PDA

View Full Version : Hannah Inspired Scales

Mermaid Saphira
05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know how to make the 3D scales like Hannah Fraser uses? Once I get the cash, I want to do something like this for my next tail. The only thing I know about hand painted scales is that you have to make a stencil..but how do you get them 3d??? Something like this........

ShyMer
05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
It looks to me like it looks 3d because of where she puts the paint. It looks like most of the white paint is on the very tip of each scale with the least amount of paint at the base. She has a little extra white on the edges of each scale too, but you don't want to make them the same white as on the tip. They'd need to fade a bit as they go to the base. The middle part of the scale has a smooth gradient from white to no paint part of the way down the scale. You'd need to play around to find out how far down you'd like it to go, also if you want the gradient to go in a flat line like hers or if you want it to curve any.
You should probably experiment with different brushes, sponges, fingers, or whatever you'd like to use to blend the paint to see what works best for you. I think I would probably use a tool that would show brush strokes as little as possible, and I would try to apply my paint as thinly as I could so I could blend it better.

As for the stencils, you could buy packs of plastic at walmart or whatever that are marketed for making your own stencils. I sometimes make temporary stencils for stuff with cereal box cardboard, but it's kinda thick, and would probably make your edge different than if you use a thin plastic of some kind. Also, cardboard wouldn't last very long and would probably bleed paint and make marks you don't want so maybe don't do that (though if I want to keep a cardboard stencil I put shellac or something on it so I can use it more, just as a thought.)
I one time used some kind of thin but sturdy plastic to make some fish stencils for a printmaking class. It was fantastic because it cut really easily and stood up well to abuse. I don't know what it was called though, I kinda swiped it from the materials stash :I

It looks to me like she probably has a white and maybe a dark blue paint on it in a few places.

So to sum up- describe to yourself what you can see and experiment with some tools to see what you can make on your own.

Sorry I went and gave you huge chunks of text there, I feel like I might have given you a bunch of stuff you coulda figured out on your own. Oh well :)
Were you thinking about making a spandex tail this way?

Mermaid Photine
05-30-2012, 09:00 PM
It is flat neoprene, but the scales are shaded to look 3d. Did you ever shade cubes and spheres in art class? It's the basic idea, just scale-shaped. Look up some references: alligators and crocodiles come to mind, and practice painting the patterns you like on ordinary paper (use a paper with a medium tone- grey constrution paper or something along with a lighter and a darker paint). Work at it until you get the look you like, then use it on your tail!

Mermaid Saphira
05-30-2012, 09:04 PM
ThanX for the help mers *hugz* :)

Shymer: It will be on neoprene ;)

AniaR
05-30-2012, 09:07 PM
it's screen printing ink :D

Mermaid Saphira
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM
^ Really?? Wow, I wouldn't have known that! I guess they could still be painted..it's definatley possible. I actually believe I saw someone paint them but who was it *scratches head*

Mermaid Annariea
05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
ive been curious about where she gets her paint...

Spindrift
05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
She used fabric paint for her earlier tails.

NerineArcticMermaid
05-31-2012, 02:57 AM
That would be me I made Hannah.tail just like that one :)

Mermaid Saphira
05-31-2012, 08:22 AM
^ I knew it was someone on this forum! You did a wonderful job :D

AniaR
05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I think screen printing ink is the best, it works a lot like paint, but it's not hardened like acrylic and it allows the fabric to still move and lets water still flow. It's the stuff that gets used on t-shirts and clothes designs. I actually have a whole kit here, I could do a tutorial sometime on how to use it. I took a workshop at the local art collage. The best screen printing ink I know of is speedball, it comes in a variety of colours. It can be bought at most art stores I believe and comes in big tubs. The trick to this type of ink is you dont need globs and globs. I think Hannah painted it by hand in order to achieve what she wanted, but I would suggest people practising on shirts for a little bit til they get the hang of it. Otherwise, doing it the traditional way with an actual stencil, putting the ink on the screen, and using the squeegy to remove excess ink really does give the best result. You could buy a kit and use the small screen it comes with and simply move the stencil a few times... or you could make a custom full size stencil. If you go the route of using the screen it's really the best if you can have another person holding the screen down for you while you apply the ink and move it around.

I feel like I went into a tutorial already haha ^.^; but I'm inspired! I'll have to dig my stuff out and take some photos of the process for people who want to try it. It's not TOO expensive, especially if you can get stuff on sale!

Spindrift
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Her tail did fade a lot though, and she had to do a lot of upkeep. I thought screen printing ink would be more durable than that, or maybe she used it way more than I'm aware of (probably). I think that is why she started with the sequins? Maybe? (Conjecturing here)

LindseyLu
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
She used a dry brush and silk screen ink for this tail. You can buy both at any Art Media and most craft stores :) But Spindrift is right (as usual ;)), it did fade after A LOT of use and have to be touched up quite a bit...so I guess you have to ask yourself if you'd be using your tail as much as Hannah does? If not, it would probably last you a pretty long time!

Spindrift
05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Haha. Thanks LindseyLu for the confidence booster <3
I just like being well researched so that there is a less chance of disappointment for everyone.

AniaR
05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
it probably depends on the type of ink too. I imagine it's similar to many washes of clothes, stuff fades over time.

meremily
05-31-2012, 09:55 PM
i did my tail in her honor and i made it all by myself with airbrushed paint car. it didnt come off in the water at all.

AniaR
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
wow! looks amazing

Mermaid Saphira
06-01-2012, 07:06 AM
i did my tail in her honor and i made it all by myself with airbrushed paint car. it didnt come off in the water at all.

This is the tail I was talking about! ThanQ for posting this meremily! I was talking about you! :)

Mermaid Saphira
06-02-2012, 01:38 PM
would you mers reccomend using nude colored or white wetsuit material??????

meremily
06-02-2012, 05:05 PM
your welcome Aqua!!! i used white neoprene then airbrushed it all blue for the base then did the scales

Mermaid Saphira
06-02-2012, 05:08 PM
^ ThanQ for your help, may I ask how you did the scales? did u use a template? If ur not comfortable answering it's okay ;)

meremily
06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
no its ok. whats a template? im french so i dont know all the meaning of the english words. but i took an image magnifier , i projected an image of hannah's tail on my tail on the wall , then i traced the scales and did a stencil with cardboard. then i airbrushed them carefully one by one. it was a huge job and my first job of airbrushing but im very happy of what i did! im not working on a silicone tail, im in the process of sculpting! glad i can help you!!!

NerineArcticMermaid
06-03-2012, 01:12 AM
I used white neoprene as well..but I hand painted mine while painting all the scales free hand

Mermaid Saphira
06-03-2012, 09:04 AM
^ O really? I was thinking about doing that, but the last time I freehanded something..I E6000 glued my self to fake seaweed XD

NerineArcticMermaid
06-03-2012, 11:43 AM
It took me over a month to paint both sides if the tail

Mermaid Saphira
06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
wow! Well, I got time to do that in the winter... XD snowstorms!!!!!

Mermaid Marina
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Hannah is so talented! Good luck with painting your tails! I am just starting my new project with neoprene, may I just ask what paint you are using? I was thinking of createx pearl paints, any advice? Xxx

Mermaid Saphira
06-03-2012, 05:43 PM
^ I, personaly, am either gonna use lumiere (fave), car paint or some fabric paint I found at my local craft store ;)

thelocalmermaid
06-06-2012, 03:39 AM
I've used both screen printing ink and createx paint.. and honestly, my opinion is that Createx paint works best... and it works best with an air brush! :)