PDA

View Full Version : New Mermaid Story idea but i could use some help

Prince Calypso
05-27-2012, 02:22 PM
so ive been writing and rewriting this one story for like two years because i keep changing ideas.
i was inspired by the movie She Creature and the whole concept of a real live mermaid in a carnival or ciricus traveling show
i did a lot of research on the fiji mermaid and want to work that into the story.

so far i have my mermaid boy named solan having grown up in the cirrus all his life and having a very big attitude problem
when during one of his shows a boy is caught trying to sneak a peek at Solan's performance for free and is grabbed by the ring master on to reveal that the boy isn't human himself.

i'm having so problems whit that exactly to make the boy. i'm thinking fairy or harpy cause i like the idea of him having wings but satyr has also been swishing around my head two

so anyway solan and the boy build a slow friendship that even more slowly develops into a romance but the two have one goal in mind and that's to escape.
that's as far as ive gotten though.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Mermaid Annariea
05-27-2012, 10:48 PM
i like that idea, really. thats as far as you have to get, and once you finally get to where theyre going to escape, you can come up with all sorts of little obstacles. like, how could a merman escape? he has a fin and no legs. or maybe theyre on high security and are watched all the time.
also, i really like something with wings, and i love the faerie idea. i love faeries (:

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Hmm... have you read Bruce Coville's book "Half Human"? It is an anthology of stories about people who are half human (there is a mermaid story, set in ancient Greece, I think, and circus story about a birdlike boy trying to balance his human and animal nature). Also, your plot, aside from the romance, seems very similar to the opening story of the manga +Anima... a somewhat feminine-looking boy with the power to turn into a merman-like form performing as a "mermaid princess" in a circus rescued by a bird-winged boy who initially spies on the show without paying. The Romance angle is different, and the merman in +Anima had actually only recently joined the circus himself.

Still, your story idea has promise (it is significantly different from both the ones I mentioned... the story in Half Human has him dividing into a human and a hawk through unexplained new-agey methods, and +Anima has the characters joining with a bear boy and a bat girl to try and find a place to live). Maybe make the love interest a siren or something (like the original idea of sirens as bird-people with avian singing voices instead of a harpy).

Prince Calypso
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
oh wow i never really thought anyone read +Anima but me. its such an obscure Manga title lol
but yeah i did kinda get the kinda from the book lol
my story actually evolved out of a Fanfiction i was writing for +Anima becasue i had fallen so in love with Husky

anyway as for the idea of making my Harpy Boy into a Siren is really interesting and honestly it hand't really ever crossed my mind

Nate Walis
06-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Have you considered the idea of making the merman the natural prey of the harpy and having him hunting him down in the circus? There could be some play in the merman falling for the creature that he thinks has come to rescue him and then the relatioship changing as the harpy comes to know him and return his feelings. Perhaps both species are dying out and by overcoming their natural relationship as predator and prey they could gain new hope for survival.

Prince Calypso
09-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Have you considered the idea of making the merman the natural prey of the harpy and having him hunting him down in the circus? There could be some play in the merman falling for the creature that he thinks has come to rescue him and then the relatioship changing as the harpy comes to know him and return his feelings. Perhaps both species are dying out and by overcoming their natural relationship as predator and prey they could gain new hope for survival.

That.....is actually a really fucking epic idea!!!!
dude you rock so hard.!!
keep the ideas rolling guys

SilverSiren
09-09-2012, 06:17 AM
I love that idea too and also the male-male relationship... I can't think of any popular books with that sort of relationship off the top of my head, so it would be a good change of pace in my opinion. Why not a best seller with male-male romance for once? It needs to be done sometime.

telzey.amberdon
09-09-2012, 09:41 AM
How about having a disabled boy change places with him? I think it was Dickens The Little Prince. Your hero could leave and then realize the hours they spent planning the escape and switch were the most wonderful in his life. Then he goes back to his friend and they have to explain why the circus has 2 mermaids. You might make it back 100 years in time when people ignored someone in a wheelchair. Good luck!

Nate Walis
09-13-2012, 07:07 AM
That.....is actually a really fucking epic idea!!!!
dude you rock so hard.!!
keep the ideas rolling guys

I haven't rocked that hard for some time since I became a father, but thank you all the same!

It's nice to have ideas of mine called fucking epic as well.