondering this myself, im planning on making a tail. does the vinyl shelf lining come in colors too?
also, WHERE DID THAT FRINGE TOP COME FROM?? i want one now. oh man thats pretty. lol.
and i dont think id go with the feathers... it seems too fragile. i bet its gorgeous though. maybe for side fringe, or on the bottom of the fluke. but not for down the back...

Mermaid Arianna
05-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Maybe like what hannah fraser has on the end of one of her tails, I think it is just a bit of dragonskin she molded on clay and sewed on but I'm not quite sure...

Mermaid Annariea
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
no, hannah fraser uses the plastic computer chair stuff. you know, you put it on your hardwood floor so the wheels of the chair dont scratch it up. im fairly certain thats what she uses.

Ayla of Duluth
05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a plastic computer chair mat, and it's really thick and hardly flexible...I can't see her using that for fringe. But maybe there's other kinds of floor mats out there. I think there's actually a thread somewhere around here where there's a bunch of close up pictures of her tails.

Mermaid Annariea
05-26-2012, 10:16 PM
theres thinner ones. plus she cuts it into really thin strips, and if you watch, her fringe isnt floppy, it flows with the tail, so it isnt soft. but curtain fringing type stuff would look just as pretty. (:

Spindrift
06-15-2012, 05:22 AM
also, WHERE DID THAT FRINGE TOP COME FROM?? i want one now. oh man thats pretty. lol.

Found it again, here: http://www.theorchidboutique.com/dolly-iris-english-garden.html I think the site I saw it originally on had it cheaper though.

MermaidMermeron(Cameron)
01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
these ideas are great i like the idea for the spines and also the tips of the tail and the waist but also just one of these ideas from this thread by themselfs is a fabulous idea(fringe is a awesome idea< 3 <3​)