PDA

View Full Version : Monofin Footpocket PAIN

shanejvv
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey Mermaids and Mermen,

I have been using a monofin from Finis (a trainer 1 I think) for almost half a year now.

Recently I have started developing a lump on top of my left foot, I think its on the Cuneiform Bone. Its seriously painful and subsides somewhat when I lay off of swimming for a few days but is inflamed again within another two to three days.

I swim a kilometer or more 5 days a week and have developed a serious love of swimming with a monofin, I am fitter and also I have lost a lot of weight and developed good muscle tone. To stop now would cause me a serious meltdown and my family would just hate that.

The water that I swim in is 15 deg Celsius (or less) so after I have "warmed up" the cold causes the pain to not be as apparent.

Any ideas? I was even thinking of cutting a hole where the pressure point is, but that would ruin the value of the fin should I want to upgrade.

Painfully yours.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
You might have outgrown the monofin. Perhaps the footpockets are too small for your feet now and that would most certainly cause pressure and pain on the tops of your feet.

AniaR
06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
go to the doctor!!! lol dont post on here, go to the doctor and make sure it's not a cist, or a calcium buildup or something else!!! From the description it sounds more like a health issue than a monofin one, Id get your feet checked first before anything else. I used to get huge lumps on the front of my shins and it turned out it was from the heeled shoes I was wearing for work and once the doc told me that and I stopped wearing them the lumps never came back

LindseyLu
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I have that on my left foot too. Although, mine doesn't hurt, so I have never taken the time to see a doctor about it. And just like you, I mostly have it when I use my monofin a lot. I also noticed a pair of my sandals cause it to enlarge a little as well, because they rub it and put pressure directly on it (hmmmm, just like a monofin eh?). If yours is painful though, I'm with Raina...go see a doctor stat! And then let me know what he says, k? LOL, kidding of course! :)

Theta
06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
You should totally go to the doctor before anything else, and see if it's a health issue.

That being said:

As an ex-dancer and figure skater, I've found that tails and monofins are a lot like skates and pointe shoes. They're made on a pattern while your feet are individual, and as such need to be broken in and tailored to yourself a little bit. I actually cut a little bit off the top of my monofin foot pockets where they didn't fit my feet quite right, so don't feel bad about cutting away portions you need to to make it work for you. Others have removed the straps completely because they were uncomfortable. It might downgrade the worth of your tail a bit, but how much is the tail worth to you if it's painful to swim in? Also, most tails don't really maintain much value, as they gain wear and tear when you swim in them. For instance, I paid $600 for my mertailor tail, but if I was to sell it now it would only be worth a couple of hundred dollars with all the wear and tear that's in it.

shanejvv
06-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I have a compression sock on today and can feel that the lump has subsided radically. Will more than likely refer to professional medical opinion though. I suspect that the cause is not so much the dolphin-style kick but rather the modified breast-stroke kick that I do when I do surface work.

Will let anybody that is interested know what the outcome is.