PDA

View Full Version : MerBella Studios Inc.

MermaidRaven
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
http://youtu.be/C2XEFgleYWc

http://www.facebook.com/MerBellaStudios
http://etsy.com/MerbellaStudios

<3
Mermaid Raven

Ayla of Duluth
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I love your tails so much. I'm doing everything I can to get enough for one before summer is over. :)
What monofin do you have in your flukes? They're too flowy to be competitors...

Mermaid Saphira
06-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Incredible video as well as incredible tails! Raven, you never seiz to amaze me! (my apologize if I spelt that wrong XD)

Ayla of Duluth
06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
cease ;)

Mermaid Saphira
06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
^ LOL thanQ WaterWolf!!!!!!

AniaR
06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
<3 *so proud*

Demi
06-04-2012, 05:46 AM
oh my.. your tails... they are so beautiful! <3 I wish i had the money to buy one, but im just a poor student x) im gonna save my money the next couple of years to get one of those tails.. *dies over the tails beauty*

Mermaid Marissa
06-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I love everything in your store hahaha :D (makes it her soul purpose to get a top and tail from Raven!) I will start saving..........NOW!

Kanti
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Lovely!
I think I saw like 3 different tails in that video? They all looked very nice! Great coloring jobs!!
You sure know your way around an airbrush (assuming that's what you used haha)

I did find it a bit awkward when everyone started feeling up that white/blue mermaid tail, though lol

Mermaid Jewel
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Ahhh I really really want a Raven tail D: Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous work! :)

MermaidRaven
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone! It has been quite a process getting this new company off the ground but we are really excited.

Kanti: I actually hand paint all of the tails, I only use the airbrush for the "spots". I really love Hand painting them, its a bit more challenging to blend the colors but I prefer it because I just think it helps me improve as an artist:)

I also wanted to just quickly point out that the tail Meshpa is wearing in this video is our newest design, its only $1,000. Tyler and I have been working really hard to make a more affordable silicone tail available.

You can see a little more oh that tail in this video..

http://youtu.be/S_lQOO8nyOY

Kanti
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Wow excellent job! The blending is very impressive hence why I assumed it was airbrushed.
I also love Meshpa's tail in that video. The dots really add character to it~ May I ask why it's only $1,000?
Looks just as nice as the other ones.

MermaidRaven
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
That was my idea, to make them look similar!

Its actually lined with neoprene, so I save a LOT of materials that way not having to cast it so thick for the body part of the tail, also being Neorpene lined I'm able to put in a cheaper monofin like a wave or rapid instead of the competitor (all my tails that I perform in have a finis foil in them because the competitor does not work well in our tank which is wear I do most of my performing so they look very floppy or flowy)
The Fluke also has a different texture, which uses less silicone.
I seam and paint them the same way I paint the other tails so they do look very similar.

The neoprene does make the tail buoyant unlike the full silicone tails which are VERY neutrally buoyant and this tail does have a little drag but as you can see in the video meshpa is able to move pretty well in it :)

Kanti
06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Yea, I didn't notice a difference! They all look great.
That price change will certainly be enough to help people buy a tail, too!
I'm sure the neoprene is a bit refreshing too. I always hear that silicone tails don't let much water
in them so things get a bit warm after a while xD

AniaR
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
in them so things get a bit warm after a while xD

oh God yes... LOL how many times I have worn my tail for a dry event only to take it off and have soaked legs XD it's nuts.

I am so happy you're able to offer this design Raven, I wouldnt choose it for myself because I think neoprene makes it too hard for me to swim. I am floaty enough as is, lol I need ma silicone to help me stay under ^_^ but it's perfect for people who want the same look as a silicone but dont have the budget, or perhaps dont want something as heavy as the full silicone.

Also, I bet it's easier for travel since the competitor fin makes it impossible to fit in anything haha XD smaller monofins= bonus that way.

Eeee I am just so excited for you and so happy I got to be the test subject <3

Mermaid Saphira
06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
$1,000 for a silicone? Well if that isn't a deal :D

Ayla of Duluth
06-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Raven, will you still be offering your full silicone tails? I love how you've been trying to make the tails more affordable, but I like the idea of not having neoprene against my skin, and if you still offered your 3k tails, i would purchase one the instant my savings got there. :) beautiful tails, I love the flowy fluke.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
These are looking lovely Raven! Your painting skills are phenomenal by the way.

ShyMer
06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I really like the look of the Foil in a tail. The floppiness is fantastic <3

Sea Pearl
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
These tails are amazing! Would love to have one of your tails someday.

Nemefish
06-05-2012, 02:37 AM
OH MY NEPTUNE! those are soooooo amazing, love your work seriously!!!!!!!!!!!! XD :yay:

Ilonka
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Beautiful, you really are an inspiration to all of us. I'm moving to FL soon and I would love to meet you and have a swim. I'm dying to have a photoshoot in FLa springs, the water is so clear. I miss it!

AniaR
06-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I got to photoshoot Raven twice when I was in Florida, once I was with her and I basically walked my bf through how to use the camera so we could have shots together, and once I shot her and Meshpa in their tank. Im a prof mermaid and even I was like a kid when I went up to their tank. Haha these women rock at what they do and I am beyond thrilled to see more mermaids being added to their group

Ilonka
06-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I need to hunt down an underwater photographer in FL, its hard because its such a rare art not allot of people do it. I live on a tropical island and I only know one guy who does that kind of photography. Iv always wanted a group underwater shoot, I think it would be awesome.

Kanti
06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
That does sound like a lot of fun o_o

New York Mermaid
06-08-2012, 12:37 AM
well raven it looks like you may have me as a customer in the near future.

New York Mermaid
06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry bout the Double post but If i was to send you a Monofin to put in the $1,000 tail would it continue to be same price or alittle cheaper.?

DoubleOSix
06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I am most definatly getting one! My goal is to have one by next summer!

Ayla of Duluth
06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Sorry bout the Double post but If i was to send you a Monofin to put in the $1,000 tail would it continue to be same price or alittle cheaper.?
That's my question too. I found a monofin shaped like the competitor without the foot pocket ridges and I was wondering if I sent it to her if she'd put that in the tail instead of a competitor or one of the smaller ones.

MermaidRaven
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
For the Performance tails, I can put any Competitor like monofin inside, Ive seen some of these other monofins and have been wanting to see how well they swim:) I can also put a Foil in the performance tails but I also have to do extra work to the fluke in order to get the look I like. This is what all the tails I perform in have. I charge the same for this option because altho its a cheaper monofin its a lot more work to install it.

Id be happy to subtract the price of the competitor to the tail if you provide one for me and it is one I am able to install into the performance tail:)
In the $1,000 model I only use a wave monofin. But because they are neoprene lined I can customize the fluke silhouette/shape to fit any monofin you would like to provide. So same thing there.

Hope that helps!

Ayla of Duluth
06-11-2012, 05:19 AM
You're nothing short of the best! Thanks :)

Aradia
06-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Raven I have a couple questions about the difference between tails... with the neoprene, does it have a tendency to strech out? I hear thats a common problem with Mertailor tails and i'm curious whether you've found a solution or if its to be expected. Also, what is the strech factor on the silicone tails? Also, if weights fluctuate is there a way to tighten up tails?

Love your work <3

AniaR
06-11-2012, 09:17 AM
with the neoprene, does it have a tendency to strech out? I hear thats a common problem with Mertailor tails and i'm curious whether you've found a solution or if its to be expected. Also, what is the strech factor on the silicone tails? Also, if weights fluctuate is there a way to tighten up tails?

oh oh oh! Pick me! *waves hand* the mertailor ones that stretch out I believe are the latex one, Im assuming since these are silicone they'd move with the neoprene. As far as stretch factor, It's really good in silicone tails, so if your weight goes up it can accommodate it, if weight goes down a little (like it did with me) I find wearing tights inside the tail helps that, if it goes down drastically (because I already asked Raven) I know she can take it in! Im sure Raven will answer too but I wanted to give some input since I own one of hers :p

Aradia
06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks Raina, I didn't even consider tights and stuff!

Mermaid Rillia
06-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Tail fund might be spent even sooner now. yayy:)

SeaVixen
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
I can't wait to get the money for the $3000 tail! I already have the money for this cheaper alternative to the pure silicone but I would like the pure silicone tail instead. I'm not a fan of neoprene either since it is floaty and absorbs water like crazy! My current tail has neoprene lining and it takes several days to completely dry. I said to myself if I'm buying another tail I'm getting my dream tail! My dream tail is pure silicone with the flowy/floppy fluke. Amazing how you managed to master hiding the monofin perfectly even though its smaller than the competitor in the pure silicone flukes! Can't even tell there's anything even in there!! Fooled me. Great work as always and wonderful works of art! You will go far with this for sure

**EDIT: My tail actually isn't neoprene lined. It's some fake kind of foam stuff. He advertises neoprene and doesn't even use it! I had never seen neoprene before I got my tail so I didn't know until my mom got a neoprene wetsuit and compared it. NOTHING like it!!

SeaVixen
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
That is so great!! Sounds like what I would do if I got lucky enough to meet them. I would go from my 20s to 9 all over again lol. I hope to meet them one day!

AniaR
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I love my silicone tail, I can dry it with a towel and it's done lol

SeaVixen
06-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I will be glad when I can just towel dry mine!

Mizuko
06-17-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm saving up for one of these beautiful tails! <3 Hopefully I can place an order by August ^___^ I am so excited!! <3

AniaR
06-17-2012, 10:17 AM
**EDIT: My tail actually isn't neoprene lined. It's some fake kind of foam stuff. He advertises neoprene and doesn't even use it! I had never seen neoprene before I got my tail so I didn't know until my mom got a neoprene wetsuit and compared it. NOTHING like it!!

Yeah he uses neoprin which is a cheaper alternative to neoprene and basically feels like a burlap sack It also NEVER stops stretching, and is super bouyant. I cant believe he's still using these crappy materials.

Mermaid Karin
06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah he uses neoprin which is a cheaper alternative to neoprene and basically feels like a burlap sack It also NEVER stops stretching, and is super bouyant. I cant believe he's still using these crappy materials.

It even states on the discription of the tail that it's Neoprin. I used to looovee the Mertailor, but I heard too many complaints. I know that his latex/neoprin tails are horrible, but I dunno about the silicone tails he makes. Oh well. Either way, I had a change of heart when found Raven's tails. <3 :$ So flowy in zee water. I still admire the color schemes on Mertailor's tails though. But Raven is my #1 :D She seems to understand how everything works. No one understands a mermaid, like another mermaid. <3

Kanti
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Well Mertailor DOES use Dragonskin on his silicone tails, or at least I think so, because one of
his photos showed a picture of a couple gallons of Dragonskin in his garage xD
Unless he just likes to keep them around and sniff them or something.

AniaR
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
He cuts his dragonskin to make it last longer, that;s why his silicone tails smell so strong. At least, that's what I've been told by silicone tail owners. My silicone tail is made with the same stuff but isnt cut with anything else, and never smelled in the slightest

Kanti
06-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I've never read any complaints about his silicone tails, especially not in the smell department.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with latex?
He wouldn't really be able to "cut" Dragonskin with anything without messing up the curing process.
Even adding something as insignificant as water to Dragonskin messes with it's final properties.
And the only thing he'd be able to use would be more silicone (tin cure) and that would no longer make
the tails skin-safe.

I highly doubt he cuts his Dragonskin with anything.

AniaR
06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I've never read any complaints about his silicone tails, especially not in the smell department.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with latex?

Just email some people who have them and you'll see- they've all told me there is a smell. Also, he himself in videos talks about the 'smell' and so has melissa. The person who told me he cut them, was also someone who helped him make them- obviously I dont know from personal experience but if you're right about it messing it up that would explain a lot of the issues with a certain purple tail. I wouldnt be surprised if the latex was cut with something too, though the consensus seems to be that it's just the smell that happens when not cured.

Also, didnt mean for this to turn back and forth into a mertailor thread XD if an admin wants to move the mertailor posts to his part of the forum that's fine.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-17-2012, 10:53 PM
And the only thing he'd be able to use would be more silicone (tin cure) and that would no longer make
the tails skin-safe.

You cannot cure platinum silicone with tin cure. The tin cure would inhibit the platinum curing process, just like sulphur and latex.

Nemefish
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Beautiful, you really are an inspiration to all of us. I'm moving to FL soon and I would love to meet you and have a swim. I'm dying to have a photoshoot in FLa springs, the water is so clear. I miss it!

haha im hoping to move to florida this year! maybe we can all meet and talk while we swim :D i totally want to heart about my home island ilonka :3 <3 i miss it so much ^.^ <3 and i totally want a tour of florida raven <3 luvs yas guys :D

Kanti
06-17-2012, 11:04 PM
@Lorelei - Ahh then that makes it even less likely in my opinion o_o

I dunno, either way I still doubt he cuts it with anything. Sounds like something that has little backing
and not a rumor I'd ever care to spread o_o

Either way, it's nice Raven's starting the $1k tails that have neoprene in them. That provides a nice
alternative for people who want the silicone but don't have the cash :x

Mermaid Rillia
06-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Ohhh Nemefish when are you moving to florida and what part? :) Same for you Ilonka. We should all totally meet up

And i too think its amazing that Raven has made an alternative silicone tail. My only concern is that in the picture i saw the monofin was clearly defined. It really might have just been the glare though. Seriously though, Raven, you are total awesomeness!:)

Mermaid Karin
06-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Well Mertailor DOES use Dragonskin on his silicone tails, or at least I think so, because one of
his photos showed a picture of a couple gallons of Dragonskin in his garage xD
Unless he just likes to keep them around and sniff them or something.

Yeah, I saw that. I had asked how much silicone he uses per-tail, but i never got an answer. D: </3 oh well.

And yeah, about the smell thing. Do you think all silicone tails kinda smell? I know probably some more than others, I wonder how long it takes for the smell to go away. xD

Mermaid Lorelei
06-18-2012, 03:00 AM
Having personally used dragonskin silicone in large amounts, it shouldn't smell noticeably. There is only the slightest smell and you seriously have to stick your nose on the stuff to smell it.

Kanti
06-18-2012, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I saw that. I had asked how much silicone he uses per-tail, but i never got an answer. D: </3 oh well.

And yeah, about the smell thing. Do you think all silicone tails kinda smell? I know probably some more than others, I wonder how long it takes for the smell to go away. xD

Like Lorelei said, Dragonskin isn't supposed to smell like anything. If there is a smell, it's possible that
it may be coming from something other than the actual silicone. Some lubricants smell funny, as do some
paints. I actually have a mask I make that once it's done, the paint makes it smell like a fortune cookie xD
Either way, it could be multiple things and depending it may take a couple days to a week or two for the
smell to go away.

And yea, he probably isn't going to tell people much about his tails. People tend to get secretive when
it comes to that sort of stuff for whatever reason lol :'P

Kanti
06-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Ohhh Nemefish when are you moving to florida and what part? :) Same for you Ilonka. We should all totally meet up

And i too think its amazing that Raven has made an alternative silicone tail. My only concern is that in the picture i saw the monofin was clearly defined. It really might have just been the glare though. Seriously though, Raven, you are total awesomeness!:)

Yea for real what's with all these people going to Florida!
It's so hot over here you all might regret it xD

We should have a meetup really bad x_x
Maybe that merpalooza thing?? O:

Ilonka
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm going to Bradenton first and then I'm moving to Orlando to study special FX makeup. It would be awesome to have a meeting, maybe next summer? And yeah FL is hot but I think its hotter here in Puerto Rico LOL at least there is a "winter" in FL!

AniaR
06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
And yeah, about the smell thing. Do you think all silicone tails kinda smell? I know probably some more than others, I wonder how long it takes for the smell to go away.

My tail never had any smell ever, at all, which I am incredibly thankful for because I have environmental illness and cant handle any offgassing. Anyway they DO talk about the smell in a video of him and melissa, one where he's like using sinurinse in the video. I remember because another member of the forum brought it up to me and asked me before I got my new tail if I'd be able to handle the smell. Melissa says something like "the smell of silicone in the room" from all the tails.

lol and Florida winter is about as hot as it actually gets here. lol >.>

Mermaid Bella
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
ohhhh i wonder how much one would cost to ship here... mwahahahahahahahaha

Mermaid Rillia
06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Yea for real what's with all these people going to Florida!
It's so hot over here you all might regret it xD

We should have a meetup really bad x_x
Maybe that merpalooza thing?? O:

Ohh Kanti Thats a great idea. I second that! :)

Mermaid Rillia
06-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm going to Bradenton first and then I'm moving to Orlando to study special FX makeup. It would be awesome to have a meeting, maybe next summer? And yeah FL is hot but I think its hotter here in Puerto Rico LOL at least there is a "winter" in FL!

Cool Bradentron is just a bit away from me. And moving to orlando sounds fun.

Ilonka
06-18-2012, 06:52 PM
My latex tail smells like condoms lololol

Mermaid Lira
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Your tails are so wonderful ! You're my mer-model, I couldn't make my own tail without you (even if you never helped me directly ^^)

Mermaid Karin
06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Im so glad silicone doesn't really smell. :D When I get a tail, I wont have to worry about people wanting to throw my tail out now. xD Ahh~ I was thinking of making things with silicone tbh.. So thanks you guys for answering my question! :3 <3