PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Vyrel
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
So I was surfing the web....

Hey everyone! My name is James. I am 25, married, father of one...cat (Pisces), Mer-enthusiast, and all around fintastic guy! I am a costume designer for one of the largest/oldest theatres in Kansas. Oh did I mention I am terrible at introductions?

I have loved mer-everything since I was 6! You see when my father refused to let my birthday party be Little Mermaid themed...I refused to go! :lol: When I was a bit older my brother and I would see who could swim out into the ocean the farthest without getting eaten by a shark or drown! I have always had the urge to be in water. I can't explain why I am pulled into the water...it just feels like home. You probably hear that all the time...but I honestly love everything about the water!

I recently purchased my first tail and I am working on the beginning stages of my second tail. Sadly my first tail (from Mertailor) was a little less then astounding! After spending a bit of extra money to have it tailored and buying paint...not sure what colors I want just yet....since my colors are rubbing off within the first 5 days of owning it!?!

Anywho there you have it...if you have any questions or would like to know more about my tail experiences...just hit me with your best shot! lol

AniaR
06-05-2012, 09:02 PM
welcome James! So nice to have another guy here, welcome to the forum. I too had really bad mertailor problems and while some people have had some good ones, others have had similar ones like you're experiencing too. We can PM about it if you like! A few tips for you though, getting a heat gun will really help the paint stay longer. I find if paint is on top of latex it doesn't matter how well done it's painted and how careful you are, it'll rub off :( The trick is for the paint to be mixed in with the latex so the latex itself is coloured. Unfortunately I dont know what mertailor is using for his latex, he used to use something called alex plus that people would use for fixing up their tails and mixing the paint. Im glad you were able to get it taken in though! Thank goodness! it did look great in your photo, those are my favourite colours for a tail :D

So glad to add another guy to the forum :D we have quite a few but still a lot less compared to us gals >.>

Kanti
06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
You seem like a very enthusiastic guy~
Welcome James!
As for your tail, sorry for the unlucky experience. However, we have lots of info on here that you
can use at your disposal to help fix your tail up and make it nice and pretty~ !
I myself have a caulk"latex" tail and I know how frustrating it is when the paint rubs off @_@

Vyrel
06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks for the warm welcome! I dont want to make it seem like I am ungrateful to Eric for what he has made for me. I just feel that when you spend that amount of money...customer care needs to be top priority. Long story short I waited 18ish weeks for my tail, it has different paint on the fin from touching other tails, and it was so loose that I swam out of it! I think I am going to try my hand at molding and casting...and I have something in the works for helping dry my tail!

Orion
06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome, i just joined up this morning as well, maybe this influx is a sign of things to come. I sure hope so, the species can hardly survive with this ratio, less we give into promiscuity. ;)

Sea Pearl
06-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Hello and welcome James! Hope you enjoy your time here at mernetwork :) That's so awesome you're a costume designer!

Mermaid Sirena
06-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Hello and welcome & all that jazz ^_^ Sorry about your tail :( How long have you been a costume designer?

Nyx
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you can fix your tail to be exactly how you want it to be!

Vyrel
06-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I have been a costume designer since 19. I started doing it when I was doing drag performances...and a gurl can't just buy off the rack! lol It has slowly turned into a career, I am 25 now so about 4-5 years. I took a year break to WWOOF around the country. Thankfully one of my really good friends acquired The Crown Uptown Dinner Theatre here in Kansas and offered my best friend and I the job of designing costumes! I am more of the visual and Joni is the seamstress!

My tail is being tailored today...I pick it up tomorrow! I think I will paint it sometime within the next month...I have to decide what I want to paint it...I am thinking something around the Man of War colors...

Mermaid Sirena
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Man of War's are really pretty jellies :) Oh that's so awesome! We might have to talk some time I have a friend who is really interested in doing such things but is rather scared and unsure where to start on looking like a woman.

Vyrel
06-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Practice practice and more practice! And the Golden rule that my drag momma taught me...."It's only makeup and make believe...don't take it too serious!"

AniaR
06-06-2012, 06:07 PM
you sound super cool! Another member of the community (Claudio) has done drag and is really getting into some costuming, you guys should toss ideas around. Also, I'd love to see a drag pic sometime :D We have a couple drag stars in my community and they blow me away. Im like, TEACH ME DO TO MAKEUP THAT GOOD PLZ K THX lol <3

Vyrel
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Everyday lad

Cindi Maeweather

AniaR
06-06-2012, 07:17 PM
umm cindy is gorg! Love the blond on you ;) thanks for sharing <3

Vyrel
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
thanks....I will be buying her a tail of her own....soon!

Spindrift
06-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Cindy looks amazing and really cool. Can't wait to see her in a tail!