PDA

View Full Version : Something I think all the Mers should know. Someone seriously crossed the line.

MermaidParties
06-09-2012, 03:44 AM
So recently I received a bad review. Normally I wouldn't let it get to me and just try to improve on whatever negative feed back I got. But this time, I'm afraid someone has crossed the line and not just with me.
I made a tail for someone that didn't think it was up to par. That's ok, it happens. You can't please everyone. However, can someone tell me why this person, instead of coming to me with any issues because everyone knows I will do what I can to fix them, turns around and sells the damaged tail on ebay. Ok, that's fine too. It doesn't offend me at all if someone I make a tail for decides to sell it. What does offend me is that she posted in her review, and I quote "Definitely COULD NOT SWIM in tail" and "There is NO WAY to swim in this tail" and then she lists it on ebay with this in the description? "This is a great tail- be the first to swim in it!" oh and "A brand-new, unused, and unworn item". The review was posted on June 6th. The tail was sold on ebay on May 25th.
Well folks, see for yourself.
Review:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1773-Mermaid-Parties
Ebay Listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1e6e5e90c1&item=130700710081&nma=true&pt=US_Costumes&rt=nc&si=d64v5tfO9qYzTGJEb6fw2bh7zh0%253D&orig_cvip=true#ht_500wt_1287

I heard the tail was purchased by Mermaid Loki. I just want her to know I am very sorry she was lied to and ripped off.

Ayla of Duluth
06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
The eBay description is totally different than the review they wrote. Like they're lying to make it sell for more. Honestly I think before they sold it they should have talked to you. I'm sure you would have done your best to work out any problems. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, you can't please every single person you come across and you're bound to get one bad apple, and I highly doubt it'll lower your sales or anything like that. Still, sorry that happened to you. :/

Sephina
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree with waterwolf you really can't please everyone. And for the record the materials on the fluke and dorsal definitely don't look like felt to me. However just try not to take it personally and remember all of the good reviews you have gotten. If they really did have that much trouble with the tail then I suspect that they did what every ebay seller does and pumps up whatever they are selling to make it go faster. You will never know why she left such a horrible review but you just have to move on and take time to breathe.

Spindrift
06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow it looks like she made a tiny profit on it.

Mermaid Momo
06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
i noticed that in the review, she said that the fringe wasn't as she requested it (like hannahs) and that it was felt, but when i look at the ebay listing the fringe looks to me like it is the matting that hannah used and that the painting looks totally fine. But then again, There will always be people like that. I really don't know what could have made them want to post a review like that then turn around and sell the tail saying something totally different. The best i can say is that this person did it to make a profit and it has nothing at all to do with the tail she recieved not being up to pare.

New York Mermaid
06-09-2012, 01:36 PM
thats messed up i guess she figured she can use the tail, paint it up and turn a profit for another mertailor tail :( . If the tail was sold may 25th and the review was june 6th then Im going to assume its a "Fake" review. Im sorry but if she had an issue she should have came to you about it. that is so freakin wrong..

MermaidParties
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not upset in the least I got a bad review or that she didn't like her tail. It's bound to happen, that's just business :D She knew she could have come to me with any issues but it was her choice not too. However, I am highly upset and offended that she would lie to sell that tail. Mermaid Loki could have got a brand new tail, in working order for half what she paid for the damaged tail. And what really bothers me, is in her MerNetwork listing to advertise that it was on ebay, she doesn't give any specifics there about the tail, either. Just leads everyone on and makes them think it's in perfect condition. I just don't like liars. I feel so bad for Loki and I really wish she'd report the sale to ebay for false advertising and try to get her money back. So many people get away with scamming unsuspecting, honest customers it drives me crazy.

Orion
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Don't worry, all of your other reviews are so positive that anyone who really considers purchasing from you will see that you do quality work. I know it might be scary to think that someone might just see the bad one. but with the price of tails, I doubt that someone would do so little research as to not look at all of the reviews and be a serious byer. Don't worry, your work speaks for itself. :)

Winged Mermaid
06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not upset in the least I got a bad review or that she didn't like her tail. It's bound to happen, that's just business :D She knew she could have come to me with any issues but it was her choice not too. However, I am highly upset and offended that she would lie to sell that tail. Mermaid Loki could have got a brand new tail, in working order for half what she paid for the damaged tail. And what really bothers me, is in her MerNetwork listing to advertise that it was on ebay, she doesn't give any specifics there about the tail, either. Just leads everyone on and makes them think it's in perfect condition. I just don't like liars. I feel so bad for Loki and I really wish she'd report the sale to ebay for false advertising and try to get her money back. So many people get away with scamming unsuspecting, honest customers it drives me crazy.

I DID send a message and an email to user Mermaid Loki informing her of the details of the matter, and also informed her that with the photographic and text evidence that is on the net (and screen captured just in case) that proves her listing description of the item is false, she CAN contest the item and payment with eBay and Paypal if she is unsatisfied with her purchase. It is very likely that if she wishes to follow through she can receive a refund of her money and/or return the item. I let her know that if she decides to do so the community will stand behind her. It's sad to see that a fellow mermaid would act in such a way, but unfortunately it does happen. I hope you will find some comfort in knowing that if Loki chooses she can contest and possibly receive a refund for this false listing.

AniaR
06-09-2012, 05:54 PM
ugh Im sorry that happened to you Stephanie. Alex Plus can be super tricky with the curing when it comes to inside the fluke. Im not sure if that's what you used inside, but heads up you can use a quick drying silicone inside if you wanted, doesnt matter if it's clear either because it's inside and no one sees it and it should bond to fabric. That may deal away with the fins coming unstuck too early.

There are a few things I really appreciate about how you do business
1. You constantly communicate with customers- it takes a lot of effort on your part, and even those who havent bought from you appreciate that transparency.
2. You're always willing to receive constructive feedback, try new things, and make fixes.
3. you give info sheets with your tails- something mertailor really should be doing in my opinion.

Sometimes, there is just a lemon. it's no ones fault, it happens. The person should have contacted you BUT I know when they were having issues with their mertailor tail he never gave them any positive responses so she may have wrongly judged all tail makers because of that. Also, you may have been receiving left over frustrations from the issues with her first mertailor tail. None of those are your responsibility, and Im not excusing the reviewers actions either, just something I think may have very well been a key factor.

However the whole re-sell thing etc uspet me, and also that they didnt contact you. Im sorry this experience happened, I hope you wont let it deter you from continuing to make tails. I will say Alex plus from personal experience is not long lasting. And in no way trying to be a jerk to you, but people need to understand if they're only payin 200 or so $ for a tail made from Alex plus, they can't expect it to be silicone quality.

MermaidParties
06-09-2012, 06:12 PM
It's sad to see that a fellow mermaid would act in such a way, but unfortunately it does happen. I hope you will find some comfort in knowing that if Loki chooses she can contest and possibly receive a refund for this false listing.

Thank you :) I just felt so bad for Loki. It wasn't fair to her at all.

MermaidParties
06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
ugh Im sorry that happened to you Stephanie. Alex Plus can be super tricky with the curing when it comes to inside the fluke. Im not sure if that's what you used inside, but heads up you can use a quick drying silicone inside if you wanted, doesnt matter if it's clear either because it's inside and no one sees it and it should bond to fabric. That may deal away with the fins coming unstuck too early.

I'm not sure what caused the fins to come unstuck as described in the review, but I don't use the Alex as adhesive. It takes a really long time to dry between the latex covered neoprene and it collects moisture pretty easily which makes it not so great for bonding. I use E6000 glue for anything I need a strong adhesive for. But any number of things could have happened, that's why I wasn't upset about the review, just what she chose to do with her tail and to Mermaid Loki.
I expect hiccups in this business as in any other business :) That's why I love the constructive criticisms I receive. You've all been so wonderful and welcoming. I never imagined it'd be this rewarding joining this community. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all the mers I've encountered since I began my business.

Kanti
06-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I know how you feel -__-
Not about the whole re-selling thing, but the fact people freakin' leave bad reviews without even
contacting you or giving you a chance to fix it!
I've had 2 bad reviews for some horns I sell and the first one was written AWFULLY! The lady literally
let out all her frustration on me and wrote how terrible and unuseable the horns were. After reading a
review like that, you sort of want to know wtf went wrong and what the product even looks like! After I
contacted her she ended up telling me the horns weren't even that bad!!! So it's like why the hell do you
write a review that makes me seem like such a bad guy @_@
Not only that, I offered to fix it afterwards..

This person seems like a total scumbag. But of course, they're not going to say it's a bad tail if they're trying
to re-sell it. That's a pretty low move on their part.
All Mermaid Loki has to do is report it via paypal or eBay buyer protection.
Just say the item wasn't as described and they'll file a claim for you if the seller doesn't give you a refund or
offer to fix it.
I'd totally try to get it returned to the seller, she seems like a really lame person to try and pass on a tail
she didn't like to someone else under the impression that it was good.

Vyrel
06-10-2012, 03:32 AM
I am saving up for one of your tails....I am the matching speedo and tail guy from facebook!

MermanJV
06-10-2012, 09:41 AM
The only thing I can say is that she is insane. The review must be fake. I already told the Mer in question (via a thread) my opinion on the thing. I hope she was just a horrific liar, because I want Loki to receive a usable tail. My advice to Loki: report it, demand (if anything) a partial refund, so that it evens out to what she would have directly paid Stevi for it.

Stevi, we've talked about this I know, but don't get discouraged. She obviously was a con artist. Ignore that review entirely.

MermaidParties
06-10-2012, 01:52 PM
So on a good note! I talked to Mermaid Loki! :D She said the tail was great aside from the fluke separating at the bottom and she asked me how she should fix it so I advised her how to fix it and hopefully soon maybe she'll share some pictures with us! :D
And a huge thanks to everyone for your support! I wasn't going to let a bad review get me down but I also wasn't going to let a bad person get away with ripping off a fellow mer with one of my tails. I just felt a need, a responsibility to share what I knew with the scammed mermaid and everyone else. So many people try to get away with scamming others and they're just rotten eggs. I know a few. :D So, I'm just so glad we have a pretty much happy ending for this :D

MermaidParties
06-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I am saving up for one of your tails....I am the matching speedo and tail guy from facebook!

I'm looking forward to trying out this idea for you :D

Prince Calypso
06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
ow wow thast really messed up sweety. i'm sorry someone put your through such bullshit. you make great tails in your own right
i saw the tail and it looked fine to me, not really my color but it looked fine
i love my tail even with the few little problems and i mean FEW LITTLE problems.
and if i really had any issues with it i would would have told you and asked you how we can go about fixing it
i would go sale the tail after writing a slanderous review

MermaidParties
06-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks Calypso :D I appreciate that. Did you get the fabric I sent? And have you got to swim in your tail yet?! :D

AniaR
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I just felt a need, a responsibility to share what I knew with the scammed mermaid and everyone else

and Im so glad you COULD! I feel like lately on mernetwork there's been a lot of buzz around "Drama" and I know a lot of people who refuse to post about similar issues because they dont want to be accused of starting drama or actually starting it etc. I think it's INSANELY Important that people speak up about these things!!! I wouldnt have known this had happened if you hadnt brought it up and Im glad you did. <3

MermaidParties
06-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks Raina. I can let it go if I'm the one being screwed but I can't stand by and watch someone screw someone else and not say anything. It's just wrong. "There's two types of evil people. People who do evil things and people who see evil things being done and don't do anything to stop it." -Mean Girls, oh yea haha

Bellasea
06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Oh, that's horrible. I saw the review and I thought, 'oh wow what happend? Hopefully Stephanie can fix it.' Then she turns around and sells it for more than twice what she bought it!

Mahi Mermaid
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Mahi Mermaid
06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Also,

#1 I put the bid starting at $180 which is what I paid for it- The "Buy It Now" was $450...there IS a choice to be made there...

#2 If I'm such a "rip off" for selling it "twice as much as I paid for it" then so are those who sell mermaid tops for $40+ when the shells themselves are only $2 and you can find the stuff to decorate them from the dollar store.

#3 Lets be honest here- creativity, arts, crafts, and projects are not cheap. They cost money, time, and commitment to start and to complete. We are all expressing our personalities through the work and art we create but when we want to show them to the world, it comes at a price- a price that doesn't just cover the materials you used...a price that also covers the time you spent plus some....

So please don't slander my name or say these untrue things about me. Stephanie if you had a problem with what we talked about- YOU should have come to me, just like I came to you.

This discussion should not be continued.

Kanti
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I suppose, but why didn't you want to have her fix the tail?

Also you should have mentioned the errors when you listed it on eBay : /
Not only that but your review stated how poorly the tail was made and that there was no way
you could swim in it then you turned around and wrote in the eBay description that it was
"perfect for swimming- very durable". Not to mention you said it was "new" even though it
wasn't, you tried it on and used it for a shoot.

Even though you guys talked about it I don't see that as an excuse for you to turn around
and try to sell it over eBay as a "near perfect item" when you complained so much about it.
Especially after writing such a bad review.

I think that's why me and other people think it was a very crummy thing for you to do.

Mahi Mermaid
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I see where you and the others are coming from- But as stated above, The tail could be great for someone just not for me and for what uses I needed it for. A lot of parents were bidding on the tail and it would have been great for a child who is using it for "recreation" or for someone who is using it to fufill their dreams of becoming a mermaid. For me, although I too want my dreams to come true, I need a stronger tail.

And the tail was new, I used it for a photoshoot yes but doesn't every one take a picture of their tail before sending it out? Of course we do. I had it just long enough to paint it, let it dry, and take a few shots.

I did complain about the tail and I would not have been happy if if she would have fixed it because there was nothing she could do to fix it for my particular needs. It doesn't mean that someone else couldn't be happy with it. If Loki doesn't like the tail (which she does) than she could sell it on Ebay too..that's what people do. If you buy something and don't like it, then resell it and get something you do like. no harm there.

Mermaid Rillia
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
People who sell mermaid tops have nothing to do with what you did. you can't even compare the two.
Honestly if I were Loki, I would be pissed. The way you described the tail on ebay and the review you posted DID NOT match up. So right there is the PERFECT EXAMPLE of false advertising.
Were not trying to slander your name sweety. Its just that many people on this forum dont appreciate being lied to. Think about it if you were in Loki's position. You buy this tail that is advertised as near perfect. And then you get on here and read the review on it and find out otherwise.... I wouldn't like it and i am pretty sure you wouldn't either.

Kanti
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
#1 - $450 seems like too high a price. Especially since all you did was paint it.
Not to mention it is not a perfect tail, you said there were lots of errors in it. So honestly, the
buyout should have been JUST above the $200 or whatever it was to pay for the tail and your time
repainting it. $450 is way too much.

#2 - I plan on making mermaid tops and selling them for $70. Is that a ripoff? I think not at all. The shells
were originally $3 each you need 2 so $6, the netting costs at least $10, aquarium plants cost around $5
for enough to decorate it, it costs $30 for a strapless bra (at WALMART!), and then you need to PAINT the
shell, because I often find they're very dirty or the coloring isn't even, so $5 for paint?
So my total cost is $56 JUST for materials. So really, I'm only gaining $14 for my work, not to mention I pay
myself less than $5 an hour because it takes about 2 hours to repaint the shells and probably 3-5 hours to
construct the bra and attach/arrange anything.
I'm sorry, that example was bad. Those shell bras are very justifyed in their pricing.

#3 - I understand you had to repaint the tail but I don't know if that's worth double the price of a supposedly
damaged tail ):
Steph charges $200 for fully painted tails (at least I think?) so, cmon.
$200 is expensive for creativity, but it's time and products you're paying for so it's worth it in the end. Steph
probably put a nice amount of time MAKING the entire tail, you just painted and resold it :/

Sorry, I don't mean to be confrontational but it doesn't make sense.
I also am a bit offended that you bring in the seashell tops into the discussion because those
are in no way ripoffs.

Winged Mermaid
06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Krystal was referring to the Mertailor tops that are two shells and some hemp and they're $40. Now that IS a rip off IMO.

Also to me if a tail has been worn in water it can no longer be listed as new. Kind of like how you can wear new shoes in your house to see if you like them, but the minute they start walking outside (dirty pavement and concrete) you can no longer return them to the store as they are used. All of the tail sales on eBay I've seen are listed as "used" and "as is" with lots of pictures and a good description so they know what "as is" really means for the item. This includes any issues, and monofin issues- like the Mertailor silicone tail that was listed stated the monofin was indeed broken.

Kanti
06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Ohhh well maybe for the Mertailor ones I suppose.
It does look like all he did was drill a hole through them and string em lol

Stil, I don't even think that's fair. If you WEAR anything it is no longer new. Even if it just is
to try it on. Especially since eBay's description of a NEW item is:
New without tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is
not in original packaging or may be missing original packaging materials (such as the original box or bag).etc.

So right there if Loki wanted to she could get a full refund JUST because of the fact that it was WORN
since it was listed as NEW. If Krystal really thought it was in such great condition that it could still pass
off as new, she should have listed it as used, but then written in the description that she had only worn it
once and it was still in near perfect condition.

However, even then it's not right, especially after all the complaints listed in the review.
We're not bullying you, Krystal, we just think what you did was WRONG. Like Brooke said, imagine if it
happened to you. You probably wouldn't be very happy.

AniaR
06-14-2012, 04:02 PM
well I can see where the misunderstanding happened. I think the review Krystal posted should have been sent to Stephanie before she posted it. So at least Stephanie would know what was going to end up here, and I do agree that the review and what was put in the add didn't match up.

However, I see this now as an issue between Krystal and Stephanie, especially since Loki seems perfectly happy with her tail :) Im sorry Krystal if anything I said came across as hurtful, we all want to see mermaid parties succeed and the fact that she is very open to criticism is EXTREMELY refreshing in this community when it comes to tail makers. I know that issues around tail making can be a real hot button issue for this community, we often dance around it because certain tail makers create an environment where it's very difficult to post true experiences without some sort of beratement. (sp?) And if we all jumped into something that in the end really shouldnt involve us, I think it's only because we're very protective of our investments in tails and there's been such a legacy of people being ripped off- I think this community has reached it's limit and isn't willing to take anymore rip off crap!

I can see where you're both coming from, I assume from Stephanie's perspective since your emails to her weren't very negative, and not very representative of what was in the review, that the review totally took her by surprise, add on top of it the ebay listing which was nothing like the review and I understand her frustration. She also felt she would have been willing to fix things but your review made it seem like she wasnt.

And Krystal, I totally see where you're coming from. I have logged on to mernetwork before to see an experience between myself and someone else out in the open for everyone to see with a lot of details misrepresented. I know what it's like to just suddenly feel like holy crap, people must hate me now, and they dont even know my side or see any proof (e.g. your emails). So I can totally sympathise with what you must be feeling.

Hopefully you can both take this as a learning experience, as well as us, and move on. Personally, I'd like to see ebay tails with lots of descriptions, photos, and exactly what they're made of (e.g. alex plus)

MermaidParties
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I just want to say I did not start this post to start drama or "slander" anyone's name I was telling facts. Facts that I learned after the conversation posted between Krystal and me. In all honesty, I felt extremely betrayed. We had that nice friendly conversation and you told me about the tail and that you sold it and that you were going to post a review. However, you did not tell me the tail was damaged before trying to sell it to see if we could work it out. And then you give me that awful review only for me to find out that there is nothing wrong with the tail as far as it's swimming ability. The fluke did come open on the bottom according to Loki, but that's all that was truthful in the review and it was a super easy fix I could have explained given the chance but I explained it to Loki and all is well. The point I was trying to make is the ebay listing was not truthful in it's description of the tail according to the review and posted almost two weeks before the review. Once the tail was sold the review was posted. Not to mention, on the mernetwork feed advertising this tail on ebay, there was no indication that it was a Mermaid Parties' tail and that made me feel like that was so people wouldn't link the review with that tail to the ebay listing. Any ways, like I said, wasn't trying to start drama just trying to right a wrong. I felt wronged and I didn't appreciate it.

Mermaid Star
06-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Sorry, I haven't really read most of this. But I kinda get the gist. Though I completely understand the frustration of the situation, it can put a smudge on the reputation of mermaid parties for putting a microscope on their client. Businesses, in my opinion, shouldn't really have feelings or show that they do. I know you do personally, but they should not be posted , in my opinion, using a business log in. but again those are my personal views and can be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry, I am rambling. I am tired. Just got out if work and it is after 1am

AniaR
06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I dont think you're trying to start drama :) we can't be afraid of the drama llama all the time!

MermaidParties
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks Raina :) And you're right :D

MermaidParties
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
That's so sad!! I'm still saving up for one of your tails, no worry!!

It's all good and behind us now :) and thank you :D I really appreciate it!!