PDA

View Full Version : If all of a sudden nature calls...

Mermaid Rillia
06-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Now this might seem like a very odd question but I feel like its valid.
Have you ever had one of those moments that your swimming along in your tail minding your own business and then nature calls and you have to use the potty?
I'm worried that if this happens i wont be able to get out of my tail in time when i get my tail.
Obviously you should use the restroom before-hand. But what if afterwards while im swimming i have to go?

Just a thought?...

Kanti
06-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Bahaha
My tail is so annoying to get in and out of, I'd probably just pee right there xD
I haven't taken it to a public pool yet, I'm sure once I do I'd probably consider using
the bathroom first so I don't have to worry about it, but if it's my pool and I'm usually
the only one who uses it, I'll let the water get warm xD

AniaR
06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a bladder illness and it can be quite sudden and painful when I need to go! Once I had a flare up and I couldnt even get out of the tail fast enough so my boyfriend carried me into the bathroom that was closest and I got the tail to my knees and couldnt wait any longer lol. Now I just stagger the liquid I drink before my tail. I find with the silicone most of what I drink goes into my muscles so I dont usually have to pee. But yes, big fear of mine!

Mermaid Sirena
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Your bladder can hold a quite a bit of liquid for a significant amount of time. When you feel you have to go to the restroom it's actually only a small percentage full, even when you feel like you are going to pee yourself. (This is a self defense mechanism to ensure we remove pollution from our bodies before it reaches a critical mass) What this translates to that is you can hold it for much longer then you actually think you can (unless you have a medical condition), I know from experience of just this weekend I ended up having to hold it for 7 hours. Once I got out of tail believe me I was SPRINTING for the bathrooms, however point being if you have to hold it you can.

Anya
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Although be careful, because holding it when your body is telling you you really have to pee can definitely lead to a bladder infection (which are absolutely no fun).

If your tail is neoprene, the way it keeps divers warm is by trapping water in between the skin and the fabric. So, if you're in the ocean/river whatnot, the general rule of thumb I've heard from divers is pee at least 5 minutes before you get out of the water to allow it to flush out of the wetsuit (not to mention it'll keep you warm). I don't know how it is with silicone, but if it's not breathable, I think you'd probably end up swimming in your pee for a while.
As for pools...if you have an accident...at least it's super chlorinated, right?

AniaR
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
pee comes out of your body sterile as well.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised this topic hadn't come up sooner. :P

Anya
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
and my diving friend told me (although I don't know how true) if you drink green tea, it'll make your pee smell less. But as long as you're taking care of your tail and don't pee in it right as you go in or right before you come out, I don't think smell will be a problem. (I've learned all sorts of interesting things about peeing since I started SCUBA diving haha)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes... one of my high school teachers (who had been a missionary in Burkina Faso and a few other places in Africa), mentioned that peeing on a wound was considered a decent way of sterilizing it.

Mermaid Saphira
06-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes... one of my high school teachers (who had been a missionary in Burkina Faso and a few other places in Africa), mentioned that peeing on a wound was considered a decent way of sterilizing it.

*cringes* LOL

Merman Ray
06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I am glad this topic came up because I have been wondering about this.

Spindrift
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Lol If you step on or get wounded by a sea urchin you're supposed to pee on it.

Prince Calypso
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd just pee there. sorry but i'm not above peeing in a pool or even in the bath or shower and wany one who says they havent done that EVER is a liar and a prude.

Bellasea
06-12-2012, 07:25 PM
^^ That made me giggle :D

Mermaid Rillia
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Haha I'm suprised that this topic hasn't come up sooner as well. However I'm glad I asked.

Mermaid Bella
06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
when i was a little girl, i was sunburned really badly so for the rest of the summer i had to swim in a wetsuit to stop more sundamage. anyway i was in the pool and needed to go, so i climbed out, (i big feat for a 9 year old, desperate to pee, in an above ground pool with no ladder) made my way into the house... after drying my legs enough to not puddle water in my house, then to the closest bathroom. and i couldnt get my wetsuit off, i think it was at a point between wet and dry where it stuck to me like plastic wrap which was painful enough to make me pass out. in the end i dashed outside and peed in the garden, through my suit then had a shower... not my finest hour. heh heh

Winged Mermaid
06-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd just pee there. sorry but i'm not above peeing in a pool or even in the bath or shower and wany one who says they havent done that EVER is a liar and a prude.

Preach it brotha!

Truth! People are really squeamish about pee, a little too much when it comes down to that it's a hell of a lot cleaner than your mouth and spit (for example).

It's true it's one thing for people who can get out easily cause, ya know, they have legs.. but another thing if it's a whole ordeal. With some tails it can be really hard to get back in once the tail is wet, and even if you manage that there can be air bubbles that you just can't get out of the fluke. Plus there's the whole thing of the kids at times. It's one thing to take it off and put it away and act like you can grow legs, keep the magic intact somewhat- but taking it off, going to the bathroom, then putting it back on.. not so much. If I know I'm going for a swim I avoid caffeine and don't drink water an hr before (although I take water with me and put it pool side in case I get thirsty).

Prince Calypso
06-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Preach it brotha!

Truth! People are really squeamish about pee, a little too much when it comes down to that it's a hell of a lot cleaner than your mouth and spit (for example).

It's true it's one thing for people who can get out easily cause, ya know, they have legs.. but another thing if it's a whole ordeal. With some tails it can be really hard to get back in once the tail is wet, and even if you manage that there can be air bubbles that you just can't get out of the fluke. Plus there's the whole thing of the kids at times. It's one thing to take it off and put it away and act like you can grow legs, keep the magic intact somewhat- but taking it off, going to the bathroom, then putting it back on.. not so much. If I know I'm going for a swim I avoid caffeine and don't drink water an hr before (although I take water with me and put it pool side in case I get thirsty).

agreed.
people are weird as hell about pee. its pee!!!! its not going to kill you and its most likely one of the most sterile things our body produces.
i say pee in the pool. there's chlorine and i can assure you aren't the only one. theres probably pee already in there before you got there

Ayla of Duluth
06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
how is pee sterile? I don't understand that...its the body's garbage, our natural waste product. how is it not full of useless bacteria and other icky stuff?

Spindrift
06-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I remember when I was a kid living in Hawaii the YMCA pool was almost always closed because there was too much pee in it and it had turned the water really green.

Spindrift
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Also, I still wouldn't be comfortable in swimming in other people's pee. First of all, how many times do you think it will get in your mouth/swallowed while you are swimming?

And, it's only for the most part that urine is sterile when it first comes out (and even so it is 95% water and 5% bad stuff). Bacteria can grow in urine once it's out. Normally, chlorine will make sure it doesn't, but there are exceptions to the "sterile rule" and diseases you can catch through other people's urine: urinary tract infections, Cytomegalovirus infection (CMV), Cryptosporidium, a chlorine-resistant microorganism that causes diarrhea, HIV (but apparently you can't contract it from urine), and the like. In addition, someone else's urine might be a problem because each person's body chemistry is different. Male urine will have testosterone in it. Female urine will have estrogen in it. Someone else's body may be allergic to the kind of stuff in your body.

http://swimming.about.com/od/safetyinthewater/qt/Unhygienic_Swim_Pool_Behavior.htm
http://www.whyzz.com/why-is-it-bad-to-pee-in-the-pool

Maple
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree with Spindrift.

The pool is not your own personal giant toilet. If you have to pee, get out and pee. End of story. There are always exceptions but if you are an able bodied person, haul your rumpus out of your tail and pee in the toilet!

If my 3 year old niece knows better than to pee in the pool, so should mermaids! Remember, we're the ones who set examples for kids.

And because I feel the need to: I'm not a liar or a prude! I used to pee in the pool when I was a child. I grew up and started acting like an adult, and that means peeing in the toilet while at the pool.

Merman Dan
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
As I taught my kids:

"Under the sea, That's where fish pee!"

But never in the ool (notice there's no "p" in it). ;)

Prince Calypso
07-02-2012, 05:51 AM
i mean yes if you can make it to the bath room and by all means run and get to a toilet bt if your stuck in a tail doing kids shows or what have you and your being paid to saty your fishy ass in that water till your time is up so as not to risk the illusion of the ermaid thing
then pee in the freaking pool.
i'm, not sayi hey everybody pee in the pool or anything im just say as a mermaid, i know its a bit time consuming getting into that tail and its gonnna be a bit time consuming getting out
so ig you cant get to a bath room pee where you are that all i'm saying

Spindrift
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah I really don't think it would be very professional to pee in your sponsor's pool while they are paying you to be there. If they find out/check pool stats they might find it extremely disrespectful. I would say to always have a back up plan, and if the gig is too long, schedule in breaks - which is good for other reasons too, you don't want to overexert yourself and no one will want a wrinkly mermaid/man.

deepblue
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.labspaces.net/119108/Study_debunks_common_myth_that_urine_is_sterile

Urine is not entirely sterile. There's also no evidence that it can help a jelly or urchin sting... you can look that up online, easily enough.

Just sayin'.

Prince Calypso
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
well then fuck, guess i'm just a disgusting individual who is the ONLY person who had EVER Peed in a pools
sorry i'll just decline myself to complete and utter silence.

Merman Dan
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
My 8-year old and 9-year old daughters take great delight in leaping out of the pool and running to the field beside the house to "use nature". I can only imagine (for a few weeks anyway, until I get my own tail!) the difficulties involved in the Fins to Feet spell. ;)

My 8-year old will be the first of my kids to have her own tail. I'll see how she handles it.

Spindrift
07-04-2012, 07:57 AM
well then fuck, guess i'm just a disgusting individual who is the ONLY person who had EVER Peed in a pools

You can always just pee in your own pool and see how it goes with the cleaning and all.
I'm not saying you're a bad person or anything. I am just saying it's a bad idea to pee in pools that other people swim in, especially if you are being hired to do so. What if you were doing a gig and a little kid got sick because they were allergic to some chemical that was emitted from your body? I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Maple
07-06-2012, 03:03 AM

Nobody ever said that! Heck, I even said I've peed in the pool before!

I do want to apologise if it seemed like I was attacking you personally, Prince Calypso! I didn't mean for it to come off as a personal attack.

I am just so flabbergasted that this is even a topic! Like I said, I used to piddle in the pool as a kid, but as a grown up it just seems...I don't know. Grown ups are supposed to pee in toilets, not the pool! I wasn't really watching my tone, I was just reacting and I apologise.

And yes, there are always exceptions! Sensitive bladders, chronic bladder illness, being in a paid gig and just not able to get that tail off...sure, it happens. But if you're just enjoying yourself, having a swim and all of a sudden you have to water the daisies? Surely we're not that lazy. It's not that bad wriggling out of your tail, is it? I know mine isn't!

Lyna
07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
while pee is technically "sterile"....it is sterile TO YOU... you don't have anything you can't give youself...does that make sense? urine in general is firly sterile to a point...but once released from the body, it rapidly grows bacteria et cetera. so...going into water and being quickly dispersed and diluted-doesn't sound like an issue. so long as you make sure to clean your tail very very well.
i also have been thinking about this topic though, but my concerns were for dry land issues. i have 2 seperate renn faires this summer to attend, in 2 seperate states, as well as several photoshoots. i'm wrried about being hauled around to public bathrooms where i may or may not need help getting in and out of the tail, especially unseen by children to use the bathroom, an keeping my tail from touching dirty port a john walls or floors. especially because trf has o much epic drinking going on. lol

Winged Mermaid
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
i also have been thinking about this topic though, but my concerns were for dry land issues. i have 2 seperate renn faires this summer to attend, in 2 seperate states, as well as several photoshoots. i'm wrried about being hauled around to public bathrooms where i may or may not need help getting in and out of the tail, especially unseen by children to use the bathroom, an keeping my tail from touching dirty port a john walls or floors. especially because trf has o much epic drinking going on. lol

If I were you, unless you have a bladder of steel, I don't think drinking while in tail is a good idea. You'll be sweating enough in it that you'll have to drink water to stay hydrated, and drinking alcohol will only flush that out instead of hydrating you so you'll be dehydrated and having to make all kinds of trips to the restroom. But my best suggestion is to either have a tent or at least a some posts with a tarp around it where your mertender can carry you so you can change in and out of your tail. Maybe have a mermaidy skirt of some kind you can wear around. Moon Mermaid does that so she can walk around and enjoy the fairs while still being her mer-character (ex: here (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273874162682723&set=a.273873982682741.60808.100001804235739&type=3) and here (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=201286656608141&se%20at=a.159468787456595.38062.100001804235739&type=3)).

Tasha Mermaid
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Absolutely, over here in Australia, when you get stung by a blue bottle they say to pee on the sting, it helps to sterilize AND take out the pain, works no matter how discusting it is.......i once got stung by a blue bottle as a young kid, and my younger brother had to pee on my leg, i was so grossed out, but i couldnt pee on myself lol

Tasha Mermaid
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
IKt i the first point of call for blue bottle and jelly fish stings here in Australia, all doctors recommend it, and fro my own previous experience it took the sting out. Thats proof there, disgusting proof i agree, but proof :)

http://www.labspaces.net/119108/Study_debunks_common_myth_that_urine_is_sterile

Urine is not entirely sterile. There's also no evidence that it can help a jelly or urchin sting... you can look that up online, easily enough.

Just sayin'.

Gem Stone
01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I have peed in the ocean while swimming, but when I am tail swimming in a pool, I just don't drink water until I'm done so I don't have to worry about that. but in the ocean, diving, five or six miles away from the nearest bathroom, yes I pee.

Elle
01-18-2013, 01:45 AM
I have in the ocean. I'm sorry but there is a wide variety of ocean life regularly weeing and doing a shitload of other stuff in that water, I really don't see how a little bit of my body wastes are gonna make it worse.
I figure if nature calls while I'm out in the ocean or a river or a lake then I'm gonna do it!
if i'm in a pool I'm not gonna. fair enuff when I was little i thought it was easier to stay in the pool, then get out and get dried squirm out of my swimmers and use a toilet.
But just remember....while you might not be peeing in that public pool that you go to regularly at least 50% of the kids that go there are taking a whiz!
I'd be more worried about AFR's than a bit of wee.

AniaR
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Gonna be honest here, if you peed in a silicone tail, that pee isn't going anywhere. You're sitting in it. lol I have a bladder disease, if I can get in and out of a pool and my tail for professional gigs without peeing in a pool- anyone can. If it's a short gig, you go before, you go after, you stagger your liquids. If it's a long gig, you book yourself breaks. You'll need to eat and drink anyway during a long gig. Tails are hard to get on, but once you're already soaked from swimming you can slide them off and on easily.

I've read several academic articles that say peeing on your jellyfish sting works. I looked it up for a science course I took where we had to keep science journals and find interesting facts to research and discuss. I looked up stuff that relating to mermaiding (like the physics of monofins!) and I found several reputable medical journals on pee and jellyfish. Also, as someone who deals with pee on a regular basis as part of her illness I'm pretty informed on it.

You can't get HIV from pee anymore than you can get it from spit. And in reality, the second HIV blood becomes exposed to air, it changes it's chemistry and it's not the same thing. Hence needing direct flow through means of a blood transfusion or needle etc. (that's not my opinion, it's actual science, look it up) There are a LOT of misconception about HIV that are starting to be addressed only now through education, and first aid training etc. I've been exposed to much more knowledge on the topic because I've worked with kids who have HIV and my mertender has a family member who had HIV. (Yes, I said had. He is one of only a handful of people in the world to have it 100% disappear from his body. However, only certain instances of that are reported to the public. I believe there is only 1 official "cured of HIV patient" but there are about a dozen world wide who have undergone, like his family member, experimental treatments in which after the treatment no sign of HIV was present in their body. He's been that way for a DECADE.)

So yeah, I'm not saying it's okay to pee so other people end up swimming with it. But guess what? Kids pee in pools. People pee in pools. It happens. At worst, there are documented cases of people developing viral infections that in all likelihood came from other bacteria than what's in pee. Nothing actually gets linked back to pee in pools. Does that mean you should do it if you can help it? No way, get your butt out and find a toilet. But if you believe you aren't already swimming in it, you're lying to yourself :p

Sammi Ray
01-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Haha. exactly.

SeaGlass Siren
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I think i can safely say that i have never (and i am not exaggerating or lying) peed in pools (even when i was a kid) because it's nasty and i don't wanna be swimming in my own urine.

but like raina said.. who knows if i've been swimming in other people's pee. ;__;

side note: didnt they introduce some sort of chemical to make the pool turn purple if someone does take a leak?

AptaMer
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
if you believe you aren't already swimming in it, you're lying to yourself :p

Well, I know that if any teams play water polo in a pool, you're definitely swimming in water that's been peed in. It's part of the game, I'm afraid.

Mermaid Wesley
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
seriously. If you are in a public pool where any sort of polo or swim of sycro team practices, theres pee in the pool. We just cannot get out of the pool and put everything on hold to go pee in the middle of a swim set or a scrimmage. We get used to it and it doesnt bother me anymore. Not to mention that most coaches will get pissed at you (no pun intended) if you have to get out of the pool very often (and by often i mean more than once a day) and the practices can be upwards of three hours long. It might bother me except for the fact that the pool i swim in is so overly chlorinated that it bleaches my arm hair... Ive gotten sick from the pool, but its not from the pee, its from my teammates being sick and still getting in the water. In conclusion, You are swimming in pee. Dont worry about it. its inevitable. and the color-changing chemical is bs. its a lie to scare little kids that my parents told me when I was like 6.

Alveric
01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't drink water, fish @#%* in it.--W.C.Fields

Merman Chatfish
11-25-2014, 12:02 AM

I don't know if this ever happens, when I am out of the water i only pee a few times a day, when I am in water I seem to need to pee a few times every hours. I will admit, when I am teaching swim lessons if I am in the middle of a lesson I will just go. We usually teach alone, no lifeguard watching the pool, and most parents drop off their kids and leave (even the level 1 classes I teach). When I consider peeing in the pool or leaving a group of 3-6 year olds alone by the pool, peeing in the pool seems safer to me.

who knows if i've been swimming in other people's pee. ;__;

side note: didnt they introduce some sort of chemical to make the pool turn purple if someone does take a leak?

I don't know if they actually do or not, but if they do, you will turn purple. Sweat has the same stuff as urine just in lower quantities.
The pool I work at and probably every other pool you will notice it is very clear in the morning and by the evening you can see maybe 15 feet in front of you. Thats all the contaminates: pee, poop, dirt, skin cells, spit, soap, laundry detergent*, lent*, hair, etc.

Oh and ask yourself, how many people actually shower before they go into a pool? There are worse things than pee, poop for one. Spent all day wiping it around on your rear. Guess who is the germaphobe.

*Back when YMCAs were men only swim suits were banned from the pool. When you wash your clothing some laundry detergent or soap remains and can come out in the pool, throwing the chemicals off. Lent would also release and clog the filters. Banning swim suits saved them money. Personally I hate cleaning filters from our out door pool, so much hair and frogs.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Frogs??

I have a weak bladder.
Its made worse when I'm swimming, I have to pee every 3 to 10 mins. I tried not drinking water before my swim but that made my feet have severe cramps. They arched into claws or went in different directions. Very painful, not happening, have to keep drinking fresh water and take banana breaks.

Merman Chatfish
11-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Frogs??

Yea the other somer we had a few too many frogs hop into our pool, and some how a large one made it thru the filtration system and got caught in the hair trap.