PDA

View Full Version : podgy mermaids

Mermaid Bella
05-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Well... first thread...

I have a question for the merfolk. From what I have seen of your photos you all seem fairly slender. I however am not, some days i feel more like ursula than ariel. I want my first tail soon but I won't be able to have a traditional mermaid top or swim in public until i slim down.

Does anyone else have this issue? What are some suggestions for keeping my midriff covered but still looking like a mermaid. I also want to know if any others in the Oceania pod are on the lumpy side as I would eventually want to have meet ups and not feel threatened.

Artisankatie
05-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi Bella! I'm Volitania from Mermaidens, we're from Melbourne - where are you from? We could totally meet up sometime! None of us are models either, each of us is convinced she's bigger than the others :P
I'm not very overweight, but I get pretty uncomfortable sometimes. And we're very nice, so we hope we wouldn't make you feel threatened!

In my experience, tails that come up to your chest aren't as flattering as you might think, but there are lots of things you can do to still look mermaidy and cover your midriff, some people use netting, Mermaid Raven has made a scaley corset, and sometimes I like to hang strings of pearls from my top so that they distract from my tummy a bit more :)

Mermaid Bella
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm from Melbourne too. :O
Netting might be a good idea. I think I will make a tank style bathers top cos the store bought ones are a little uggo.

WavyMermaidy
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I wanted to add to this discussion a bit b/c I am getting ready to make my first tail (monofin coming in a few hours, yay yay yay!) ok, ahem, enough excitement about THAT!

But seriously, I totally have the same issue you do with not being slim...I know that I have a healthy lifestyle and am quite healthy, which is really all that matters, and I'm pretty happy with myself (but it's taken years) but of course I would love to be able to smooth many bits down if I could. I am not comfortable yet just wearing a bikini top either. But, like others have mentioned, I think with some carefully placed netting or pearls or other assorted accessories you could probably find a happy place, which is what I think I will eventually do as well. But for now (until I get said accessories) I have a beautiful one piece bathing suit to wear with my tail. The pattern on the suit looks like bubbles or scales, so I think it works. It was a little more expensive than I would usually pay for a bathing suit, but it was worth it for the pattern, the fit, etc.

Also of note I have bought some super wide elastic which I plan to use for a sort of (hopefully well-disguised) waist band for my tail...I actually plan to sew two pieces together so it is wider and really smooths the tummy...so basically it will cover most of the waist and hips. Don't know how well this will work, but I've read somewhere here that people have used elastic waistbands to ensure the tail stays on and doesn't luft during swimming....so I guess it is of multiple benefit. So that might be something to try if you decide to make your own tail.

And just as a last thing to mention, as I was thinking about this whole slim model-type mermaid image the other day (and of course, this is in no way meant to be derogatory towards folks on here who actually are slim!!!): As beautiful as the slim mermaid stereotype can be, if you think about it, skinny mermaids probably wouldn't survive as well living full time in the seas...I mean, think of dolphins, whales, seals, manatees, etc...not a skinny mini in the bunch. A layer of blubber is fairly necessary for ocean survival ;) And that has pretty well settled the subject for me!!

AniaR
05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
sweetey, I am NOT slender, I guarantee you, it just comes off that way because I know how to pose :p I have my tail come up high in the waist specifically to cover ma belly rolls. Even when I'm at my thinnest I get them because of a curve in my back. There are lots of mers of different sizes, so dont feel all on your own. The key is being comfortable with your body and feeling confident, your figure will slim down with more swimming, and just Like Tyra says, get in front of that mirror and figure out your angles! I know how NOT to sit so I don't get a rolly chin, a rolly gut, back fat.. lol. and when you're wearing a mermaid tail there's a whole lot of everything for people to see- believe me. Since we're all the ones creating this mermaid world- we are CREATING the standard, and we can create a standard where all sizes are welcomed :D

Artisankatie
05-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm from Melbourne too. :O
Netting might be a good idea. I think I will make a tank style bathers top cos the store bought ones are a little uggo.

If you're not too far from the Bayside area, Gardenworld in Springvale Sth has some really good black netting, and HEAPS of seashells and stuff (it's a little pricey, but you might break even compared to buying something cheap overseas and then paying for shipping). You could weave some plastic seaweed in and out of the netting too, to make it a bit more interesting :)

Mermaasai
05-19-2012, 03:20 AM
First of all- I LOVE ursula... if there was a way to have a fully functional ursula octopus tail I would be IN like sin lol

I wanted to encourage you, I honestly think that when you are mermaiding no one will notice your weight. People almost always focus on the tail and the accessories ^.^
Like Raina was saying its about learning your angles and CONFIDENCE!
You're a beautiful, mystical mermaid of the deep!!!
Own it!

I'm not big but I have a serious double chin thing going on, like.. I look down even a little and BLAM doublechinsalsa!
And don't ask me to bend at the waist with out first adjusting my jeans or tail to cover my tummy rolls unless im super confident and feeling super duper luscious. I find that feeling luscious allows me to feel more comfortable in my body because it makes me accept my non-standard looks as 'exotic' and 'womanly'.
Who wants to be made of elbows and knees!??! Too bony mleh.
You arent alone ^.^

*merhugs*

The covering your tummy with netting or pearls is a great idea! I am actually making a jewelry piece that looks a little like this
to cover my tummy area. It will be made of beads and pearls and things like that. Hopefully once I get the kinks out and figure out how to ask for measurements I will make them for sale ^.^

I hope you are inspired by every one here ^.^ what ever you do will look great :D

Mermaid Bella
05-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Ever had that feeling like "I'm home"? Also I have been laughing myself stupid about the words in this thread "lumpy" "blam doublechinsalsa" "mah belly rolls" <3