PDA

View Full Version : Making my own monofin?

Blondie
05-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm thinking about making my own monofin out of plexiglass/plastic sheets/polycarbonate/ect. I'm not trying to make a competitor just something simple to swim in for an hour or so.

I was thinking about taking this...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-22-x-34-Black-Poster-Frame-2pc-Set/14962485#Product+Reviews
These are picture frames with plexiglass where "glass" would be on a picture frame. I was thinking about gluing/fusing/attaching these two sheets after I've cut them into the shape I want them to be in to make them "stronger" and more durable. Then after attack some foot pockets. (I haven't really thought about it that far)

Do you think this could work? Or would it just be a waste of money?

skysammi1
05-14-2012, 06:32 AM
I think glass wouldn't be flexible enough to be able to swim in but I think maybe using some thick rubber could work and would still be rigid but flexible. Please put up a pic of the finished art i would love to see it :) Good luck i hope i helped.

Mermaid Marissa
05-14-2012, 08:04 AM
I think glue might pose a problem later. You can go to places like home depot and get the same material on a larger scale and it's still cheap :) then you just cut it down to the size you want :) I'd love to see the finished product! I'm thinking of making one myself :D

Kanti
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I would try to use polycarbonate sheeting online or via home depot/lowes.
Something that's strong yet flexible. I think plexiglass is acrylic? Not sure, but steer clear of
acrylic, it's very prone to shatter.
Gluing 2 together seems like a bad idea to me. It probably won't stay in the end.
If anything, you should try getting a thickness you feel is strong enough. With plexiglass I find
.08" thickness is great. It's sturdy and helps you swim well.
What I would do for attachment is use bolts.

Blondie
05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
I have some news!

I was just roam around the storage part of my art room at school and I saw my teacher had a pile of plastic sheets/plexiglass. I'm not too sure what they were. A lot of them were beaten up so I was assuming he was throwing them out soon. But I found a nice .2 mm thick sheet that only had a really small crack on the side. But I would be cutting that part off anyways. I asked my teacher if he wanted it and he told me I could use it!

So I got my sheet for free xD I don't know how well it'll hold up. It seems VERY durable and strong. It takes a little arm to make it bend. But I like it like that! I would prefer a stiffer monofin.

So next week or so I'll have to get to cutting it. Anyone have any tips on cutting plastic?

Mermaid Marissa
05-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I know that many use a dremel you can find them at Sears and what not but many schools have them for different projects. I would talk to your art teacher again and see if he knows anything or where you can find a cheap one (many schools get discounts)

Mermaid Photine
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I used a bandsaw (two people works best: one to hold the plastic, one ot use the bandsaw) and it worked really well. I followed up with some serious filing and sanding to get the shape just right.

Mermaid Narina
07-20-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking about making my own monofin out of plexiglass/plastic sheets/polycarbonate/ect. I'm not trying to make a competitor just something simple to swim in for an hour or so.

I was thinking about taking this...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-22-x-34-Black-Poster-Frame-2pc-Set/14962485#Product+Reviews
These are picture frames with plexiglass where "glass" would be on a picture frame. I was thinking about gluing/fusing/attaching these two sheets after I've cut them into the shape I want them to be in to make them "stronger" and more durable. Then after attack some foot pockets. (I haven't really thought about it that far)

Do you think this could work? Or would it just be a waste of money?

about the foot pockets part, i read somewhere that someone got water shoes (im pretty sure you can get them at Swim Outlet etc) and drilling 7 holes in it. two holes in the heel, one at the toe, and two on either side. You then copy the holes in the exact position onto your plexiglass or polycarbonate and drill the 14 holes (7 for each shoe, remember). and then you get very strong cord and weave stitches through it.

im not sure how strong this would be, as i haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty easy. oh, and the drill presses (they have in schools) are very useful for this!
have fun, post pics if it works out!

MerAnthony
07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
To start You do not want plexi glass. When you swim it will snap an I don't think you would want that. Find a good piece of polycarbonate. It can take the stress and it is flexable enough to swim with.