PDA

View Full Version : Planning Events to be Inclusive (warning, may cause drama)

AniaR
05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I was very upset by something I heard said to Kae-Leah, Royal Purple Mermaid Princess on her FB today and it has prompted me to make this post.

WARNING, THIS POST MAY INCITE DRAMA THOUGH I WILL PERSONALLY MAKE AN EFFORT NOT TO FUEL DRAMA so read on with caution.

Kae-Leah brings up a lot of issues on her FB. If you dont know her, KL, as I call her, she has Aspergers, a form of autism that can affect social skills. Personally, I think Kae-Leah works very hard to maintain boundaries and be respectful, she's well aware of her own areas that need growth, and always responds well to CONSTRUCTIVE kind criticism. KL has a lot of views that maybe not everyone in the world may agree with, for instance, her stance on not eating any sea food. Most people either engage in respectful discussion about her beliefs, or choose not to participate because they know they disagree.

One thing KL really wrestles with is her inability to swim. She has posted about it frequently on here, looking for advice and suggestions, sparking great discussion, and ultimately deciding due to her health and the pain it causes that swimming is not for her. Most people know this about KL. She can bring it up frequently, because it's a place where she feels a bit insecure. All of the other mers in the community (that she sees) are comfortable in the water, but she is not.

KL works really hard to be a champion for austism and other related causes. So, she decides to represent the land bound mers. A recent suggestion she made on her FB was that events should consider adding other things besides a swim when they have mermaid meets, conventions, etc so that people who can't participate in the water can still enjoy the community of mers around them and feel included. This is a very basic, respectful, request. And I doubt until she brought it up, people probably wouldnt think of it. I would compare this to myself having environmental illness. E.g. the university I attended is scent free, by law, I have the right despite having an environmental illness to attend school without fear of severe allergic reaction to perfume. So, KL's request, to be included, should really, in my opinion be a right.

Someone left a rather nasty comment on her FB about it all, which in my opinion the only reason for making such a mean comment would be to hurt someone's feelings. She made a good point, and the person told her off in a comment for not being able to get in the water. Totally disrespectful and un-needed. You know me, I can't stand seeing people be bullied or treated that way, so I sat here thinking- how can we make sure this doesnt happen to her or anyone else again, and how can we make sure 'community' members understand it's totally NOT okay to treat a person that way. (I mean, it's not as if this person has even said a kind thing to her, only ever negativity. Why even like someone's page if you dont like what they say or do? Just don't even follow them.)

Well, I think getting a conversation going about inclusion would be a start. I thought we could brainstorm some ways that people can be included in events if they can't go in the water. People have handicaps, fears, illnesses, lots of things that keep them out of the water. Or maybe somebody shows up and something goes wrong and they just can't swim like the plan to. What things could be organized to keep others included?

A few of my suggestions, feel free to add your own:

-group/individuals photos in and out of the pool. Someone like KL could sit by the edge, or mers could gather around them in a chair, either way, group and individual photos are something that can easily be done outside of the water to help someone feel included.

-a station/table for making mer jewellery/accessories etc. Part of a meet up could include everyone bringing some crafty things to share. Mimi and I are hoping to get together for a whole day dedicated to that stuff! Great way to collaborate with people, totally easy to add so people feel included.

-Makeup station, similar idea, people bring makeup (if their sharing makeup it needs to be clean with a variety of brand new unused makeup applicators) trying out different eye makeups, scale patterns can be done on both guys and gals, etc.

Those were the first 3 I came up with. Of course if it's an event that is attracting viewers having someone like KL sitting on a chair to answer questions for people is great too.

I always say, that since we're still such a small community we get to shape how things turn out. We get to decide really, what's acceptable and what's not. There will always be members of the community that have personal issues with each other, but when it comes to FB pages if you dont like what someone says, stop following them. It's unfair to be cruel to people and attack something you KNOW they are super insecure about. This community in my opinion should be one where if someone cant get in the water, that doesn't mean they cant feel included.

Anyway, thanks to KL for even making me think about this. I feel bad that I never considered it before since a big part of my professional field is making sure kids are included in school, gym class, field trips etc regardless of their need or ability.

Let's hear your ideas! What else can people organize at events and get togethers to accommodate everyone? (and perhaps you've thought of something else beside KL's situation)

edit: I also think brainstorming ways to make men feel more included is a good idea too since like so many mer'maid' things tend to cater to things generally seen as female. Maybe belt making, triton making? Mer-vests like Ryans? ideas?

edit #2: because apparently it needs to be said again, this post is in no way attacking any person who puts on an event. This is about the idea of inclusion, and how to make that inclusion happen while giving people ideas for events.

Spindrift
05-30-2012, 06:27 PM
What about really shallow pools (the inflatable kind or just the really shallow, knee deep portion of kiddie pools), or those spray fountains/sprinklers? That way they can still get wet without needing to swim. And maybe Slip 'n Slides as well?

http://www.universalhub.com/images/2008/spray2008-06-21.jpg

http://www.fountainseverywhere.com/images/products/small/Floating_Spray_Fountain.jpg

http://www.onlyaboutall.com/images/stories/ARTICLES/SPORT/2011_JUNE/Slip_and_slide/slip_n_slide.jpg

Princess Kae-Leah
05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
An idea for a dry event that I've been trying to sell ppl on for ages is a mer-movie night, where we all sit around watching Splash or The Little Mermaid while eating goldfish crackers, Swedish Fish, and other aquatic-themed junk food.

AniaR
05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
What about really shallow pools (the inflatable kind or just the really shallow, knee deep portion of kiddie pools), or those spray fountains/sprinklers? That way they can still get wet without needing to swim. And maybe Slip 'n Slides as well?

Holy cow that's so smart I never thought of it! Picking a venue where something like that would be awesome. I know here in my city there's a special playground that's made so anyone with any physical need can still play and they have those. Also, astro-turf. Hurts lets if you fall. KL- do you think that would be something you're comfortable in? I know you're comfortable in the tub sometimes, so maybe wading pools would be nice. I think at least the sprinkler way that way people with lots of disabilities or inability to swim can join in.

An idea for a dry event that I've been trying to sell ppl on for ages is a mer-movie night, where we all sit around watching Splash or The Little Mermaid while eating goldfish crackers, Swedish Fish, and other aquatic-themed junk food.

themed food is a really great ideas!

It's tricky for people planning events, if someone doesn't come through for you on something they promise it can all fall through, there are expenses (and people usually dont want to pay very much) and you cant control the weather. I think anyone trying to take on running an event, a get together, or something big like WMA or Mer-Palooza people need to try and have patience. Hopefully with this thread and a good resource list when people want to plan things they can have some ideas.

I think if I was running a get together Id ask everyone to chip in and bring snacks.

P.s. KL, my friend Paul who commented on your FB is a super amazing inspiring person to me. He's bound to a wheelchair, and we met when I was ill and told Id probably lose the ability to walk. He's got a really great story, and even though his health has gone down, he doesnt let it stop him from getting around. He's in that wheelchair and he's always out taking photos!

edit: for some reason I skipped over the word "movie night"
You could totally have mer movie nights, or gatherings to go to see a movie that's coming out too that involves mers. People could wear mer stuff without tails. Do you think you'd ever host something?

Spindrift
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
People can also get together in doing community service projects, like beach cleanups, if there were enough interested. Or a "meet and greet mermaids" event (so that kids - in a library, hospital, fair, school, etc. - can meet a whole pod of mermaids?). A mer-party afterwards to celebrate after any of these activities could be very doable.

Mermaid Saphira
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Movie-night? Swedish fish? COUNT ME IN :D

Princess Kae-Leah
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM
The mer-movie night I had in mind we sit around in our tails while watching the movie. I love wearing my tail, so to me a dry meet doesn't have to mean tailless. One tailless meet-up idea I suggested though is Disney's TLM is gonna be re-released next year in 3D, but not many people seemed interested in a TLM 3D meetup.

AniaR
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM
People can also get together in doing community service projects, like beach cleanups, if there were enough interested. Or a "meet and greet mermaids" event (so that kids - in a library, hospital, fair, school, etc. - can meet a whole pod of mermaids?). A mer-party afterwards to celebrate after any of these activities could be very doable.

Beach cleanups are great, and I think if they can be added on as part of a mer event, not just the main thing, people can really be encouraged to come. We're starting to get a few more mermaids out in my city I was actually thinking of holding a beach clean then getting us all in our costumes to pose for helpers who want pics. I follow "two hands" on FB and it's scary the stuff they get outta the ocean. You know plastic green army men are in the top 10 of things ALWAYS found on a beach? How creepy is that!

One tailless meet-up idea I suggested though is Disney's TLM is gonna be re-released next year in 3D, but not many people seemed interested in a TLM 3D meetup.

I heard a rumour it was going to come out on my birthday :D

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
i think wading pool and the like would be cool or maybe a grotto like area thats close to the water but not in it like a how mermaids sun themselves on rocks and shallows.
honestly i never really considered that there were mermaids who couldn't or didn't feel comfortable swimming. I agree that we should include dry events for conventions and get togethers its only fair.

AniaR
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I think there's a lot of people too who identify as a mermaid,merman and just dont have a tail!

Also, Calypso your gif freaks me out. I keep getting worried about her hair, LOL. I was wondering when someone in the community was going to pick up on that video

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I think there's a lot of people too who identify as a mermaid,merman and just dont have a tail!

Also, Calypso your gif freaks me out. I keep getting worried about her hair, LOL. I was wondering when someone in the community was going to pick up on that video

Honestly Raina i'm surprised no body has latched on to the video yet. i mean she comes out of a swamp with scales on her back and boobs. if that doesn't say mermaid idk what does. i mean granted they're alligator or crocodile scales but still.

and her hair as she goes down is freaking epic i love it.

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Honestly this should even be an issue.
i'm a pretty good swimmer but in all truth of the matter
and I know saying this is gonna make me sound like some stereotypical black chick
but there are days i can not and will not get my hair wet.

so i would think that convention or event should offer just as much dry events as they do wet
i can understand how KL feels about be excluded. hell i live in Bakersfield California, i am the only mer in my home town and miles away from the beaches
i feel excluded all the damn time.

there should be dry events fro mermaid who can't swim or don't won tails.
ive been anime conventions, and furrie conventions they have stuff for people who don't have fursuits and stuff for people who aren't dressed as anime characters
mermaids conventions should be just as open

Merman Chris
05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I think that is all well and good and if anyone wants to organize dry events, hey have it. At the same time, don't be upset that someone is putting on a very aquatic-centered event given the fact that the vast majority of people who put on a tail are wanting exactly that.

Mermaid Dottie
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I came up with this one yesterday; Mermaid Picnic!
My hubby brought something home from his parents' house yesterday, and it totally inspired me. It's a window pattern quilt with FISH in the windows. I wanted to take photos on it right away.

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 07:30 PM
we we say dry events we mean in correlation wit the main aquatic events. i'm not saying an entire event on land i just mean there should be options for everybody

Mermaid Dottie, a mermaid picnic sounds freaking epic. my two favorite things mermaids and food lol

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 07:31 PM
and Merman Chris. i'm not dumping on your event or anything like that or saying that your wrong in planning an all aquatic event i'm just syaing that for later conventions that dry events should be taken into consideration

Nemefish
05-30-2012, 07:47 PM
We should all just get along and not segregate (land and aquatic merfolk together !) <3:highfive:

Prince Calypso
05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
We should all just get along and not segregate (land and aquatic merfolk together !) <3
agreed

Mermaid Dottie
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
MerBellas did one once, not exactly 'dry'....
Mermaid Carwash!

I also had a guy message me on here about getting a mermaid on his boat. This'd be great for events that take place at rivers and lakes. Mermaid boating!

Maybe educational panels about conservationism? I'd dig that one!

AniaR
05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I am loving the ideas this is generating. <3 and that's the point. not to harp on Shelly or anyone else for not having certain things- I still feel bad for all the complaints Sita gets after trying so hard with WMA. How's that rolling stones song go? You cant always get what you waaaannnt! And we can't all the time. But I think it's something we need to aim for as we grow as a community.

Including dry events into land events (I hear ya on the hair man, wasnt sure I was even going to be able to swim in Florida mine was in such rough shape) and even doing just dry ones!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
05-31-2012, 02:02 AM
Hmm... I do greatly prefer it when people stay on topic or start/refresh other topics when appropriate, but it's true that Princess Kae-Leah doesn't deserve to be hurt because she was trying to be included. I do have some ideas that I'm kinda surprised no one has thought of before...

1. Who needs water at all? The Little Mermaid performance in... I think it was MGM at Disney... had holographic projectors making lights above the audience's head that resembles the surface of the water, so that the entire theater felt like it was submerged. This is probably outside our budget/technology limit, but DJs and Aquarium displays do all kinds of cool effects with lights... it really shouldn't be that difficult to rig up a blue and green light system that projects bubbles and waves of cool light around a dry area to make it feel submerged without anyone getting wet at all, which should appeal to the people in dry tails as well as those, like Princess Kae-Leah, who aren't able to comfortably swim.

2. Homemade hovercraft are apparently not that difficult to make (school science classes do them all the time) and one could be rigged up to provide that zooming, gliding motion common to swimming and other water movement.

3. Sculpting. Clay and other sculpting materials (some of which are easier to clean than clay) provide a way for people to exercise creativity, sculpt and decorate smaller versions of their mersonas, construct reefs and other background pieces, and have fun.

4. Why limit oneself to mermaids... Dryads, Oreads, Yuki-Onna, Naga, and Djinn all have the basic body shape (human on top, tapered lower body ending in a tail, roots, snow, smoke, whirlwind, etc) and much of the same habitat as mermaids, without the need for water, and that's not even counting fairies, classical sirens (with birdlike bodies), and other more common examples of mythical people.

5. In line with the talk about DJ's, above, maybe some sort of dance floor with various sea and mermaid-related songs, including those from the little mermaid and other movies. Princess Kae-Leah, I'm not sure whether your spinal difficulties limit your dancing, or what movement restrictions you had out of the water, but I figured that the music was, at least, something you could enjoy and sway along with (in my experience, dancing requires a very particular mix of people who are actually interested in dancing in order to catch on anyway, so listeners might outnumber dancers to begin with).

6. Karaoke. Yes, we'd need to make sure there were available sea-and-mermaid-related songs. But really, karaoke is fun and amusing, and if everyone is required to applaud for everyone (as is the case with my experiences in karaoke no matter the singer's voice or similarity to the original performance) it could be a lot of fun. What is a mermaid event without singing, after all?

7. I know someone mentioned makeup, but what about hair styling? It is certainly something that everyone could take part in, particularly if temporary colored streaks of hair gel, feathers, fake seaweed, fake pearls, and the like are involved. Might be especially interesting if there were lessons and different mers had to take a lesson and then work on one of their fellow mer's hair as a sort of mutual thing.

8. Open Mike/Poetry Slam. For the writers who want to share a brief excerpt of their stories, to those who don't feel comfortable singing but do want to share their favorite mer poems, either ones they've heard of before (Margaret Atwood's Siren Song is a favorite of mine) or their own poetry, it might be fun as well.

9. Fortunetelling. Tarot Cards, Crystal Balls, Palmistry, Astrology, Runes, Talking Boards, I-Ching, Numerology, and the like can be a lot of fun, and a number of people know how to do them. It might be fun to have an array of fortune tellers giving mer-related fortunes.

10. Drag Queens. "Female Illusionists" are awesome, they are great performers by necessity, and since they usually lip-synch and dance, they have a greater range of songs than karaoke singers do. Anyone can enjoy a drag queen's performance, and they're good with glamor of all sorts. Also, other performers, such as stage magicians, dancers, acrobats, jugglers, and the like might be fun.

11. A mer talent show, perhaps taking several of the above ideas and helping each mer showcase his or her special qualities and backgrounds.

Merman Chris
05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Look. Sleepovers, movie nights......you guys or anyone else wants to host an event with such things, please go ahead. For us, and our closest merfriends, we are adults. Swimming is what it is all about. Feeling more at one with the water. Becoming something else. Feeling free. It is a very spiritual, zen meditative thing for us and is what being a mer is all about. I know we are not "real mers" as it were but at the same time, we are not "wearing costumes and pretending". This is real for us in its own way, and thus will be the focus of any event we are involved in.

AniaR
05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
those are some FIN-TASTIC ideas!!! <3 I never thought about drag queens, or doing hair either. Braiding is pretty popular, especially the fish tail braid and could still be done in the water.

Spindrift
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm so horrible at styling my own hair :|
If anyone wants to have a go at it, feel free lol.

Mermaid Lorelei
05-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I love the idea of giving lessons on makeup, hair, jewelry and such.

LindseyLu
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
These are all some really fantastic ideas!!! I would love to go to a gathering where someone could do my hair, makeup, and I could do some crafts etc on the side! :) I totally get what you're saying Chris, I am a swimmer too and would prefer to be in the water most of the time, but wouldn't mind if there were some alternate means of entertainment for when I get all pruney and have to get out of the water :) We all prune eventually, right, LOL!? And it can get pretty exhausting swimming around for hours at a time. Not saying that you and Shelley should have to incorporate these things into your events if you decide it's not for you, but it wouldn't hurt for anyone else planning an event in the future to keep these things in mind. Some of these ideas sound like a lot of fun! :)

Theta
05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe another idea might be a dry photo area? I know Merbellas have those giant clam shells for sitting on- at wet events, someone could set up a 'dry' grotto for those who don't want to/can't go in the water.

AniaR
05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Not saying that you and Shelley should have to incorporate these things into your events if you decide it's not for you, but it wouldn't hurt for anyone else planning an event in the future to keep these things in mind.

Agreed. This post was not intended as an attack against shelly OR ANY OTHER person who's putting on an event. It was a response to the comment made to KL that gave her the impression this was her issue and to get over it. If Im going to ask and suggest event organizers include everyone, I better be able to put my money where my mouth is and give some ideas. Hence all the brainstorming. As I've said several times, taking on putting on an event is a lot of work. KL can't even go to Shell's event so this is no way saying Shelly needs to change her event. I hope in the future however, people can give some consideration to all these ideas, because people do have a right to be included so as a community we should always be striving to create that sort of environment :)

ShyMer
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey, so can we please keep this on topic? I for one am enjoying the different ideas people are coming up with.

Spindrift
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Uh. What about some giant project that mers can all work together on? A float or something? Although storage might be an issue then.

Prince Calypso
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
IDK if any one has read The Tail of Emily Windsnap books but the mermaids go to this big coral reef school where they have courses like hair combing !)!, Siren Lessons, How to make Jewelry our of Shells and stuff like that. i think that would be a nice little nitch to have an event.
Mermaid lesson. hair styling, jewelry, make up,
honestly these where things i always thought mermaids did in there free time anyway lol

i think photo booths and such are a good idea too and shallow little lagoons and such.
i don't think we should cut water completely out of the equation cause the Mer in Mermaid does kinda stand for marine
but i do think including dry events FOR ALL AGES is a Fin-tastic idea

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Ugh... I don't know, Calypso, the Tail of Emily Windsnap was a good idea, but a poor execution, I thought. Little in the way of reasoning and no explanation for how merfolk naturally had pockets in their tails (did they evolve from Marsupials?). Getting back to the topic, not everyone is into hair styling, jewelry, etc... particularly not the straight mermen and less traditionally "girly" mermaids. A more broad selection of options is probably necessary.

New York Mermaid
05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
might i add for dry events this might be a good idea- a mermaid friend did something epic and I want one, and hey its a way to get around and still be in the "mermaid theme", you dont have to get wet either, not all events have to be wet themed
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/559384_146627532128646_100003442017141_77259_27118 512_n.jpg

from a personal experience kids can be downright nasty at times and yes its true alot of in water events are around. However there are communities who can work with dry events, a "Nautical Night or weekend" is a great idea full of movies, music, story times and create your own mermaid crown or pirate hat., hand out little ocean themed (child friendly) goodie bags as well.

or how about Library event reading books to kids about ocean animals and or memaids Or even go to classrooms and talk to kids about the ocean. I remember when i was little we had a trainer come in and teach us about birds and repltiles, stuff like that they kept it fun and interesting.

Being a Dry mermaid makes you no different you ARE NOT Limited to anything, You need to be the pioneer here and make these events happen for yourself, for others who are similar to you. I just dont see why it looks to be hard, all you got to do is brainstorm and know what your limited to and are flexible with. Heck i know a mermaid who went over to a movie theatre for the premiere of big miracle and in tail im sure educated and interacted with the kids.. i wanna say Luna.

Mermaid Photine
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Decorate your own mer-shaped cookies? I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy decorating a cookie.

Princess Kae-Leah
05-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I LOVE wearing my tail though, Kanti...

Kanti
05-31-2012, 07:21 PM
That's fine, but sometimes you can't get everything that you want.
You can wear your tail but then you risk getting hurt in a deep pool swimming. You can wear your tail,
you just have to make sure you're doing what's best for you and for the event you're going to. If it's going
to be mainly dry or organized in such a way that there will be lots of ledges for you to be near or in the pool but
it won't be dangerous for you, then go for it and take your tail! But if not, you may want to design a new costume
that's just as fun to wear but your legs will be free.
If not, all I can say is you may want to avoid those events that are mainly in deeper water and include a lot of
swimming.
I'm not trying to be mean, sorry, just trying to be realistic about it.

I'd LOVE to fly all over the world and go to every mermaid event, but I don't really have the money for it, so
my handicap is money in that sense. I have to plan things that take my money into consideration and though
I'd like to go to the events, I just can't. It sucks, but you have to take your own life into account and do things
that are best for your interests, even if they don't seem to be the funnest option.

HBMermaid_Angela
05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
I have to agree with Kanti! Although all these ideas for "dry events" are fantastic, not every event can incorporate them. Also, I feel people may have gotten their feelings hurt because working on any event is really stressful. And if a person KNOWS that there is no way they will be able to make the event, then they shouldn't complain or feel hurt because there is not something at the event that would include them. That's like someone planning a skydiving event and for a person, who wont be at the skydiving event suggests that they do more things on the ground, because they personally are afraid of heights! Or for me, who is not going to Merpalooza because I live in California to sit there and tell the people running the event that they should do different things that I like, and aren't already planned.

I am totally for making everyone feel welcomed and happy but EVERYONE needs to stop being sensitive. Sometimes things come off as an attack. It never helps either that we don't hear each others voices. We don't know if the tone of what someone is writing is sarcastic, funny, happy, vindictive, etc.

ShyMer
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Cookie decorating sounds fun <3

I was wondering about what J&R said too- can anyone think of things to do that aren't as "girly"? We need to be able to appeal to different interests. How about pirate/sailor themed activities? I love pirate things :)

Kanti
05-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Yea, that's true, Angela. It sucks sometimes that people aren't included and it's not their fault, but
I mean, mermaid tails are for swimming in. When someone buys one they expect to use it for swimming.
It's not that people are mean or don't care about someone who can't swim, it's just, we want to use the
tail for what it's meant for. People organize mermaid events for them to SWIM in their tails because that's
what they expect.

I'm all for making a dry event, though. I think it's important to include other people whenever you can, but
you can't expect people to change or alter their events if they want a wet event. It's what the tail is made
for, after all.

Mermaid Photine
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
I also think as a group we're starting to split things into wet and dry events, My original ideas was dry things that could be incorporated into wet events. I think we've brainstormed a lot and been successful and there's a good chunk of ideas for future event planned and people to consider.
[/SIZE]
You mean, like poolside things if you don't feel like swimming? That would be awesome. Sometimes I just don't feel like swimming or I am really tired, but obvoiusly I'd still want to attend a mer event. :)

Princess Kae-Leah
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Actually, my tail is NOT really meant to be seriously swam in. It can get wet yes, but it doesn't have a monofin and is open at the bottom so I can take cautious baby steps in it, so it's meant to be a costume, not a swim aid. When I first bought it, swimming was the LAST thing on my mind, I just wanted to dress up in it. To me, it's not different than buying costume fairy or angel wings and not expecting them to really fly.

AniaR
05-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Everyone has a right to enjoy their mermaid tail in whatever way they feel appropriate. It's not anyone's place to really judge anyone else. I think the fact that more than simply KL expressed an interest in having dry events or wet events that included dry portions in this thread proves that it's common. kL I hope all these ideas will benefit you and mers like you in the future. Im sorry you've had this negative experience and lost a few people in your virtual life because of it- but I think like I told you on your FB, you're a trail blazer for a lot of things. Trail blazers unfortunately are alone at first. But when trail blazers blaze the trail they make room for all the like minded people! Think what the mer community would be like if a few key people just decided to keep their mouth shut and do what was expected? I doubt Hannah would have made waves, and I doubt we'd have a forum. By you expressing a concern it made others who have the same concern feel okay about bringing it up.

I know you work very hard on your social skills, and I hope you'll keep working hard.

Prince Calypso
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Ugh... I don't know, Calypso, the Tail of Emily Windsnap was a good idea, but a poor execution, I thought. Little in the way of reasoning and no explanation for how merfolk naturally had pockets in their tails (did they evolve from Marsupials?). Getting back to the topic, not everyone is into hair styling, jewelry, etc... particularly not the straight mermen and less traditionally "girly" mermaids. A more broad selection of options is probably necessary.

lol i agree. i never said i like the book but it was cute and silly so i read it
i just thought the mermaid 101 idea was fun

Prince Calypso
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
You mean, like poolside things if you don't feel like swimming? That would be awesome. Sometimes I just don't feel like swimming or I am really tired, but obvoiusly I'd still want to attend a mer event. :)

That what i'm saying. not just Dry only events. have them together. so if you wanna get wet get wet if you don then don't there will be other things for you do do

AniaR
05-31-2012, 08:57 PM
not to be too gross or TMI but there were an awful lot of women who posted in the thread about eco friendly time of the month, many of them expressed they dont like to go swimming during that time. So it's not even just people who can't swim or are handicapped etc. People could not want to go in the water for a lot of reasons.

Prince Calypso
05-31-2012, 09:01 PM
LIKE MY HAIR!!!
thank you raina!!!
that what i'm saying getting wet or being dry should be an choice at an event. and no one is trying to say that Shelly should chnge her event or anything like that
no on is attacking anybody we're just trying to come up with ideas for mermaids like KL who can't get wet and swim.
or for those who for any other reason don't really want to get wet either.
it should have never been take to the level of an argument or anything in the like.

Kanti
05-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Actually, my tail is NOT really meant to be seriously swam in. It can get wet yes, but it doesn't have a monofin and is open at the bottom so I can take cautious baby steps in it, so it's meant to be a costume, not a swim aid. When I first bought it, swimming was the LAST thing on my mind, I just wanted to dress up in it. To me, it's not different than buying costume fairy or angel wings and not expecting them to really fly.

Hmm. I dunno, perhaps you could try a sea nymph costume? Those are pretty cool!
Sorry KL, I don't want to sound discouraging, I just think that a lot of the mermaid events
will end up being wet based.

Hopefully we can start making some dry events soon, though, I think they sound like a lot
of fun~

Kanti
06-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Yea..
I sort of want to be an admin so I can just move these things on sight.

ANYWAY ABOUT THOSE DRY EVENTS!! Lol
I sort of wonder how everyone would go about doing one. The picnic for example seems hard. I guess
we'd get everything in one place, set it all down, then get into a spot and put your tail on?

I think going to a renaissance fair would be really fun. The one near my house just started up some pirate-themed
area so a bunch of mermaids deciding to spend the day around there would be fitting! We could also mess around
with the kids there and enjoy the sights.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Ren-fairs equal love! You can get away with just about anything at a ren-fair, and totting around a bunch of mers probably wouldn't screw anything up. XD

Kanti
06-01-2012, 01:27 AM
You'd just have to pick the spot before you sit down cause you probably won't be moving for a while xD
At my ren fair we had a mermaid come in. Her tail wasn't really a tail, more like a wrap of fabric with the
scuba fins sticking out the end xD But she still did a great job. She sat herself by the edge of the water
and splashed around and sometimes she even got in the water and swam around a bit.
In a way you could do that. Maybe sit a bunch of mers by the edge of the water so they're not just randomly
in the middle of the road and so some people can get some water action if they need it lol

Mermaid Lorelei
06-01-2012, 01:46 AM
My ren-fest happens to have a pirate section as well that was more or less built up with a dock and a 'pond'. It's not actually swim safe, but the thought of a bunch of mers sitting on the dock with pirates all about is a happy one. Tons of interaction, guest gawking, photo snapping, you name it. I think ren-fests are perfect, so long as you can find somewhere to sit your fishy-tushy.

AniaR
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
ugggh I wish to GOD we had ren faires here but we dont. We have lots of historical re-enactment(sp?) and LOTS of pirate stuff, we have a lot of boat history, crash history, rum running history LOL but they dont do actual ren faires which sucks because a huge amount of the community participate in similar events that are simply less open and imply a very specific costume.

Kanti
06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe no one ever started one up there? Seems weird, as if someone would have thought up the idea at
one point or another. At least a pirate festival is something close~
I love ren-fairs too much I couldn't imagine not having them @__@

And haha
Hope you show us what you get up to once it's done, Chris xD
Keeping yourself busy is always a great way to avoid nonsense.

Merman Chris
06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah it's intense. Every have your purpose in life completely laid out for you and your understanding of your place in the universe absolutely crystal clear? That just happened to me. Now I just have to distill it for others.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
BACK ON TOPIC, PLEASE!

What about a mer-comedian/comedienne? I bet a comedy routine would be a lot of fun for everyone.

Prince Calypso
06-01-2012, 08:00 PM
BACK ON TOPIC, PLEASE!

What about a mer-comedian/comedienne? I bet a comedy routine would be a lot of fun for everyone.

thank you back to the topic at hand
i never would have thought of a mermaid comedy routine but it sounds funny and interesting

WavyMermaidy
06-01-2012, 08:26 PM
What about mermaid-yoga? This could potentially be a dry activity at a dry/wet event or a purely dry event. Gentle, simple yoga poses, breathing, meditation...all in our tails. Could do something like that on mats, grass, carpet, or even sitting on the side of a pool. As a trained yoga instructor I would love to lead and/or participate in something like that!

Prince Calypso
06-01-2012, 08:42 PM
wouldn't some Yoga poses be a little difficult in a tail?
Raina put that in the mermaid comics lol

AniaR
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
What about mermaid-yoga?
I saw some sculptures of mermaids doing Yoga and tried to do it at a photoshoot. Not so easy in the big old tail, but still fun!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Things like Tai Chi and Quigong might work as well as Yoga, since there are more arm motions but a mostly standing position, instead of the various leg positions of Yoga.

WavyMermaidy
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
^^ Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking...doing more arm movements, breathing, etc. But of course we can also lift our tails and bend them, extend and flex ankles, move hips, etc. I've been to chair yoga classes that don't do a lot of leg spreading at all. But the point is really any of those moving-meditation type things would be a good addition to an event I think.

AniaR
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I think a guided meditation in or out of water would be lovely

Mermaid Citrine
07-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Kae-Leah, I admire your passion and courage ! and you already know I don't eat sea animals (or any animals ;)

Whoever told you something nasty must be a very miserable person, just remember that, you rock Kae-Leah ! <3

Stephanie Sims
07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Regarding the WMA's and Sita last year, Thank goodness she and others involved had the sense to jear me out regarding the pageant/costume contest thing during the day. That evolved into the central happening of the day, since the trade show, for whatever reason, was not very large. The media loved the "pageant" and the mermaids lounging and being shown off. The nighttime party afterward was wonderful, too and it SEEMS like I saw several dressed Mer's around the pool who were not getting wet at all. These are all excellent points and ideas. With blessings from the Mer community, I would like to try to implement some of these in MerPalooza. :)

For any of you coming, I would appreciate all help I can get re: volunteers - We definitely want everyone to feel included and share the fantasy feeling.

Stephanie Sims
07-19-2012, 07:56 AM
I think a guided meditation in or out of water would be lovely
Raina, Do you have ant thoughts on who could lead this or how to achieve it? Thank you in advance!

Merman Dan
07-19-2012, 10:28 AM
How about a merfolk flash mob? Everyone gathers at Starbucks (for the logo. naturally) and slips into their tails?

Raayvhen
07-19-2012, 12:03 PM
So KL and I are both in the North Pacific Pod and we're actually planning on two different meetups. One is going to be a swim meetup and the second is going to be two months later and we're going to go to the Aquarium and take tail pictures on the pier afterwards.

Thalassa
07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
What about:

*Making mermaid bath salts (these could be scent-free if needed, or essential oils could be added)...you know, baking soda, sea salt, seaweed?

*Sing along (remember those old Disney sing-along tapes? XP) or karaoke

*Water balloon hot-potato (fill the balloon to almost bursting, whoever it breaks on is out or just gets wet. Alternatively you could poke holes in the balloon and whoever it runs out of water on is out).

Also, when I was afraid of swimming (I was sooo afraid of getting in the water!) I had fun throwing dive toys into the pool for the other people or being the judge of games like Poison Pool.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I actually think that, in this case, necessity is the mother of invention. With mer-meetups and conventions being so very new, nobody's sure what to do at them exactly, and so it starts out with the basics (swimming, shopping, books, runway show, cosplay, etc). That's relatively little, really. Even ignoring really huge comic conventions, smaller ones still provide a number of possible ideas (bands and other live music, Costume Balls/Dances, etc were big at Faeriecon, and the Philadelphia Flower Show last year had a hawaiian theme with actual Hula dancers performing the ritual dance of Pele the Fire/Volcano Goddess and the creation of the Hawai'ian islands, in addition to some beautiful and artistic floral creations). Other ideas might be storytellers (and/or storytelling competitions), talks/panels of mer authors and folklorists, discussions of different sea animals and mythical traditions involving merfolk and sea gods/goddesses and sea monsters, and a treasure hunt with some sort of special prize for whomever locates the "sunken treasure", lessons on breath holding/control exercises and singing, conservation and recycling directions (like cutting the plastic rings around six packs of cans so they don't strangle fish, tips for conserving water), advice about setting up water gardens, etc.

So, in summary, Princess Kae-Leah's concerns might have helped the rest of us see areas we were neglecting that could make events more interesting for everyone involved, not just "dry mers" or swimMERS.

Mahi Mermaid
07-25-2012, 11:25 PM
lol where is this video with cal's gf? I wanna see the scales!!

Princess Kae-Leah
07-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I think guided meditation, like Raina said, would be AWESOME, check out my thread on meditation.