PDA

View Full Version : My first tail - a work in progress

midwesternmermaid
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
A basic, sparkly spandex found here: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/7424 (http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/7424). They seem to have a nice selection and somewhat reasonable prices unless you might point me somewhere else. I'll have to check out the link on the materials page too. Just haven't gotten that far, yet. I want to use some solid, sheer, matte fabric on the sides for some frills and maybe afix some rhinestones or sequins. For the flukes (get this), cardboard and duct tape! I can reinforce the cardboard with itself (I've heard coat hangers work well too), making sure the corrugation flows with the movement of the fin, and seal it in duct tape. I can create the ridges with rolls of duct tape and seal it again. I want some of the same sheer fabric flowing from the end of my tail. Add sparkles (can never have enough).
I have some other ideas too. Probably would be more expensive and time-consuming. I just want to make a quick, nice tail so I can get in the water. Summer will not pass without one. I'll practice breath holds, diving and dolphin kicks in the meantime.

Mermaid Photine
05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
That sounds lovely! The duct-tape/cardboard is really creative. Also, you know the plastic that covers binders? It's kinda thick, and you can layer it together, and it would be more flowy than cardboard, if flowy is what you are going for. I'm just thinking this because it's almost end of the school year and my binders are trashed and falling apart, but still salvagable for materials...

midwesternmermaid
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Not a bad idea, MermaidPandora. Right now, I have quite a few extra boxes, so that's what I'll use.
Now i just need to test it out. Reinforce weaknesses. I expect it to bend with the corrugation inside, though. It's already doing that on one of the tips. See it here:
http://midwesternmermaid.deviantart.com/art/WIP-mermaid-tail-flukes-302932275

Mermaasai
05-19-2012, 02:47 AM
mmmm sparkles ^.^

MafaldaMermaid
05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I can't wait to see it! :D

AniaR
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I saw the pic on DA. Looks good, but I dont think tape and cardboard will hold up in the water.... I think a few people have tried that here. Plus it wouldnt give you any push with swimming. I think it works best for cosplay.

midwesternmermaid
05-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Well, I'll try. And if it works, great. If not, oh well. Let's see, what else do I got...?

AniaR
05-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Just be safe! :)

midwesternmermaid
05-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Raina. I'm reinforcing with coat hangers and even more duct tape. I'll wrap it in a shower curtain to waterproof it further and then add even more duct tape. I also have a pair of flippers I can work with. BTW, your work is really inspirational. I feel honored to call you my mer-sister.

midwesternmermaid
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
My test swim last summer was a miserable failure. Too much air is trapped in the corrugation so it will *not* go under water. I got a finis Wave and made my own spandex tail. I want to upgrade to silicone, but that's definitely going to take some time and money. My fortune cookie said my dream would come true in the next year. I hope it's right.

midwesternmermaid
03-31-2016, 01:53 PM
The universe seems to be telling me it's time for a silicone tail. But I have this ridiculous fear that once I get it made, that I'm not going to like. Beyond any artist being most critical of her own work - just an unreasonable "I don't like this and there's not way you can make me."