PDA

View Full Version : Monofin foot cramps?

halesloveswhales
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Okay so I got my Waterway monofin about a month ago, and I've been swimming with it a lot, but after 15 or 20 minutes of swimming with it on, my feet start to cramp up really bad. I have several theories as to why it might be:
1. Because the foot pockets are a little too small for my feet and are squeezing them.
2. Because I am just not used to the fin yet, and comfort comes with practice.
3. Because I am swimming wrong? When I swim with my whole body, it doesn't hurt as much, but when I kick from the waist or the knees is when it starts hurting more.
4. Because I am dehydrated or low on potassium? I've been trying to drink more water and eat more bananas :)
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that you grow out of as your feet get stronger? Help me!

AniaR
06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
it's a pretty normal issue, I actually talked to my doc about it and she gave me really great advice!!!

If you get a tennis ball and put it under the ball of your foot, then press down with a little pressure and roll it back and forth it will stretch those muscles for you. I did it every day for a while and it made a huge difference, now I just do it the day before, of, and after an event a few times. There's about a million and one reasons why you could be having foot cramps, but just from my discussion with my doc she thinks it's probably due to the fact for most monofins the part that supports your feet doesnt span the entire bottom of the foot but instead usually only goes half way or 3/4 way.

Anyway, try the ball trick out! works wonders!

LindseyLu
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM
My waterways monofin killed my feet the first few weeks. It's a very common issue with competitive fin swimmers as well. The foot pockets are suppose to fit really snug but if you think they are too tight and that's the main issue I would recommend wearing the monofin in the hot tub. It will help stretch the rubber to fit your feet better :) The tennis ball technique is a good one too, and make sure to massage your feet at night to get the blood flowing and loosen everything up. I also like to take a bottle of gatorade to the pool with me too for some extra electrolites (sp?)!

AniaR
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
yeah gatoraid is a good idea, i have had terrible charlie horse once in my tail, was awful LOL

Mermaid Saphira
06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I had this problem with my wave monofin, I massaged my feet a bit and it worked fine :)

Evangeline
06-01-2012, 08:33 PM
It is always important to stretch your feet before swimming. (I'm not sure if this is already said) Pull your foot back, and forth, and massage it really well. Hope that helped a little.

Mermaid Saphira
06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
^ I <3 ur picture and logo!!

halesloveswhales
06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh my goodness you all are marvelous! Thank you so much! :)

Evangeline
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Mine? Thanks! n.n tehe

Ally
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Eat banannas :) I get those when I play H2O Polo.