PDA

View Full Version : Monofin Jump!

halesloveswhales
06-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Cool! Man, I really want to see a mermaid do this! Video challenge anyone? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09RmuaPyVU

Blondie
06-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Whaaaaaaat. Holy crap. When he starts swimming up. It almost lookst inhuman xD

halesloveswhales
06-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Right? His form is beautiful!

LindseyLu
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I love that video! Check out Mermaid Aiera's jump! It's really impressive, she's an incredible swimmer! <3

http://youtu.be/UjdHVyPYb0Y

halesloveswhales
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh my goodness yes! I tried to do Aiera's jump at the rec center pool today. I failed miserably. haha

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I tried to jump out of the water in a 10 meter deep diving tower with a mermaid tail, but unfortunately I failed. The tail is too heavy above the water...

Nemefish
06-19-2012, 02:17 AM
oh my Neptune..... o.O awesome!!!!!!!!!! :yay:XD

New York Mermaid
06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
lets see what i can do, ill be in monofin this wednesday and saturday in tail..

Mermaasai
06-19-2012, 02:28 AM
that is probably the cutest 'Peace! *smile*' I have EVER seen ^.^

Gem Stone
08-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Challenge accepted. I'm going to jump out of the water in my tail. I almost succeeded once at Weeki Wachee. I didn't have a monofin just two small kiddie fins in my fabric tail and I got all the way up to my ankles out of the water. It was awesome!

Thalassa
08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
I want to swim like that someday...*sigh*

Spindrift
08-03-2012, 09:29 PM
MUST GET ABS OF STEEL >.<

spottedcatfish
08-04-2012, 02:46 AM
That video of Mermaid Aiera is an inspiration for me! Such beauty!

I'm also going to work on my technique. That monofin jumper was amazing too!

Keiris
08-06-2012, 01:16 AM
OMG the power in that guy's jump! What a merman he would be!!!
That video of Mermaid Aiera is an inspiration for me! Such beauty!

I'm also going to work on my technique. That monofin jumper was amazing too!

Derek Broussard
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Mermaid Aiera Is amazing underwater!

Kanti
09-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I'd think jumping in a fabric tail would be difficult o_o
Maybe a silicone one would be less heavy and mroe possible?
Still, you'd need a huge/stiff fin!

Echidna
04-29-2013, 10:31 AM
yep, the Monofin Guy really got me into Mermaiding with his style. He swims like a real dolphin, it's amazing.
(He's also World Champion , so I won't try to emulate him any time soon...)
My guess is such a powerful accelerated swim+jump is not possible with the floppy, flimsy fin I have in my tail anyway :P
Might save for a Finis competitor now.

Still. I bet while in a tail, this wouldn't be possible.
AND I yet have to find a pool that's deeper than lousy 7 feet
(the deeper ones are all under the tower, and I don't think swimming down there would be a bright idea :D )

Mermaid Dottie
04-29-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm actually working on it...

Aziara
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Jaw... Floor :jawdrop:
the first video has amazing speed and power. The second is pure grace. Lovely.

SeaSister
10-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Wow! Mermaid Aiera... she just looks so natural and graceful underwater, like she was born a sea-creature. Her movements seem very otter-like to me - you know, quick and playful and joyous. :)

Mermaid Kelda
10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Aiera's video was actually one of the first things that made me really get into mermaiding. It's so graceful and fluid, and definitely what I aspire to match when I get a tail!

SeaSister
10-26-2013, 12:09 AM
^ Like! And I agree. XD

Merley
10-28-2013, 07:51 AM
O.O Wow. Just wow. I definitely need a monofin to train in. Is she using a cut competitor?

MermaidAiera
10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone! I just came across this thread and WOW thank you everyone for your amazing positive feedback <333
I'm so glad to inspire! I've been thinking of doing another video like this soon since it's been getting such great reception from the mer-community.
I may also talk about my techniques as well as training styles to help other mers looking to achieve this type of look--it's a long road, but definitely achievable.
Again, thank you all for the great support and I'll be looking forward to my next MonoFin video ;)

p.s.--Yes, it is a modified Competitor ^_^ (although for jumping, I wish I hadn't cut it. It loses a lot of it's power! hahaha)

halesloveswhales
10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh man, a techniques video would be so awesome! Even a commentary voice-over of the video you already have. Or both. Haha. Thanks Aiera!

Seatan
10-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Aiera, I would love to know how you train! I consider myself a "throw em in the pond" swimmer, aka, I know how to swim pretty well from years at the lake but don't have any actual training in what to do. I really want to become a better swimmer and would LOVE to hear your techniques!

Nyxie
10-28-2013, 01:51 PM
this is SICK!! AHhh:jawdrop:

Cool! Man, I really want to see a mermaid do this! Video challenge anyone? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09RmuaPyVU

Fun123joker
10-29-2013, 06:24 PM
omg omg omg omg i thought this was impossible to do! \(゜◇゜\)

Echidna
10-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Besides the correct technique, you need the right monofin-
and of course, deep enough water.
Wish I could try this out, but you just can't do much in a pool >:(

Kuda de la Mer
01-27-2014, 09:49 PM
This is really cool! I now have a goal to work towards with my new monofin! :D

JaceAquarius
01-28-2014, 08:45 PM
I have got 1/2 out of the water but holy crap!!! That's Amazing!!!

Mermaid Kelda
01-29-2014, 12:44 AM
I feel like this would be muuuch harder to do with a tail, especially a big heavy silicone one; tails aren't built to be particularly streamlined like a plain old monofin is. Only one way to find out, though! As soon as I get my tail and find deep enough water, I'm giving it a shot!

Echidna
01-29-2014, 12:54 AM
As soon as I get my tail and find deep enough water, I'm giving it a shot!
same! this summer I hope.

Maybe I can even find someone to film it ;)
so you can all get a laugh at my expense. :p

Mermaid Caspiana
01-29-2014, 02:13 AM
As soon as its possible. I have no idea when I'll get access to deep enough water, I want to try this so bad in my fabric tail. And as soon as I get/make my silicone I'll try. I'll probably give you all a good laugh. But you never know. Haha

Anahita
01-29-2014, 06:03 AM
I'd love to try this in a tail, but man, I have a feeling between the scales possibly creating more surface area and drag, and the weight of the silicone out of the water, combined with the fact that most tails are made with softer blade monofins, well, I know I'd flop like a fool with all that....

I think a fabric tail with a really stiff monofin would have the best chance at this. Well, those things on a mer with a great core.... (so, definitely not me, lol)

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Neat! Anyone tried the jump by building speed at the surface of the water inside of deep below?

Mermaid Caspiana
01-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Neat! Anyone tried the jump by building speed at the surface of the water inside of deep below?
Do you mean like a dolphin? If so, I have. It turned out pretty well. But nothing like a dolphin can. Maybe like 4in. out of the water. Haha

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
@Caspiana - Even a little jump like yours is cool!

Would it depend on the type of monofin you have? Like soft or hard monofin? Or the size of it?

Mermaid Caspiana
02-01-2014, 12:44 AM
@Caspiana - Even a little jump like yours is cool!

Would it depend on the type of monofin you have? Like soft or hard monofin? Or the size of it?
Thanks. Haha
Um, I'm no expert, but I think it does matter. Different combos mean different speeds and powers. Others can elaborate on this. ;)

Mermaid Jaffa
02-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Another noob question about Monofin Guy.

He expels all the air from his lungs as he's going up, is that to prevent the bends or to go faster? Can you even get the bends at that depth?

Anahita
02-05-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't think you can get the bends from free-diving.... That's a problem that happens with breathing pressurized air.

My guess is he's doing the same thing I do, exhaling before he leaves the water so that he can breathe in once he breaks the surface.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Oh. Guess that won't happen with me. The pool only has one depth, 1.2m, both in the Leisure pool and the 50m one. I would love to try the ocean one day, got to be a good swimmer cos there are currents out there.

AptaMer
02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think you can get the bends from free-diving.... That's a problem that happens with breathing pressurized air.

Hi Anahita, just wanted to mention that you can get the bends (Decompression Sickness, or DCS) from freediving.

You can read information here if you're interested http://www.blue-addiction.com/en/2011/05/dcs-in-free-diving/

http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/scubamed/FreedivingCauseDCS.asp?theID=626

In the video it looks like the diver is going down about 30-40 feet or so. Short dives to that depth with lots of time on the surface between them won't cause DCS, but longer freedives to deeper depths without adequate degassing time on the surface can cause it.

Anahita
02-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Good to know. That's a little scary, but I guess it's not much to worry about (for me at least). It looks like cases are for serious freediving - repeated and at depths greater than I usually go (I don't think I've ever bothered going deeper than 40ft...).

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Hmm... I haven't managed anything like this, but I'm reasonably good at "dolphin wiggling" to raise my torso above the water and hold myself up there while dolphin kicking with my whole body and using my arms to steady myself in a modified rapid-treading-water effort.

Maethor
01-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Hmm... I haven't managed anything like this, but I'm reasonably good at "dolphin wiggling" to raise my torso above the water and hold myself up there while dolphin kicking with my whole body and using my arms to steady myself in a modified rapid-treading-water effort.
Any video? I'm so curious!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Not yet, but Sean or Meraiah might have some videos... I'll wait and see.

Merman Jamie
01-07-2015, 04:28 AM
both amazing videos

Hopefully one day

MermaidAiera
01-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Hey all!

I'd just like to come out of the woodwork here to announce that I'm planning on doing another one/some more of these videos. I'm going to attempt more jumps with various types of fins, some more underwater tricks, and the "dolphin wiggling" technique mentioned before including footage both below and above the water. I may also highlight some of my training habits although they aren't really suitable/convenient for most.

If anyone has any feedback/requests for these videos, I'd really like to hear. I should have some pool time after February 25th where I can fool around and make videos, so if you have anything for me try to get it in before then! Anything I make I'll create a new thread for and throw the link here for all interested to see and more requests to be made <3

Until then!
~~Aiera

MermaidStormy
01-23-2015, 03:50 AM
Hey all!

I'd just like to come out of the woodwork here to announce that I'm planning on doing another one/some more of these videos. I'm going to attempt more jumps with various types of fins, some more underwater tricks, and the "dolphin wiggling" technique mentioned before including footage both below and above the water. I may also highlight some of my training habits although they aren't really suitable/convenient for most.

If anyone has any feedback/requests for these videos, I'd really like to hear. I should have some pool time after February 25th where I can fool around and make videos, so if you have anything for me try to get it in before then! Anything I make I'll create a new thread for and throw the link here for all interested to see and more requests to be made <3

Until then!
~~Aiera

Ahhhh Hello Mermaid Aiera :)

SO nice to hear from you this makes me very excited I can't wait to see your videos already <3

Sherielle
01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey all!

Until then!
~~AieraIs that a competitor monofin you are swimming with?

Lily
01-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Is that a competitor monofin you are swimming with?

Not MermaidAiera but yes, I'm about 99% sure that's a Competitor (which clearly has been cut into a mermaid-y-er shape). They don't seem to make them with the yellow blade anymore, though. :(

Rett
03-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Man, look at that guy go! So impressive! And then Ariera is just there to make us all feel awkward about how we swim in comparison to her beautifully fluid movements XD I try jumping all the time and the highest I ever got was to the highest part of my thigh using Diving flippers in a 12 foot pool. I really want to go somewhere as deep as the guy in that video with a competitor to see how I'd do ;)

Mermaid Jaffa
03-30-2015, 04:40 AM
I want to make the same kind of waves that finswimmers do!

TybeeMermaid
10-01-2017, 02:56 AM
I'm so glad I found this thread! I know I've been able to launch myself out of the water to about mid-thigh with my basic fins on at swim practice. I'll see if I can get myself any further out of the water with my monofin tomorrow!

Astridia
10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
*Squeals* I do this in my diving flippers (have yet to swim in a tail... TOMORROW I GET MY FINS WET! FINALLY) need a decent depth to get anywhere tho and a good rest afterwards XD it is fun... unless you belly flop on the way back down XD. Only ever managed knee-ish height tho.... now I wanna practice and do more XD

Slim
10-01-2017, 05:09 PM
I’m so going to attempt this at Alexander Spring next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissLunaBelle
10-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Man I wish my pool was that deep :( on another note, does cutting a competitor monofin like that make it easier to maneuver?

TybeeMermaid
10-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Unfortuneately the pool I practice in was not deep enough for me to attempt the jump. I guess I'll just have to wait for when we travel to a pool with a diving well to attempt it. But in other news, I was able to kick a 50 underwater in 22 seconds! I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to do a good jump when I get the chance to do one!

MermaidAiera
10-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Yeah, you need a solid 15ft at LEAST. I did mine in around 8 or 10, so it wasn't ideal at all. I want to try it in open water or at least 20ft deep.

does cutting a competitor monofin like that make it easier to maneuver?

Nope, not at all. This thing is a beast, the width is what makes it hard to turn in. You can see a few times how close the blade comes to my head. If you're not careful, you can really hurt yourself trying to do this stuff--start small, your body will thank you later.

MermaidLiara
10-05-2017, 06:07 AM
I'm actually training for this. In a 4 meters deep pool, I breach the water just above my knees. Already proud of that achievement. After I complete my freedive training I hope to be able to dive deeper so I can attain more speed before I breach.

I have a Subgear Trygons competitor monofin, in case anyone was wondering. With my fabric tail (which has a hydra monofin), I breach just above my hips.

TybeeMermaid
10-06-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm actually training for this. In a 4 meters deep pool, I breach the water just above my knees. Already proud of that achievement. After I complete my freedive training I hope to be able to dive deeper so I can attain more speed before I breach.

I have a Subgear Trygons competitor monofin, in case anyone was wondering. With my fabric tail (which has a hydra monofin), I breach just above my hips.

Wow, that sounds exciting! I can't wait to hear how your training goes! Best of luck!

MermaidLiara
10-09-2017, 08:16 AM
^Thanks :D I will post my progress in this topic.

Training for this jump with a competitor monofin is SO MUCH FUN!

Gem Stone
10-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Has anyone succeeded? I have not yet.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-11-2017, 05:30 AM
I can do the jump in a 2m depth pool. But you gotta make those abs work to get really high! Even though I don't clear the water like Monofin Jump Guy, its still fun and will get ya a bunch of looks.

Derek Broussard
01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
carefull guys! This is how I broke my Mono... The blade takes on a lot of stress if you don't completely clear it out of the water

TybeeMermaid
01-13-2018, 12:33 AM
I made a video recording my attempt at doing a jump in a tail. I wasn't as successful as I wanted to be since the mahina is very floppy and the pool was only 12ft deep. I was only able to make it out of the water to mid-thigh (and I can do that without fins!) I'll have to try again when I get a stronger monofin and access to deeper water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKZ0MoLIek&amp;lc=z224wnizwo3qunumnacdp434kqk 0otzy2pkkdlcnr0xw03c010c

I tried it again later during swim practice with a foil monofin but that monofin was too weak for my kick. The monofin fit my feet pretty well. It was pretty tight (which is how I like my fins) but the rubber straps on the heels were very thin. The force of my kick actually stretched the heel rubber far enough that the monofin would fly off my feet! I couldn't even kick 3 meters (off the wall or from the bottom of the pool) without the monofin flying off!

Ransom
01-13-2018, 04:17 AM
Gonna try it with my Waterway when I get the chance ;)

Ocoree
01-13-2018, 05:33 AM
I attempted a shallow breach in a 4ft pool (hotel) via keeping my momentum going right to the buildup so I don't burn energy getting started. It worked somewhat to get a more fluid surface movement similar to porpoising with the added momentum, so I wonder if that might make it easier for the mers able to access the deeper pools to attempt by doing a smooth arc than stopping at the bottom and starting from a standstill.

TybeeMermaid
01-16-2018, 02:11 PM
I attempted a shallow breach in a 4ft pool (hotel) via keeping my momentum going right to the buildup so I don't burn energy getting started. It worked somewhat to get a more fluid surface movement similar to porpoising with the added momentum, so I wonder if that might make it easier for the mers able to access the deeper pools to attempt by doing a smooth arc than stopping at the bottom and starting from a standstill.

You're right. It probably would be easier to do in a deeper pool. When we do flip turns in a race, turning around and redirecting your momentum efficently is always important. Turns are more efficent when you have a lot of speed going into them. You don't get stuck at the wall, you move quicker, and if your turn is really good, you actually have more speed coming off the wall than you did going into it. I'd imagine swimming fast enough to be able to breach the surface is pretty similar.

My attempt was in a 12ft (3 1/2 meters) deep pool. It normally takes me about 10-15 meters to reach my max speed while swimming (or kicking underwater). Trying it in deeper water (with a stronger monofin) would probably be more successful.

Ocoree
01-16-2018, 07:13 PM
You're right. It probably would be easier to do in a deeper pool. When we do flip turns in a race, turning around and redirecting your momentum efficently is always important. Turns are more efficent when you have a lot of speed going into them. You don't get stuck at the wall, you move quicker, and if your turn is really good, you actually have more speed coming off the wall than you did going into it. I'd imagine swimming fast enough to be able to breach the surface is pretty similar.

My attempt was in a 12ft (3 1/2 meters) deep pool. It normally takes me about 10-15 meters to reach my max speed while swimming (or kicking underwater). Trying it in deeper water (with a stronger monofin) would probably be more successful.

I had noticed that movement in the olympic races I've seen, and sometimes it's faster than you can register! My observation was mostly from watching a few mers stopping at the bottom and reorienting before pushing off into a sprint for the surface. The bay at my folks' island is maybe 15-25 ft in most areas with a silt bottom. I may give it a try there if there aren't too many moon jellyfish lurking around in the summer. Only problem is the visibility is terrible at 3-5ft :/ Yay for Maine coastline XP

Mermaid Kane
01-17-2018, 12:23 PM
I had noticed that movement in the olympic races I've seen, and sometimes it's faster than you can register! My observation was mostly from watching a few mers stopping at the bottom and reorienting before pushing off into a sprint for the surface. The bay at my folks' island is maybe 15-25 ft in most areas with a silt bottom. I may give it a try there if there aren't too many moon jellyfish lurking around in the summer. Only problem is the visibility is terrible at 3-5ft :/ Yay for Maine coastline XP
Moon jellys? Hell yeah, count me in! xD

Ocoree
01-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Moon jellys? Hell yeah, count me in! xD

Lol, I remember one summer you couldn't kayak five feet without hitting a swarm 2 ft thick in our bay. So many poor jellies got torn up by propellers that season :C It was fascinating seeing white, cream, blue, green, and pink jellies floating around.

Mermaid Kane
01-18-2018, 12:22 PM
. So many poor jellies got torn up by propellers that season :C It was fascinating seeing white, cream, blue, green, and pink jellies floating around.

Thats awful. Poor things are just trying to live, and unfortunately so are we.

MorningSun
11-06-2019, 05:48 AM
This thing looks difficult. Doubt I can do something like this but would like to try...
Though, recently I'm more deep kind fish, like slow sweemeng toching the bottom. :rollover: