PDA

View Full Version : Were Mermaids Aquatic Apes? article/documentary

ShyMer
05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
My mom sent me this link (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/22/preview-were-mermaids-aquatic-apes/?intcmp=features) this morning. It's an interesting idea.

I'm not sure where they got the bit about some people being able to hold their breath for twenty minutes though. I thought the most was six or so minutes.

Looks like the show will be airing sometime this week as part of Animal Planet's monster week. Anyone know when? I don't have cable :(

Spindrift
05-22-2012, 10:59 AM
David Copperfield can hold his breath for 17 minutes and 4.4 seconds. I think he has the world record.

I haven't watched your link since I'm a little caught up at the moment, but I remember this guy who was obsessed with anthropology tell me a theory about how since all life started in the sea we may have had an ancestor with amphibious qualities. I may not be remembering that correctly though, since he liked to babble. :|

Alveric
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I got a degree in Anthropology back in the 70's. That theory was circulating around since at least then. We do have some characteristics that make more sense for aquatics, like having so little hair on our bodies.

AniaR
05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
yeah I watched the series before, they dont have any evidence it's just presented as more of a "what if"

Nyx
05-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I believe it is airing the 27th at 8
The animal planet website has the weekly schedule and it says there. :>

ShyMer
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
I kinda figured it'd be more like what Raina said it'd be...
It seems like a lot of programs I've seen on tv, especially Discovery, make like they've got something groundbreaking, only to leave us with "actually we really have no idea." Remember that one program about how they thought they found Atlantis on the coast of Spain? They kept repeating themselves until they finally got around to telling us that just have a theory but no funds to actually dig to prove anything. I had a sad :(

I'd still like to watch it though, it might be kinda cool.

Psychic Tideborn
05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
This documentary was released a while back on animal planet in other countries. It was called Sirenas. It was actually pretty interesting, and they showed a a cgi of what they think ancient merfolk would have looked like and how they may have hunted. I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad they are finally bringing it to the American Animal Planet.