PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a silly question...

MermaidParties
06-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Does anyone have tips on learning how to open your eyes under water? I wore contacts from age 11 to 25, and then I had lasik. It's been a year and 3 months since my lasik and I really want to learn to open my eyes under water. I'm really scared of possibly damaging my eyes and ruining my new glasses and contact free vision. I could never learn to as a kid because of wearing contacts, swimming blind is never fun. So it was just something I never got to do.
I was wondering if anyone else maybe has experienced lasik and learned to open their eyes under water after. I really really want to be able to take underwater mermaid pictures and eventually be able to perform under water. I just can't get over my fear of losing my vision. Any tips would be so greatly appreciated! :D

Kanti
06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Well I think after lasik it may be a bit tricky. Since they never really seal your eye closed after
cutting it with the laser, there may be a risk that it didn't heal properly. Though I'm sure your
doctor would mention something like that if there was a significant risk.
I'd call a random lasik hotline and ask them if its ok and how they'd suggest doing it.
I'd try to go to a salted pool or a very mildly chlorinated one to try practicing so your eyes aren't
overwhelmed with nasty stuff xD

Nemefish
06-07-2012, 05:12 AM
if i were you i would ask you doctor :)

AniaR
06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
a good question for your eye doctor! I think everyone is different. I seem to have built up a pretty good tolerance. mean while anytime my boyfriend does it in a pool he gets pink eye!

MermaidParties
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I did ask the doctor and I googled it and both said after 3 months I'd be ok to try it I'm just scared haha I was just wondering if anyone else has been where I am :D its really something to be blind the majority of your life, only being able to see 6 inches in front of your face without glasses or contacts and then finally be able to wake up and see everything, clear as a bell.
A friend suggested I try practicing in a luke warm bath first. That might be easier than a pool.

Kanti
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Yea, that would be a good idea. Any sort of water that would be mild on your eyes then slowly work
up to more daunting waters haha.
I think as long as you take it one step at a time you'll be fine. Maybe keep some eyedrops handy
incase your eyes start to burn you can flush them out with some solution.

MermaidParties
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Great idea Kanti! I still buy saline eyedrops for emergencies.

Kanti
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Haha yea I learned that the hard way xD
I always swim with contacts on cause once I get out of the pool I'm blind as a bat.
Sometimes contacts are great for keeping icky water in your eyes so it's always nice
to have it around!

MermaidParties
06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I opened my eyes underwater! Now I just have to learn to not hold my nose at the same time haha New pictures are posted on Mermaid Parties' facebook though :D

Samantha Siren
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Steph all you need to do instead of holding your nose is breath out through your nose when you go under. Let a little air out then it should be fine and you won't get any water going up your nose. If it feels like it will breathe out a little more.

MermaidParties
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Haha I totally tried that and this is what happened! lol I used to know how to do it as a kid but I havent swam underwater in so long. I'll eventually get it haha my coordination between opening my eyes and not getting water in my nose is off haha

Samantha Siren
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Hahahaha very pretty! As I said you don't need to constantly breathe out, onlu once as you're going under, the you can pose. Though I do breathe out when doing back flips and rolls!

MermaidParties
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
lol I'm not even ready for that. haha When I was a kid I could do this stuff all day like a pro.. then I started having to be an adult and couldn't any more, or so I thought. But I'm determined to learn again and take amazing underwater pictures :D Oh and the instant I let air out my nose my eyes' reflex was to shut haha and that pic was the result lmao

Samantha Siren
06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Screw it let's have beer instead! :)

Bellasea
06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
If you hum, I think it will do the same thing but with less bubbles.

MermaidParties
06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Hahahaha nice Samantha :D That's a cool idea Bellasea! Thanks!

Samantha Siren
06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Man why am I up at 3am sewing fish netting onto a bra? Someone tell me to go to bed