PDA

View Full Version : Delectable (jk) Trout tail idea

LittleTreasure
05-16-2012, 02:12 AM
So I've been thinking about this for a while... I want to venture out into the world of ....NEOPRENE! I know I said in another thread that I would probably be using fabric for my next tail, and that may turn out to be so. However, I love the idea of having a truly fishy-looking tail, unlike my last one which looks much like something you'd see on a Barbie doll, as much as I do love it :p And maybe I'll be able to earn the money to cover the costs completely on my own this summer. My mersona wouldn't change, just be more 'adapted' to where I live. This tail design is based upon the very pretty Brook Trout which can be found in Arkansas (I'm pretty sure):
I had to manipulate this photo to get it the right size to put it up here...so please forgive any blurriness. Also I added a little watermark - not that I think you all would ever steal designs from one another or me, but somebody who came randomly across this page might...

The color scheme pretty much exactly follows that of the fish. I decided to put the fins where they naturally are instead of on the sides (my original plan for the extras), but I can't turn my feet sideways so...the fluke's going to have to stay anatomically wrong :p

What do you all think? I'd like to do this as a painted neoprene tail, with a faint scale pattern made of slip-casting latex that is wide (like the netting found here except turned on its side: http://missfit1023.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d3gomhc ) After seeing Mermassai's beautiful tail, the Diablo tail on the tails thread, and so many others, I would really like to try and challenge myself with new materials - and maybe do some more experiments with fabric soon. I might not be able to update this thread for some time though, as I still haven't bought the materials...but I sure can dream about this.

I haven't quite decided whether to cut it to my waist or hips...which is better for avoiding billowing at the top? Another question I have is, has anybody made a tail whose body is made from a single piece of fabric/neoprene instead of two, one for the front and back? Would that work? I'd have a zipper running down the back to get into it and sew the 2-piece fluke onto the bottom of that.

MermaidRaegan
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
The design is fantastic!! I love trout, they have such fun designs. From what I can tell painting neoprene isn't too difficult depending on how you do it, and the effects are gorgeous.

SweeteSiren
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Very pretty design! You're a talented artist.
Start by cutting to your waist - it's much easier to trim it if it's too long than to add on if it's too short. That also gives you room to add a pocket for a belt, etc.

MermaidRaegan
05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Also, I know a lot of people take back and front measurements and then make their tails higher in the back and lower in the front. :D And Mermaasia put elastic in the band of her tail, and she said it really helped with flapping in the back.

Kanti
05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Trout are gorgeous~
I especially love the little maze-like design on the dorsal side.
Their fins are so nice too~

I love brown trouts o__o

Mermaid Saphira
05-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I would really enjoy seeing such a tail! I wish you the best of luck ;)

babsannee
05-16-2012, 08:01 PM
:drool: do want.

Blondie
05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Awesome drawing! I love really fishy looking tails :) Can't wait to see more!

LittleTreasure
05-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Also, I know a lot of people take back and front measurements and then make their tails higher in the back and lower in the front. :D And Mermaasia put elastic in the band of her tail, and she said it really helped with flapping in the back.

You know, I was thinking about doing that. My last tail ended up showing a little underwear when I swam (Does anybody know where to find plain skin colored swimsuits? Lol) and a past thread about measurements made me think that I needed to cut it higher in the back. How could I go about sewing an elastic band in without making it gather? Or would I have to do that? I just don't want it looking bunchy and I don't know very much about inserting elastic. My sewing skills are pretty limited at this point.

SweeteSiren
Very pretty design! You're a talented artist.
Start by cutting to your waist - it's much easier to trim it if it's too long than to add on if it's too short. That also gives you room to add a pocket for a belt, etc.

Thanks! I think I will cut it to my waist. I think it'll be easier to manage. Plus, no pudgy belly to worry about! ;)

Would the latex scales only adhere to the clean neoprene or would it stick okay to painted neoprene? Would it peel off if I did it on top of the paint? Whatever the case I need a protective coating on top of the paint no matter what. I don't want it to chip if I can help it. I just need to figure out the order I put the stuff on.

Before I get started with the neoprene I want to test out a pattern idea on plain fabric - one piece for the body, and 2 for the fluke. It could make for much less sewing...and as a plus, no side seams to worry about. I think it could work with a flexible fabric but...Does anybody know if this could work with neoprene? Would it wrinkle in weird places if I did this? Should I just stick with a body of 2 pieces? Here's what I mean:

merboy78xy
05-17-2012, 02:33 AM
As a Costumer in theatre, I can tell you that you are going to run into trouble with your "single pattern" design around the knees. The body dips in before arching back out at the calf (which you have drawn beautifully in your sketches), but when it comes time to sew the single seam in the back, you will loose that shape at the knee unless you sew a dart in on both sides. A dart could be fine, but I'm not sure how it will pucker when done in Neoprene. Just my two cents for what it's worth. :) Otherwise, good luck!

LittleTreasure
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Okay. Thanks, merboy78xy. I thought I'd throw that out there because I I have no idea how to disguise seams, haha. I just have a hard time picturing where it would fold. I think I'll just stick with what I know...in that case, I've got to hide the seams somehow.

ShyMer
05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Out of curiosity I googled Hannah mermaid to see how she hides her seams. I had trouble finding anything close up enough :( but from looking at her blue tail with the white fringes, she used sequins on the sides. It probably isn't something you were considering for your tail, judging by the design, so does anyone have any other ideas for hiding seams on neoprene? How about some input from people who went to the WMAs? Did anyone get a chance to look up close at the seams on Hannah's tails?

That is a lovely sketch, by the way. I love that fish's fins <3

LindseyLu
05-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Out of curiosity I googled Hannah mermaid to see how she hides her seams. I had trouble finding anything close up enough :( but from looking at her blue tail with the white fringes, she used sequins on the sides. It probably isn't something you were considering for your tail, judging by the design, so does anyone have any other ideas for hiding seams on neoprene? How about some input from people who went to the WMAs? Did anyone get a chance to look up close at the seams on Hannah's tails?

That is a lovely sketch, by the way. I love that fish's fins <3

Winged Mermaid was kind enough to share her WMA pics of Hannah's tail on the forum for those of us that weren't able to make it! But I don't think they will help in this situation as she brought her sequin tails, not her painted tail... But either way, there are tons of fabulous pictures and they show how much work and dedication Hannah has put into her tailmaking! <3 Here's the link if you want to check them out!
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?443-Hannah-Fraser-s-Tails&highlight=hannah+mermaid

LittleTreasure
05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the links! And the compliments :$ I just had a little idea - what if I made extra scales and attached them over the side seams with more latex? I'd have to make them line up though...

AniaR
05-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Dr Seaweed is working on this style design too :)

ShyMer
05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Man I kinda had a moment where I tried to imagine how long it took to sew each and every scale onto Hannah's tails... I'm far too lazy and impatient :I Too bad she didn't bring any painted tails with her to the WMAs.

I guess I jumped over the part where you were talking about using some latex on the tail. I've been thinking about how to hide seams that way too. I'm not sure how you're going to get the texture like on the alex tails with slip casting latex unless you use a bunch of latex thickener. Also isn't most slip casting latex opaque? Besides that though, I was thinking when I make mine, I'd make up my tail like most people do, wait for it to cure, sew it together, stuff it tightly so the seams are as stretched as they'd be when worn, then add more alex to the seams like when I made the scales. I doubt it'll be completely seamless, and it'll probably take some fiddling to get it to match up, but I'd want it to be consistent (same shape as the rest of the "scales".) I think it would at least blend better and be less obvious. I hadn't considered making separate scales and attaching, though it's an interesting idea. What would be the best way to go about making those? Is there a particular surface that the latex/alex wouldn't adhere to but still cure well that you could lay it on?

I think if I were you, considering your design, I would want to make the seams as smooth as possible. I think there's a lot of cool patterns on the fish that you're using for inspiration, and I think if you had a bunch going on by the seams, that might distract too much from the paint job. Or maybe it wouldn't. Maybe if the added scales were small enough?

Another thought- what scale shape and size were you considering? I can't tell if the inspiration fish has just very tiny scales or if he's one of those fleshy fish. Anyway I hope that whatever texture you pick would work with the kind of paint job you were going for. I would be wary of trying to fit a bunch of tiny details onto a large-ish scale. It might look weird that they don't match up.

So those are my thoughts for now... sorry I'm going all over the place. I hope this helps at all.

LittleTreasure
05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Man I kinda had a moment where I tried to imagine how long it took to sew each and every scale onto Hannah's tails... I'm far too lazy and impatient :I Too bad she didn't bring any painted tails with her to the WMAs.

I guess I jumped over the part where you were talking about using some latex on the tail. I've been thinking about how to hide seams that way too. I'm not sure how you're going to get the texture like on the alex tails with slip casting latex unless you use a bunch of latex thickener. Also isn't most slip casting latex opaque? Besides that though, I was thinking when I make mine, I'd make up my tail like most people do, wait for it to cure, sew it together, stuff it tightly so the seams are as stretched as they'd be when worn, then add more alex to the seams like when I made the scales. I doubt it'll be completely seamless, and it'll probably take some fiddling to get it to match up, but I'd want it to be consistent (same shape as the rest of the "scales".) I think it would at least blend better and be less obvious. I hadn't considered making separate scales and attaching, though it's an interesting idea. What would be the best way to go about making those? Is there a particular surface that the latex/alex wouldn't adhere to but still cure well that you could lay it on?

I think if I were you, considering your design, I would want to make the seams as smooth as possible. I think there's a lot of cool patterns on the fish that you're using for inspiration, and I think if you had a bunch going on by the seams, that might distract too much from the paint job. Or maybe it wouldn't. Maybe if the added scales were small enough?

Another thought- what scale shape and size were you considering? I can't tell if the inspiration fish has just very tiny scales or if he's one of those fleshy fish. Anyway I hope that whatever texture you pick would work with the kind of paint job you were going for. I would be wary of trying to fit a bunch of tiny details onto a large-ish scale. It might look weird that they don't match up.

So those are my thoughts for now... sorry I'm going all over the place. I hope this helps at all.

You just brought up some important questions, Shymer....I thought I saw something about slipcasting latex on the Materials page and just assumed it was clear...clearly I have a lot more research to do. I wanted to avoid using ALEX...is there a similar product that is safer?

I thought to make my extra scales I could probably just adhere the latex to a thin strip of neoprene and kinda 'glue' it on with more latex. Bulky but what can you do?

My scale shape would be (ideally) a sideways diamond shape, just made with regular wire mesh. I wanted the impression on the neoprene to be kind of light so as not to be distracting. I'm not sure either whether the trout is more fleshy or not.