PDA

View Full Version : Making my first tail.

Dacora
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
So as soon as I get my pay check in a few weeks im going to make my first tail and I
would like some advice.
Im going to get the Oceanika merfin, but instead of putting inside
the fabric like you would a rapid or wave I wanted to glue or attach the fabric to the mono fin just covering
my feet and have it show the mono fin. What do you guys think of this idea?
What should I use to attach the fabric to the mono fin? If I do this idea I
want to paint the mono fin. What paint could I use on it? Since its really flexible Im afraid the paint might
flake off. Im getting neoprene for the fabric so I can paint on scales. Any advice is appreciated. :)

AniaR
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I think that's how they're owner mahena does it. it even seems like maybe she just velcros the tail skin to the monofin because Ive seen her have different skins before. I dont think painting the monofin would work but I certainly think you could attach fabric. Smart idea!

Dacora
06-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks AniaR. I had Facebooked a msg at the creators of Oceanika and they said not to as well. Darn.
I was thinking of doing a latex tail with neoprene under it. Should I get a Oceanika or a finis for that? I want to keep the flowyness like the Oceanika merfin has.

Dacora
06-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Also I was going to use ALEX plus for the latex but after reading a thread on here about it Im having second thoughts. Is there any similar product I can use the same way you could use ALEX plus?

ShyMer
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I like the thought of not attaching the end of the spandex at all- maybe you have the fabric extend past the footpocket and have tattered, flowy stuff at the end. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the tail stretching and making baggy wrinkles at the end of your tail I guess.

I wish I knew what to suggest for painting the monofin. The colors they have are nice but a bit too textured in the wrong way for my tastes.

Dacora
06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Yea I don't like the way its textured either. I guess ill just put it in some neoprene and experiment with paints. I really like what you suggested with the tattered flowy stuff.