PDA

View Full Version : Water Proofing Spray

APhishOutofWater
07-26-2011, 02:56 AM
I'll be starting my tail soon and I was wondering, could I use liquid latex to make the scale pattern on my tail, and spray over it with silicone water proofing spray to make it swimmable?

Capt Nemo
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
That will work to prevent some of the degradation of the latex by water. It will also help prevent the liquid latex from sticking to itself.

APhishOutofWater
07-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Will it last?

Capt Nemo
07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
It will have to be reapplied every so often.

meremily
07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
whats the name of the spray? i remember you posted a photo on the old site but cant seem to find it here

Blaze
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Also interested in the silicone spray too :)

OrcaMatt
08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
McNett Silicone Spray (http://www.mcnett.com/Silicone-Spray-Lubricant-Protectant-P255.aspx)

CoralMoonMermaid
08-03-2011, 02:17 AM
I would do a test peace first hun....cuz silicone is oil based....and oil and latex do not mix, my partner told me that the silicone will dissolve it it will make it sticky... and no on making it stick from itself, you have to use a powder to keep latex ooooorrrrr dragon skin (which is silicone) to keep it from sticking...

I would not spray all of that on your tail till you did a test peace, cuz if it dose counter act your tail is sol there is no fixing it, we ran into that when something that was oil based on a full body Predator that we were building and that part of it was toast... so just a heads up...

But let me know the out come!! I would like to know if it did or not...

meremily
08-03-2011, 11:51 PM
thanks coralmoon mermaid for all the help you give!!! ill let you know!!!

CoralMoonMermaid
08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
No problem

Blaze
09-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Question about the spray. Is this a one time application thing or will I need to re-apply after every use?

AniaR
09-20-2011, 09:58 AM
@Rose, they answered that one up top- it needs to be done often ;)

I have been looking everywhere for the spray but can't find it, will probably have to order online. Has anyone tested it out with swatches though? Because putting silicone on a latex tail was a pretty bad idea :P

Blaze
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Whoops, I see that now. Thanks! :D

I tested a swatch before I sprayed. Sprayed it on, let it dry completely (overnight) and it didn't do anything bad at all rather just conditioned like it said it would. It even says on the can that it's good for latex items so I think it's good!

Capt Nemo
09-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Silicone IS NOT OIL BASED!!!

It is silane (SiH4) based. Silane is the base that silicones are made from. Silicon can form just as many compounds as carbon, and a working human body could be made from silicon instead of carbon. (however, body temp would be 2-300 degrees or more)

The McNett silicone spray will NOT harm latex! We divers use it on latex drysuit seals to protect them, and also on rubber products like fins. Also, WET Platinium personal lubricant or similar will work too. Both are used on latex garments without problems. Any dive shop will have the spray.

The hardware store silicone sprays may contain petroleum oil mixes and will not be safe for latex. The McNett spray is FDA approved for use on food processing equipment. Most hardware store stuff isn't!

Mermaid Crystal
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Sometimes i may choke on pool water would it harm your body or you just let the spray dry and it does nothing:confused::confused::confused:

Marilla
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the link OrcaMatt! Looks like a must for getting in and out of tight fitting tails. I am so glad I learned about this product. :)