PDA

View Full Version : Legal Ruling Limits SeaWorld's Ability to Make Orcas do Stupid Tricks

malinghi
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
In the aftermath of a trainer being killed by an orca two years ago, federal regulators have announces rules that prohibit certain levels of contact between the trainers and the orcas. While it wasn't their motivation, I'm glad that this hurts SeaWorld's ability to put on their trained orca shows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/us/killer-whale-shows-restricted-at-seaworld-orlando.html

Spindrift
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Yesyesyes.

Kanti
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
:/ They should just retire them to aquarium status instead of making them do those degrating shows
anyway.
In the end the orcas are the ones that have to pay for it. It was probably more stimulating for the orcas
to get the physical interaction from their trainers and helped build social bonds. Now they're just
taking commands from behind a wall.

Mermaid Annariea
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
it doesnt hurt their shows at all, actually. it even said that ticket sales hadnt gone down.
but most whales, etc arent taken from the wild, but are instead rescued and unable to be released because of various issues. tili was captured, so i dont agree with them having him there anyway, plus hes a wild animal, so of course he would have been unpredictable.

Mermaid Annariea
06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
yeah, i agree with kanti.

Kanti
06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
None of SeaWorld's orcas are rescues.
If they were do you think they'd be jumping through hoops? xD
I believe only 5 or 6 of their orcas are actually wild caught, the rest are results from their breeding
program. I think only one of their orcas is actually second generation removed from the wild.

Mermaid Annariea
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
oohhhhh.

LindseyLu
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Regardless of whatever show they are using them for, these beautiful anilmals should not be forced to live in fish bowls for their entire lives. It's all very sad to me. Like forcing a dog to spend his whole life in a crate, feeding him only when he does tricks for you...so sad :(

Mermaid Arianna
07-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Whats so funny about this article is that they seem so shocked that a KILLER whale killed someone. even if they think an animal has been domesticated its still a wild animal and it will follow instinct! these people really need to wake up and realize that these animals are still wild! in the ocean they have almost endless space but these people claiming to have saved these animals keep them in fishbowls and expect them to be "pretty" and "graceful" these huge animals might find it hard to be graceful in a fishbowl. People should just go to places where they can see real killer whales (not to say the seaworld ones are fake)
(causing drama is not my intention thats just my opinion.)

Theobromine
07-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Ohh, this makes me really happy to hear. I love zoos and aquariums because they promote education and conservation, but sea life parks that make the animals perform in shows like that drive me insane. To me, it's the same as a circus with bears being forced to ride around in circles on tiny bicycles. Wild animals are not meant just for the entertainment of humans. So while I'm not against animals in captivity if they're well cared for (who can deny the educational and conservation value of being able to see exotic animals up close in naturalistic habitats, and of species survival plan programs), I believe that circus-esque performances like this have no place. I'd be happy to see them outlawed completely, though I doubt that will happen anytime soon.