PDA

View Full Version : A rose by any other name...

Blaze
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Lookit me being all poetic. :rolleyes:

So I've been kicking around the idea of coming up with a mermaid name & I haven't had much luck at brainstorming. I'd like to have it separate from my belly dance & burlesque name (Blaze) but something related to fire/flames as well as the water. I'm also very fond of roses though (red ones rather than 'rose' as in the color pink) so I'm being wishy-washy. :D

Thoughts? What did you all do to come up with yours or am I trying too hard?

AniaR
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I think Mermaid Rose would actually be cool...

Blaze
07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I think Mermaid Rose would actually be cool...

Heh I was thinking that but didn't know if it was too simple. :D

Blaze
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Apparently I fail at having an image in my signature; ah well! :p

New York Mermaid
07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
I decided on "Mermaid Rose" at one point but i said eh, cause everyone knows me as Rose (real name) I want something different which is how Lanai came to be. You have something special and you deserve a unique name, something fiery, like the name of a godess or something as for image you need to put the link in and highlight it then click the image symbol once you got the [img] code your image should appear once save

Winged Mermaid
07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Sometimes even though you have a general idea of a name it takes a while for it to come to you. Or you do a crap ton of google searches until you find one you like :P Ex: First hit for "fire names" I thought was useful. Check it out! (http://hasani.net.phtemp.com/fire.html)

Either way, once you decide it IS possible for me to change your username if you want. I know that it can be a process finding a mermaid name, that's why I've decided everyone is allowed ONE username change.

Blaze
07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I agree on the Rose. :) What do you think about 'Safara'? it means 'Fire' in African. :D

melbel1023
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I like it!

Blaze
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
as for image you need to put the link in and highlight it then click the image symbol once you got the [img] code your image should appear once save

I swear that image button wasn't an option when i first was trying the signature. :D But thank you, yay it works now!

Blaze
07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I like it!

Thanks! P.S. Love your Etsy; I did Rocky Horror in Cambridge, Ma for 10+ years & am still on the cast list. ;)

New York Mermaid
07-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Ohh Mermaid Safara I can see that!! all you need is a firey mermaid tail OMG it would so work :)

Blaze
07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Ohh Mermaid Safara I can see that!! all you need is a firey mermaid tail OMG it would so work :)

Heehee, I already had my 'fire tail' sketched out & although my first one I make will be green I'll make the fire one shortly after. I'm speaking of spandex ones for those; the question now becomes do I go for my original plan of a realistic green tail or try and get a fire one? :p

Dang it; I know I'm going to end up trying to make an ALEX tail... :p I do NOT need another hobby! lol!

Mermaid Sirena
07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes you do! You always need another hobby ^_^ can't ever have to many now! I found my name in a book called "Sirena" who I fell in love with and my character is a slight tribute to her and what she gave to me from the pages of her story. I think Safara sounds beautiful though if you want I like to go to baby sites I like babyhold (http://www.babyhold.com/) cause you can search by the meaning of the name which last I knew almost no other sites did that or organized them by heritage and then genders like they do.

MermaidSaku
08-02-2011, 07:38 AM
safara sounds like my second middle name my grandmother gave me lol.

I was named after a prince named shafar in africa but, because i turned out to be a girl they named me Sharfar-i to mean african princess xD.
I didn't know it was so close to fire.

Blaze
08-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Still thinking back and forth on my name. What about 'Adara'? it has a few different meanings including 'fire' and all the other meanings are cool too.

:D
Just being wishywashy! ;)

Blaze
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
More wishy washy. Currently fixated on 'Scarlet Rose'. :D I emailed my friend Scarlet as well as Fallon (The Scarlett Harlott) to see if they would mind if I used that name (i try and be respectful of such things!); my friend Scarlet was cool with it & just waiting to hear back from Fallon now.

Alveric
08-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I think Syrenka is kinda cool, not specifically firey though. It's Slavic for mermaid.

Alveric

MermaidCalliope
08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
I like Adara or Safara... they're both lovely ^__^

Mermaid Saphira
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
My favorite so far is definatley "Safara"

taom
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
My name (taom) means overflow in gaelic. Perhaps you could try looking into using different languages to find your name.

Blaze
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
My name (taom) means overflow in gaelic. Perhaps you could try looking into using different languages to find your name.

Err... I did do that already as you can see from several of the names I've posted from different languages. ;)

Regardless; I think I've pretty much settled on just being called 'Mermaid Scarlet' in person; full name Scarlet Rose. :D I tried to do the fancy names but I'm a simple girl (albeit very sparkly!) at heart. :D