PDA

View Full Version : Getting in and out of tails?

WavyMermaidy
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
So, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere yet on the forums, and since I don't have a tail yet (preparing to make one asap) nor have I been to any mermaid gatherings yet, etc., I am really curious:

How do y'all prepare for swimming in public (or at gatherings, conventions, etc) as far as when to put on your tail (before you get in, once you're in?), how to get to the water (if you put the tail on prior to getting in), etc. I suppose this might vary depending on preference, type of tail, etc. I am planning to make a fabric (i.e. spandex) tail with a monofin. I am going to have the bottom of the tail open-able to get the monofin out and also presumably to be able to hike the tail up enough to at least bunny hop around. But I am curious to know any other ways??

I kinda think bunny hopping to the shore would lose something in the overall effect (if there are others around, anyway) but I can imagine putting a wet spandex tail on in the water might not be so easy either. I guess I am also curious what people do about public appearances too b/c I am hoping to do some kids education programs in my tail (presumably in a dry setting, no water) in my small town but I'm wondering if it's best to just be there when they arrive and wait till they leave to move, or do some people use a wheelchair or something else? I know the tail won't be too realistic looking but I want to have at least somewhat of a good effect for the little ones...don't want to ruin the magic :)

Ok, lots of related questions there, but you get the drift (so to speak). Any thoughts?

ShyMer
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Putting on a wet spandex tail can be tricky... it takes me a little while to put mine on :p I wouldn't want to put it on poolside though, personally. I'd rather people not notice at first.

I cringe a little when I see someone hopping in their tail. I imagine it adds a ton of wear to that area :( I think if you remove the monofin before hopping that would be okay. I don't know how much it would be to get a wheelchair or rig up something to move around in, but you might just have to get there early until you come up with something better. You could also have whoever is hosting you direct people to you when you're ready to start or move them along at the end so you're not having to wait too long.

Spindrift
05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable merring without someone I know present - too many things can go wrong. So I usually get carried in. If it's just my friends though, I can put my tail on pool-side.

WavyMermaidy
05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Putting on a wet spandex tail can be tricky... it takes me a little while to put mine on :p I wouldn't want to put it on poolside though, personally. I'd rather people not notice at first.

I cringe a little when I see someone hopping in their tail. I imagine it adds a ton of wear to that area :( I think if you remove the monofin before hopping that would be okay. I don't know how much it would be to get a wheelchair or rig up something to move around in, but you might just have to get there early until you come up with something better. You could also have whoever is hosting you direct people to you when you're ready to start or move them along at the end so you're not having to wait too long.

Yeah, I was leaning toward not having people notice before getting in the water...so perhaps just taking the time to pull it on in the water is the way to go. Is that what people generally do at mer-events (as I am going to mer-palooza later this summer)??

As far as hopping (if I needed to for whatever reason), I was figuring on taking out the monofin to do that...I wouldn't want to put any unneeded stress on the fabric or fin for sure. As far as the wheelchair goes, I mentioned it b/c I saw an older very basic one on the cheap at a thrift store yesterday, so it got me wondering if anyone else had done that.

And I think it having whoever is hosting move the kids along would be a good idea. I realize it's a little early to be worrying about it as I haven't brought up the idea to the appropriate authorities yet, but I'm hoping it will fly :) Anyhow, thanks for the reply!

WavyMermaidy
05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Spindrift - my hubby is always with me but unfortunately has back problems that prohibit any thoughts of carrying me :( I figured that is perhaps what a lot of people do, though.

Alveric
05-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I've been wondering about this too, since I'm a bit too bad in the back for carrying my mermate about when she gets her tail. I'd say get a wheelchair if you can find a cheap one. I've also seen people use a wheeled office chair too. Neither would be good on a sandy beach, however. I thought about dragging her on a large beach towel when on sand. Of course, if there's no need to preserve the illusion, put it on at the edge of the water.

I just remembered; I've seen some kiddie wagons big enough to haul a Mer.

SweeteSiren
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Use a skateboard.

WavyMermaidy
05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Alveric - Yeah, I thought about using my old Radio Flyer red wagon that I still have. And I love the dragging on the towel idea...sounds kinda funny but I guess it could work ;) LOL

WavyMermaidy
05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Use a skateboard.
Totally adorable picture :D

New York Mermaid
05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Ive see some mers roll into the pool, i dont think thats the best idea, Im here thinking if you guys remember the gym scooters which you would sit on and roll around on : http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Scooter-Blue-Hand-Guards/dp/B003EW8H4M
< might be a good idea

Mermaasai
05-19-2012, 02:57 AM
I dont mind people seeing me put my tail on (fabric or latex) so I do it pool side.

I lay a towel down on the edge of the pool and if I'm putting on my fabric tail, sit roll the tail all the way down to the monofin, slide in my feet, and then roll it up over my legs and just lift my butt to get it up to my waist. The soft towel keeps it from wearing out on the cement and then I just slip into the water fluke first.

If its my latex tail I usually do the same general thing with a few exceptions.
I get my feet into the monofin, and slide the tail up to at least my thighs, then go ahead and slip into the water and pull the tail the rest of the way up.
The neoprene slides up MUCH easier when there is water around my legs.

And finally to get OUT of the tails-
Fabric- either pop out of the pool and rest on the towel to remove Or I take it off in the water to minimize any wear from cement contact.
Latex- ALWAYS in the pool so far. I found that it slides off much much much easier in the water and reduces the amount of wear and tear on the tail itself. I always lift it fluke side UP out the water to reduce any water catching in the tail and stretching it too much.
When I get a silicone tail (or urethane if murberry markets them) I'll have to see what is easiest :D

BlueMermaid
05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
If I am using a fabric tail, I put it on pool side. They are usually very quick to get on. Since yours will be open at the bottom, just pull it up to your knees and you should be able to walk pretty good.

If I'm doing a job, I always change in a private area and am transported to the event area. I'm either carried, pushed on a wheeled office chair, and recently pulled on a wagon.

WavyMermaidy
05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Ive see some mers roll into the pool, i dont think thats the best idea, Im here thinking if you guys remember the gym scooters which you would sit on and roll around on : http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Scooter-Blue-Hand-Guards/dp/B003EW8H4M
< might be a good idea Geez, i haven't seen those scooters in ages...LOL

I am definitely appreciating all the input on this forum...certainly helpful :)

Dacora
06-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I have always imagined getting a yoga mat and kind of inch worming myself into the pool then just rolling off into the water. XD

AniaR
06-07-2012, 06:41 AM
guys guys GUYS. Office chairs :D Mermaid Mimi cant get carried like me so she has a rolly chair (sneaky snake! lol- know the reference?) so someone can push her once she's in and kids get a funny kick out of it.

Theta
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
The times I've swum at cons (or just sat around at cons) I've always gotten dressed up in my room and then have gone down on an office chair. It's a pretty harrowing experience but not bad if you've got trustworthy handlers. My boyfriend will then carry me short distances.

(Office chairs + elevator door gaps = terror)

Alveric
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
If you've got a durable enough tail, you can even push yourself along in the office chair.

BlueMermaid
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
guys guys GUYS. Office chairs :D Mermaid Mimi cant get carried like me so she has a rolly chair (sneaky snake! lol- know the reference?) so someone can push her once she's in and kids get a funny kick out of it. Mad TV :)

Kanti
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
You could buy a yoga mat and place it right near the pool so when you're wresting your tail to put
it on you don't have to worry about scraping it on the floor. Then when you're done, you can just
roll sideways into the pool.
I find spandex is easiest to put on dry, but neoprene may be easier if you soak it a little. People
also suggest putting lotion or conditioner on your legs to help them slide in easier. Just make
sure you wash it off your hards so they don't slip all over the tail when you're trying to pull it up

Mermaid Sirena
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
One place I went to had special PVC Wheelchair's, it was great they could wheel me straight into the water!
http://www.phc-online.com//v/vspfiles/photos/ANT-C1801-524S-2T.jpg

WavyMermaidy
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
^^I'm liking that PVC wheelchair :)

MermaidRaegan
06-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm considering taking my Pride tail to a con when it's done, and my boyfriend has already promised to carry me around short distances and to use a rolly chair for times when that's not reasonable, so I imagine the same idea could be used when I hit the river or the Rec's pool. As for putting tails on, I just roll my fabric tail on like panty house.

Winged Mermaid
06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I've only convinced someone to carry me once, and that was 6 ft to the pool :P Usually I go into the pool and walk around the back of the busy areas, put my stuff down, put a towel down and my tail, then hop right in and start pulling it up. I wear a sarong to the pool, so it hangs down and obscures the process of me pulling it up. (I have a neoprene and latex tail, so I put my feet in first sitting down, then stand up and pull it up the rest of the way.) That way when I'm done I take of my sarong and BAM! Mermaid :) Then I sit back down, put my fluke in, then dive in! Either I get attention from when I first get in the pool area, or kids don't notice me until my tail is already on. Taking it off only takes a few seconds in the water. Putting the tail back on when it's wet.. that's a whole other story. A story of putting it on in the water and fighting out evil air bubbles.

Fabric tails are really quick to get on and off! If you're quick about it you may be able to get it on before anyone notices. Especially if you have a large beach towel- put it down on the concrete, put your fluke down, fold the excess over the fluke to hide it, then pull it up really quick! At a beach I've also had friends or family members hold up towels so kids don't see me taking it off, then we wrap the tail in the towel to hide it. Then put any leg questions to rest in the method you choose- magical crystal (I usually wear rainbow fluorite crystal pendant so that works well) that allows me to change, the "half human" sorry, or telling them it's a secret that you can change an not to tell!

Event wise, the other mers have a lot of great ideas! If you're just doing it to the side and aren't the center of attention yet, could also buy a few tri fold poster boards and put them around so you have a little area that you can slide into really quick then take them up.

Winged Mermaid
06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow, office chairs! Never would have thought! Quite a hilarious thought, actually, haha! I just had a image in my head of using an armed office chair, pushing yourself along with a cane like an oar :P

(Office chairs + elevator door gaps = terror)

Ahahahahaha!! Oh wow, I can just see in my head your face freeze frame as you "catch air" XD

WavyMermaidy
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
^^ Very nice detailed description...I like the ideas about the leg change questions!

That way when I'm done I take of my sarong and BAM! Mermaid :) LOL made me giggle

Mermaid Star
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
My boyfriend usually carries me unless it is a very short distance (like a couple of feet) in which case I carefully inch worm my way. Inch worming will wear on the heals so be careful if you chose to do this.

Alveric
06-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Inch worm, that's a good descriptive term Star. I might use that. :-)

DoubleOSix
06-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Omg...this is just too funny! I know it's a real issue, but it never crossed my mind to use wheel chairs and office chairs! Hilarious !:lol:

I pray my husband will be kind enough to just haul me around when I do get a tail.

Bellasea
06-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Where I swim there is a small lake with a channel leading into Lake Michigan. I ahve yet to swim there in my tai, but when I do I will enter the lake using a kayak launch. No one swims over there b/c there is no beach and some seaweed. I have swam from the kayak launch to the beach, and it is like a two min swim. I will just slip on my tail and swim over. So it will be like TaDa! a mermaid swimming up from the lake!

Blondie
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
One place I went to had special PVC Wheelchair's, it was great they could wheel me straight into the water!

They have this at the water park I work at too! in my spandex tail I just sat on the stairs and pulled my tail up with no problem. Come the beginning of July I'll have to figure out my latex tail :)

Ilonka
06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm nervous to put on my tail, its neoprene and latex. I read its easier if u coat your legs in hair conditioner or water based lube. I made the tail really tight so I don't really know if I should have my bf help me get in it and help with the monofin too.

Merman Dan
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
As my 18-year old son has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, I had looked at PVC chairs before. We even rented one, on a beach trip once. Be careful, as the beach wheelchairs have large inflated wheels, they float!

Now that I am mer-minded, I began to look at the project from a new perspective and came across this: DIY Beach Wheelchair (http://uncommonneeds.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-beach-wheelchair.html) . With a reclining pool chair and some Wheeleez (http://www.wheeleez.com/) , one could go far!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tTU04hU5unQ/SnneZ2wNr5I/AAAAAAAAAXE/nRGM3k7PCQg/s400/beach+chair.JPG

Mermaid Fenicia
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I use a wheelchair whenever there is a lot of walking to do (as at fairs and markets). So when at a fair I sometime go as a mermaid (as I do need the chair anyway). Kids love it :D, most of the grown-ups to, but still some think I'm to fat to be a mermaid :(. Some pics of me in my old wheelchair. (http://users.telenet.be/the-mermaid/pics/fenicia/ariel01.htm)I made some kind of cover in blue fabric to cover-up the chair as it was very old and ugly. A pic of my in my new wheelchair. (http://users.telenet.be/the-mermaid/pics/fenicia/mermaid05k.JPG) As the legparts can move up it's much easier to move along without the fluke dragging over the floor. When I'm at a pool with some friends, I just put my tail on sitting n the side or on the stairs. When I have a gig with children, I go in the pool before the kids can and leave again after the have gone.

MermaidNerenia
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I have never met a handsome lifeguard who didn't mind carrying a pretty mer into the water. I have a good rep with the lifeguards at the pool I frequent and they are always willing and smiling to carry me to the edge so I can slide in the water. I change in a usually empty area behind the snack machines. I usually slide in flukes first and always have a large beachtown laying beside one of the edges so I can pop out and have a rest or take pictures if needed.

As far as putting on. My mertailor tail is VERY tight but good because I don't get any air pockets at all in any parts of the tail. I roll down the waistband to about my calves and then slip my feet in and roll it back up. Little wear and tear, but I got a beautiful belt made to cover that. I can usually hitch it up an extra inch or so once im in the water.

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I have a question. Some of the mers i have talked to use fabric tails and the same monofin for each one. I've watched tutorials from other people on youtube and other websites. They all use the same monofin for each tail (one girl has 4 fabric tails and just the one monofin) she doesnt have a zipper on any of them....

how does she get the monofin in and out of each one????

ShyMer
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
you can kinda bend the monofin like a taco from what I've heard, though I haven't tried it on mine and doubt I could really get it through the small space for my ankles

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
see that is what my mom is worried about...getting it through the ankle area. i did bend mine last night i just haven't tried sticking it through yet. I have a finis rapids monofin. thanks tho shymer

Mermaid Lei Loni
09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Bending the monofin works perfectly. I take my fins in and out of my fabric tails so I can wash them. :) You can also add a zipper to the bottom or side to help you take the fin in and out. The monofins can handle being folded in half, I have done it multiple times with my monofins (Finish Rapids) with no adverse results. I'm sure that if you do it too often though, it could cause a problem.

The last event I did I had transportation in the form of a wooden handcart (it was a Pirate Festival). It worked really well. I also had strong men team lift me (I'm a little heavy) to get me in and out of the water/cart. The kind of wagons you use for your garden are a good option, and they are much cheaper than a wheelchair. They usually can carry up to 1,000 lbs so they can hold you and then some. You have to cover them with fabric/padding they aren't comfortable. And then of course, you could always go by horse......See pictures below.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/527480_277988005646035_690205946_n.jpg(So scary!)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/577055_277988248979344_203488133_n.jpg

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks Lei Loni...that was helpful that someone has folded theirs. :D i am kinda mad now that I didn't sew the bottom shut but i guess its better that i found out i could fold the monofin first. i am going to try it tho to see if i can get it past my ankles

Mermaid Lei Loni
09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
You're welcome! :) Good luck with fitting it! I can tell you that getting it past your ankles is really hard. Especially if you have small ankles. My ankles aren't the smallest, so I don't really have any problems, but it's still a little difficult.

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 01:36 PM
ya i dont want to ruin it by forcing it but right now i just have velcro holdin the fluke shut and hopfully i will have a long enough zipper to place in the the fluke soon.

Winged Mermaid
09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
It describes how to do so at the bottom of the Monofin sticky (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2909-MONOFINS-THE-OFFICIAL-THREAD). If you look there are YouTube videos showing you as well.

ShyMer
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Whoa I know this is off topic but Leoni I love the pink stuff on your tail!

Mermaid Lei Loni
09-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Whoa I know this is off topic but Leoni I love the pink stuff on your tail!

Aww thanks! It's just some cheap organza and sequins (I will NEVER do sequins again! lol).

Mermaid Fenicia
09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
The bending only works with a flexible monofin as a wave, rapid, tempo or mermaid :)
I have a zipper at the end of the fluke for my tails ;)

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 02:33 PM
The bending only works with a flexible monofin as a wave, rapid, tempo or mermaid :)
I have a zipper at the end of the fluke for my tails ;)

i have a rapid yay!

Mer_Adella
09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
It describes how to do so at the bottom of the Monofin sticky (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2909-MONOFINS-THE-OFFICIAL-THREAD). If you look there are YouTube videos showing you as well.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU winged!!!!!

SewTiki
09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
My brother does mechanics work and the long bed dolly he rolls in and out from the under the cars works great!!! Also one time we used a plastic garden wheel barrel because we were at a hotel and got ready in our rooms before going down to the pool. Just some other options for ya. ;-)

telzey.amberdon
09-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Is that a Seahorse?

MermaidIvy
09-29-2012, 03:14 PM
(I have ONE question) xD
My mom's recently been warming up a little to Mermaiding, and she's asked me a couple questions about my situation. I was able to answer all of them but this:

How will I get into the water, Where will I put on my tail?
There are no bushes, rocks, or tall grass that i can hide behind at Wollaston Lake (where my cottage is), and nobody is willing to carry me into the water. I have to either put it on right infront of the kids on the sand, or walk out to the dock with my tail in my hand, put it on, then slip in. I really dont want kids to see me putting on my tail! Any ideas? :eek:

Mermaid Fenicia
09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Change under a very big towel ;)

MermaidIvy
09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I'll Try! But- How will i get to the water from there? :0

Mermaid Celissa
09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Roll off the side?

Mermaid Annariea
09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
scoot on your butt! lol.

Merman_Shawn
09-29-2012, 04:31 PM
A rule of mermaiding: Mer-folk on land= undignified always. lol
Set up your stuff near the water, put your tail on under the towel, and then either butt scoot or roll to the water. That's what we do at our meet-ups.

Mermaid Bella
09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Nonono!!! Don't roll!!! Bad idea...... I have photos of me trying to roll into the beach just to get rolled back out by a tiny wave... maybe a lake would be fine... Ocean is a no nooooo Hehehe.

Mermaid Lei Loni
09-29-2012, 06:25 PM
You can always tell kids that your tail is removable like a selkie. As long as they don't see the bright plastic monofin, it still looks real even out of the water. Or come up with a story. I tell kids that I used to be a "real" mermaid, but I fell in love and moved away from the ocean, but my father (who is a very wealthy merman) had a tail specially made for me so that I could "go home" whenever I wanted, and so that I could still be a mermaid, even with legs. Most kids WANT to believe you are the real thing, and are going to believe it whether they see your legs or not, especially if you have a good story to back it up.

Winged Mermaid
09-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Merging your thread over here (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1994-Getting-in-and-out-of-tails/page2). Try reading the previous posts!

http://mernetwork.com/index/image.php?u=2&type=sigpic&dateline=1310510451

Winged Mermaid
09-29-2012, 07:04 PM
In addition to my previous post, since most people don't own a sarong, just use a long skirt instead! I do that with my walking mermaid outfit all the time now. After the tail is on just pull the skirt up over your head to take it off. With the towel thing I mentioned they won't even know what's going on until you pull off the skirt and remove the towel, and suddenly there's a mermaid there!

telzey.amberdon
09-30-2012, 12:43 AM
No brothers with a wagon?

Delphine
01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Use a skateboard.

Love it! <3 (My inner Reptile & Amphibian fan coming out to say hi, haha.)

Merman Chatfish
11-24-2014, 10:22 PM

^^+1. We have those at my pool too.

Now that I am mer-minded, I began to look at the project from a new perspective and came across this: DIY Beach Wheelchair (http://uncommonneeds.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-beach-wheelchair.html) . With a reclining pool chair and some Wheeleez (http://www.wheeleez.com/) , one could go far!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tTU04hU5unQ/SnneZ2wNr5I/AAAAAAAAAXE/nRGM3k7PCQg/s400/beach+chair.JPG
^^+50. Ok step one, make merman tail, step two, make one of these!

Mermaid Jaffa
11-27-2014, 09:40 AM
At first, I was worried about people staring, now I don't give a stuff about it anymore. I'm doing what I enjoy and no amount of staring is going to make me stop!

I put my tail on at the edge of the pool. Even if it means wriggling my fat bum into it for the whole pool center to see.

Echidna
11-27-2014, 05:40 PM
^^lol, yep.

That's one of the many advantages of fabric tails, they can be put on swiftly and without help.
I'd rather not let the guards see what I pour into my open-cell diving suit before launching into the strenuous endeavor to get inside :lol:
and it's probably similar for silicone tails.

Btw, I've managed to smuggle bigger, more noticeable tails (thick and realistic) into pools by folding them as much as possible, holding them behind a bag, then quickly diving with it into the water, and then putting it on under water :D
Same procedure the other way around when getting out again.

Most guards are lazy and don't look closely, so apart from a few lane swimmers losing their jaws no one noticed lol!
(I wasn't sure if tails were allowed, probably not)

Mermaid Nessie
11-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Any kind of neoprene tail is very difficult to on in the water, I would suggest putting it on dry. If you have difficulty, putting some baby powder on your legs will help! Also as far as avoiding putting a tail on/off in front of children, I often tell kids that if we dry off super good, we can grow legs. I will often bring a big sheet and change under that. The wheelbarrow thing sounds pretty good!

Echidna
11-27-2014, 07:28 PM
ah yes, good you mention that.
Neoprene is hell to get on when wet. Not suited for my underwater method.

I forgot, as I only have one neoprene tail and used it just once for an event.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I've even used baby shampoo in the pool, as a rinse for my goggles so it doesn't fog up. The smell is pretty strong, its the Johnson and Johnson brand, even stood near the lifeguard and he didn't notice.

Other swimmers don't care either. Can you use soap to put on neoprene tails?

Merman Chatfish
11-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Bubble pool! Which really messes up the chemicals.

Echidna
11-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I only use soap lube for the opencell neoprene suits, as there is no other way to put them on without destroying them.

For neoprene tails with a fabric lining, you can use the old triathlon trick and put both your feet in a small plastic bag, slide through the tail, and then remove the bag through the fluke.
(works only with an open fluke though)

AptaMer
11-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Hair conditioner can make getting into either open cell suits or nylon-lined ones when the lining gets wet very easy. I have allergies, and have found that unscented, "gentle" brands of conditioner work best for me.

But the best stuff I've ever gotten for getting into suits is this stuff called Suit Slip ( http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/msuitslip.htm ) it's what I use all the time now.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-01-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't use a lot of baby shampoo per swim. Its not like I'm tipping out bottles of the stuff into it! I dab one tiny drop into each eye cup and rinse.

MermaidCora
12-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey quick question... how do you avoid getting sand in your tail when you put it on at the beach?!?

Mermaid Sirenia
12-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Hey quick question... how do you avoid getting sand in your tail when you put it on at the beach?!?
I lay mine on a large towel or even a blanket :)

Mermaid Kelda
12-28-2014, 11:31 AM
If you've got drainage holes it shouldn't matter anyway :) you're going to get sand in it regardless, because no tail is completely waterproof unless it's soldered to your skin. A towel is great for keeping the majority of it out while you're getting in, though!

MermaidCora
12-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks! That what I was thinking, now I just need to find a big enough towel!

Merman Jamie
12-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks! That what I was thinking, now I just need to find a big enough towel!

a big beach towel would do it

Mermaid Harmony
12-28-2014, 08:51 PM
I grabbed blue bed sheets from the thrift store and it works like a charm to wrap up my tail to make it easy to carry and to lay out to get changed on

Fun123joker
12-29-2014, 07:42 PM
actually i put on my neoprene tails in the water. i just hog the step latter for most people hang in the shallow end.

AniaR
12-29-2014, 07:47 PM
We put a tarp down :)

Mer-Crazy
12-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Another question: does any have any ideas as to something I could put down on rough pool surfaces (those ones covered in all the little rocks) when putting a tail on in shallow water? I'd need something that didn't float. Or is it something I shouldn't worry about?

Mermaid Sirenia
12-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Another question: does any have any ideas as to something I could put down on rough pool surfaces (those ones covered in all the little rocks) when putting a tail on in shallow water? I'd need something that didn't float. Or is it something I shouldn't worry about?
The rubber yoga mats they sell would be perfect for that! the water just rolls off it when you take it out

The Harlem Mermaid
12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi Mer's i was a bit shy when i first put on my spandex tail at NCMerfest last year, first time swimming too, i just watched how the other mermaids got into their tails and followed their lead :) this year :) I will be wearing my first silicon tail, and i seen how some of the mer's struggled to get into theirs, any advice how to put it on without spraining an ankle? :) how hard is it to roll the tail down to our ankles to put your feet into fin? :)

Mermaid Harmony
01-02-2015, 04:29 PM
I put my tail on on land on a sheet or towel, sometimes a yoga mat and just use water and conditioner