PDA

View Full Version : Mertailor Review

leeloo
06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Customer Service: I first ordered my Mertailor realistic latex tail on January 6, 2012. I requested an update on my tail and on February 24 Eric told me it would be shipped out by the end of the next week. I was so excited to get my tail. In March I was told that my tail was being “painted and is being completed this week. Should be sent out Friday, March 16, 2012. If not this date, for sure Monday, March 19th 2012.” He said his father just came home from a nursing home so I gave him the benefit of the doubt; family is very important and I completely understood that. I never heard about it being shipped so I sent another e-mail, and was told the monofin was being put in that day and that “That is the LAST part to this whole process.” Another week later I ask for another update, and he says he will get in touch with me the next day (he didn’t). Tired of no response and continuous delays I write him another e-mail April 10th, over 13 weeks since my order. At the time his website said production time takes 5-10 weeks, but I noticed it now says 6-12. In this e-mail I told him I would have to contact the Better Business Bureau if we couldn’t resolve this issue. He responded the same day. He then told me, “I have been waiting to receive a final piece of product to finish your tail, which I now have. The tail will be shipped out by the end of this week.” I was confused what piece he could have been waiting for since he told me March 21 he was putting in the monofin (last part of the process). The tail was not shipped out by the end of the week, so I filed a complaint with the BBB. It finally shipped on April 24th, over 15 weeks after I ordered it.

Tail:
Despite all the problems I had dealing with him, I was still very excited to get my tail. There were some paint splatters and writing on the inside lining of the tail, but I didn’t care because I knew it wouldn’t show.

At first I was worried about squeezing into it, but I soon discovered the waist and hip areas were a little loose. It didn’t seem too bad at first, at least not dry. As soon as I took it for my first swim, however, I noticed just how baggy it was. I believe that the water filled up my fluke which created drag and slowed me down. I also had to keep pulling it up to keep my butt from showing. I do wear swim bottoms but they tend to ride down with my tail on while swimming. Despite the drag, I found I do swim much faster with the tail than without. Whenever I try to swim without it now I feel like I’m not going anywhere! After only one or two uses I noticed the paint starting to flake off, especially in the heels.

It is partially my fault for the heels anyway because I did touch the bottom with my feet a couple of times. It still came off too easy though in my opinion. There are also random areas where paint is coming off as well. There are also areas where the paint just looks goopy.

Speaking of paint, my tail is two different colors. Similar, but not the same. One side is more purple, the other is more blue. I also just noticed the scales aren’t even facing the same way on both sides. One side the scales are more horizontal, and the other side they are more vertical.

Response: I sent an e-mail to Eric about the paint and sizing issue. He offered to send me some paint but has not contacted me since. He said I could send the tail back to him to resize, or I could find a tailor to do it or do it myself. The shipping will probably cost as much as a tailor would charge, plus I don’t want my tail to be sitting there not getting fixed for however long.

Bottom Line: I still enjoy my tail, and people at my apartment complex seem to think it is pretty cool. Had I known that I would have had all these issues, I might not have purchased this tail. One of the main things that drew me to the Mertailor was the price. Still pricey for me, but I wanted a “realistic tail” that I could afford. Next time I will save up some more money and get a better quality tail and order from someone with much better customer service.

AniaR
06-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi Leeloo, thanks for writing a review,sorry you've had so many troubles. We've been trying to get people to write in the new review system, but I see when following the links it looks like they should be put here >.< the link for the actual review space is reallllly small font. Have to talk to a mod about that lol. Anywho, if you wouldn't mind going to this link http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1227-Mertailor and clicking the spot on the right that says "write your own" could you copy it there? (with pics too if you can) the community started it to have one specific spot for review, and people can't actually comment on them (to avoid drama) just your post. But thanks again for taking the time! <3

Kanti
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
For some reason the review pages are a bit messed up
I can't read most of them

AniaR
06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
hmmm it should work now, I know Nate had to fix it, so Kanti when you click here http://mernetwork.com/index/productforums.php?do=matches&productid=11 do you not see the two existing reviews? (scroll down after you click on one)

Kanti
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Bahahah I didn't scroll down.
Ok it works xD

AniaR
06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
it's okay it's confusing because it shows the same thing at the top, hopefully Nate can improve it :)

~Molly~
06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
the forum reads fine for me.
Leeloo--that just STINKS about your tail. not sure what i would do if it were me. then again mertailor lives 1hr away from me. i could overlook the paint coming off, inside of the tail, goop around fluke...but the half purple/half blue & with different scales??? i dunno.... seems unprofessional that he would send it out like that.

& just FYI, i can tell you that i had contacted him may 18 about inquiring about a tail, he responed back the same day (impressive!). i then asked another question and have heard nothing back from him. IMO he dropped the ball on a poss sale. this is the second time he has done that to me.
moving on...
now i found "you guys!!!" :) so i don't have to worry about that! :)

leeloo
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I just posted it to the other area, but I can't see my review. Also I didn't see a way I could post pictures.

AniaR
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
it shows up for me :D http://mernetwork.com/index/productforums.php?do=matches&productid=11 thanks for reposting. Not sure about the picture stuff I'll have to ask Nate.

edit: oh when I click on it it doesnt show up I see what you mean. Maybe Nate has to approve them? I'll PM him

Blondie
06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't understand how he still manages to put his products out like this .-. It's been a long time since I've seen a decent review of him... I'm sorry :(

AniaR
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I personally feel that if the person is high profile they'll get a descent tail. But yeah, ive read a lot of bad stuff lately too and I thought he switched to pigmenting his latex and using real latex but from some recent complaints it doesnt seem that way. Oh well, lots of more new tail makers busting out onto the scene!

Vyrel
06-07-2012, 02:18 AM
I can't seem to read any more then the first 2....maybe it is my cruddy Toshiba laptop!

AniaR
06-07-2012, 06:42 AM
I can't seem to read any more then the first 2....maybe it is my cruddy Toshiba laptop!
nope that seems to be the issue, so I sent a mod a PM about it :)

Mermaid Lorelei
06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I think one of the mods has to accept the review before it can be seen by everyone.

AniaR
06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I think one of the mods has to accept the review before it can be seen by everyone. confirmed, I emailed Nate about it. He's not sure why it's like that either since he turned that part off. He's also looking into why pics cant be posted. I also noticed mertailor made yet another comment about paint coming off (saw it when I looked up the glades thing from the other thread). This bothers me, everyone who's posted about latex tails recently talks about the paint coming off, I dont understand why he doesn't pigment the latex? We already know acrylic based paints chip, rub off, with very easy stuff. Is that not something that's possible? My silicone is pigmented and paint is one thing I do NOT ever have to worry about, I put that paint through hell without any issues. It just seems like such an easy fix to me maybe I am ignorant, why end up with so many negative comments if it could be fixed with pigmenting @_@

leeloo
06-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Yea, I saw that comment too. I even acknowledged in my review it was partially my fault, especially the heels. But the one picture you can tell the paint is fading on the front of my tail, and I am obviously not rubbing my belly against the side of the pool! I also don't understand why he doesn't just pigment it, I would think it would be easier too. I can kind of understand for tails where he uses multiple colors because it seems like it would be difficult to pigment multiple colors in one tail. However, I would think you could at least have a base color in the pigment and then paint over it again if needed. For tails like mine where it is one solid color it seems to me it would just be easier and make his customers so much happier with his product if he just pigmented it.

Also the longer I have my tail the more I am disappointed in it. I didn't even notice the two different colors at first but since I've figured it out it has been driving me crazy. I really don't want to have to send it back to him though and pay for shipping plus have it gone for who knows how long. I wish I had a lot of money so I could just experiment making my own tail, but unfortunately I don't. :(

malinghi
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I think one of the mods has to accept the review before it can be seen by everyone.

confirmed, I emailed Nate about it. He's not sure why it's like that either since he turned that part off. He's also looking into why pics cant be posted.

Thanks for reposting that info here. Sorry for the bug, hopefully I'll get it sorted out, but for the time being I have to approve each review. I can't figure out how to set it to post without approval. If I miss the review, feel free to send me an email or a message to remind me.

AniaR
06-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Im sorry :(

Winged Mermaid
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Good news! The reviews how have the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor! I wasn't sure if users have the option of editing their own reviews so I went in and put the pictures in for you :) Thank you for taking the time to write the review and to put it into the new system!

leeloo
06-10-2012, 05:16 AM
I went and bought some paint the other day to retouch my tail, and I think I know exactly what happened as far as the two paint colors go. There is a Pearlescent Plum color and Pearlescent Purple. I think he either didn't realize they were two different colors or forgot, but I am pretty sure those are the two colors he used. It's weird though because I don't see Pearlescent Plum on the Createx website anymore, but I see it on some vendor sites and in the store I bought my paint. Maybe they discontinued that color or something. And thank you winged mermaid for putting the pictures in my review for me!

Mermaid Karin
06-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Also the longer I have my tail the more I am disappointed in it. I didn't even notice the two different colors at first but since I've figured it out it has been driving me crazy. I really don't want to have to send it back to him though and pay for shipping plus have it gone for who knows how long. I wish I had a lot of money so I could just experiment making my own tail, but unfortunately I don't. :(

Ever though of repainting the thing yourself? You can do it however you want :D Its worth a shot. I think it would be better than to have a two different colored tail. ><

SeaVixen
06-18-2012, 04:47 AM
I have the same issues as far as paint. It fades in the weirdest places like my lap and top of fluke. I don't rub those parts of the tail anywhere so paint shouldn't be phased. I should probably look for paint. Ridiculous because I shouldn't have to do that

Kanti
06-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Yea it sucks that a product isn't just FINISHED for good when you get it.
It's very odd that the paint doesn't stick so well in certain places.
To me, that seems like that area of the tail was fully cured before it was painted.
Often when certain materials cure completely, nothing can really stick to them.

Mermaid Karin
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I have the same issues as far as paint. It fades in the weirdest places like my lap and top of fluke. I don't rub those parts of the tail anywhere so paint shouldn't be phased. I should probably look for paint. Ridiculous because I shouldn't have to do that

I agree. :/ I think you should have gotten what you asked for, but at the same time I find this a good opportunity to improve your artistic skills :D Idk what paint would stay on, unless you buy some silicone and go over it with that after you paint it. D: I wish I could be of more help. -hugs-

Mermaid Star
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
You can mix the alex with the paint and then paint it on to get it to stick... but createx (which is what he used to use) does not let anything stick to it after it is painted. You would have to get Createx paint it and heat set it with a heat gun. (It is possible that the paint wasn't heat set enough and that may be a reason why the paint comes off so easily.

AniaR
06-18-2012, 10:45 PM
it looks like from his page eric wont be making latex anymore, and going back to actual neoprene. Also looks like he's been reading an awful lot of these threads ;)

merpirate
06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
where it saythat

Mermaid Star
06-19-2012, 12:16 AM
It says on his page that he will be doing neoprene and "Silicone rubber" (read Silicone Caulk) tails rather than Latex (read alex plus) tails. Same process, same look, a dollar more a tube for the silicone rubber product

AniaR
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
and selling for less than other people are for silicone +neoprene as well... I've noticed a lot more video and photos surfacing too that show that many of the flukes aren't stiff (like they appear so often) and wrinkling etc in videos.

As of June 17th, 2012, The Mertailor no longer offers a "Latex" Realistic Mermaid Tail. This product has been REPLACED with our new and improved "Neoprene" Realistic Mermaid Tail. This tail is made from silicone and neoprene materials and is currently available for the price $600. Get it now while the price is right! We will no longer be selling latex products. It is silicone all the way! All previous orders will be made using the original technique. Please keep in mind, this product is not recommended for professional performers or production companies. This product is intended for beginner mermaids! If you are a professional, please purchase one of our full silicone mermaid tails today!

I always find it really sucks for people to have the product changed, the price changed, or the "wait time" changed WHILE they're waiting for their tail. If tail makers are going to make changes like that they should take a break between orders, not do them while in the middle of them. people aren't going to know what they're going to get or when.

Kanti
06-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, and people complained about the smell of Alex plus? Silicone caulking smells AWFUL!
Was it also necessary for him to say it's a new product? It's essentially the same thing xD

Nice way to charge an extra $100, though :/
Claim it's different.

Mermaid Karin
06-21-2012, 07:40 PM
$100 more.. the only thing that I think would be a real difference is the price. >>

Ilonka
06-22-2012, 02:09 AM
His tails look mad pretty in his photos but when i see people's tails on here that are made by him they look dissapointing... Personally, i would never buy from him nor recomend him, plus he's mad rude!