PDA

View Full Version : Daring to make...PASTIES (Dun dun DUNNN)

LittleTreasure
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Hello!
Kay...I have decided that since I have no money right now and am only waiting to hear back from employers (I really hope I get at least one reply), I can only focus on making the accessories for my next tail. Which brings me to the issue of a top.

My pink tail had a bra/fabric top, and I like it, but it flops around in the water due to badly placed straps. I can't wear it in front of other people because of how much of me it exposes :lol:(I'll have to fix that somehow). But anyway...

Do you think people would be weirded out/offended if they saw a mer who wasn't fully covered up there? I decided I wanted my trout tail costume to seem more natural and lifelike so that includes realistic accessories. I like to think that if mermaids were real, they'd be topless, but since public nudity is not ok, I can't exactly do that....so, I thought, fishnet and pasties!

Just swimming around, I can only find rocks and mussel(?) shells at my lake, so I thought I'd use that idea for a pastie since a trout would be a lake or river fish. Here's a pretty shell I found in a pack at Michael's that just covers my sensitive bits up (It looks kind of like the tiny mussel shells I find at the lake):

I used some mold putty to make a mold around the shell:

After about 30ish minutes, the shell could be released. The mold putty did a pretty good job, I must say:

But now, I'm kind of stuck. What kind of stuff do you cast a mold for this with? I mean, it's going on your boob. It needs to be flexible right? But I can't really spend lots of money on latex or silicone. I have a casting resin kit and coloring for it, and I think I have some 'eraser' clay by Sculpey that's supposed to be flexible... would either of those be okay to use for these? And does anybody know where to buy spirit gum?

LittleTreasure
06-16-2012, 11:40 PM
I also have one more question: is there an alternative to mold release spray for resins? I forgot to buy it at the craft store and I'm so broke... :doh:

Kanti
06-17-2012, 04:02 AM
I use WD-40 and vaseline (petroleum jelly) and I think they work pretty great xD

LittleTreasure
06-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I decided to just use the stuff I can use best: polymer clay. This way didn't need mold release. I'm praying it doesn't crack in the water.

The rubber mold putty made a lovely push mold, and the pasties baked for about 15 minutes.

Freshly sanded and hollowed out with a Dremel, ready to paint:

And here's one just painted with acrylics and sealed with polyurethane (shown with 2 of my found shells):

I'm SO EXCITED to finish these!!!

Mermaid Lorelei
06-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Wow, your coloring skills are mighty impressive!

LittleTreasure
06-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Thank you :) I am now finished with them, and I just need to figure out how to do something with fishnet as well to make it like a top(maybe), like over the chest, just to lessen the 'in your face' effect.
And with these I'll definitely need some spirit gum to make them stay...they're heavier than your traditional leather pasties.

The outsides:

The insides:

Mermaasai
06-18-2012, 02:47 AM
oh wow those are so GREAT!
Reiterating the awesome paint job, they are so realistic!

Keep up the flawless work!

LittleTreasure
06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you Mermassai :) Hopefully I can get by Party City today for some spirit gum to try these babies out. ;) Eyelash glue just won't cut it.

Mermaid Rillia
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I like! These look amazing. Can't wait to hear how they work in the water :)

MermaidHaru
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Wow! These are amazing! I've heard spirit gum is waterproof, so I hope that that turns out to be true! Good luck!

LittleTreasure
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Bad (and weird) news... my local Party City apparently went up in flames and is now being rebuilt. I had no idea until I was about to go there and my friend told me. :doh:

So.... since Spirit gum and remover are the only things I need right now, and it takes ridiculous prices to ship them to me, I'm going to see if my grocery store/drug store has a product called Benzoin Tincture, an alternative to Spirit gum.

But I did swish the pasties around in my pool water for a while... nothing happened to them, so that's good news right?

Spindrift
06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
o.0 Wow.

They might also sell spirit gum in dance stores, Michael's, and other Halloween stores.

LittleTreasure
06-18-2012, 10:56 PM
No go on the drug stores. Apparently Benzoin Tincture is only widely used in doctors' offices... :headwall:

I'll have to try Michael's and our Drug Emporium tomorrow...we only have seasonal halloween stores.

...because right now I'm trying eyelash glue (yes, I'm impatient to try these, dangit, even after dark) and they're slowly peeling off as I type this. *Sigh*

Bellasea
06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Good luck on finding what you need! And oh my, it is kinda funny that the oarty store went up in flames just when you needed it.

LittleTreasure
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah, it is pretty funny. Maybe Somebody's trying to test my patience. :lol: I'm like a 4 yr old wiggleworm right now.

MermaidHaru
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
0.o Fate is trying to work against you! ;)

LittleTreasure
06-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Apparently so - get this. I found Benzoin tincture at Drug Emporium today. Still can't find spirit gum.When I got home to try it, it worked pretty well outside of the water. Then I got in the pool.Within 20 seconds of swimming they peeled off. I thought maybe I applied it wrong or something so I got out to try again. When I looked at the pasties, the outside edges where I put the stuff were crackly looking. I used alcohol to get it off me and the pasties, but then the alcohol ate away the 3 coats of poly I'd put on the insides of the pasties.Whyyyyyyyyy?!In conclusion, I have no idea what to do now. :(

Mermaid Jewel
06-20-2012, 01:07 AM
They look amazingly realistic! Wow!

That party city thing is pretty funny and horrible at the same time! I actually have spirit gum and remover on hand from doing a theatre makeup workshop way back when...but it was ordered in a huge kit from Ben Nye which is now (as it was then) quite expensive so...I wish you the best of luck finding the spirit gum! :D

On a side note, I've actually stuck large gemstones on my face with eyelash glue before and it's significantly difficult and prob won't work with anything larger than like a quarter. Or even a nickel. I had to hold it for a really long time (until I realized I could do the thing where you waited 30 sec for it to be tacky before sticking it to your flesh...) but when I did the same thing with a large rhinestone about the size of a quarter, it just didn't stay.

LittleTreasure
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I've made a bit of progress.
I think the pasties wouldn't stay on last time because the benzoin tincture was too busy eating away at the shells' polyurethane. So I rubbed the rest off with alcohol and remembered that a lot of pasties have leather insides. And I have lots of red leathery fabric...So..

First I sanded the pasties down for a better fit and less bulk:

Next I fitted the leather to each pastie and glued it down with E6000:
After the glue dried overnight they were ready to test!
I had tested the benzoin tincture with the leather beforehand and it was fine, so I stuck them on and after a short time, got in.
One pastie fell off after I pulled it a little, but the other was just fine (YAY!) even after swimming fast for a bit.

I think the trick with benzoin tincture is not to mess with it because it peels off easily, as it's used to seal ulcers and bedsores and the stuff actually soothes skin. Once I get my hands on some spirit gum I think these will work wonderfully!

Spindrift
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Amazing! Great job! Thank you for sharing your process.

Shipwrecked Blue
06-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Bad (and weird) news... my local Party City apparently went up in flames and is now being rebuilt. I had no idea until I was about to go there and my friend told me. :doh:

Something similar happened to me. I've been planning for my wedding and we wanted to go to Party City. I swear it had been open just a week before. I went to look up the exact address and found that it no longer exists. They had closed the place down and I didn't realize it. O_O

LittleTreasure
06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Aww! Hate it when that happens O,o Well the situation might not be bad anymore for me. Another friend told me it was open again...I'll have to investigate. The fire happened a while ago so maybe it will be open...excited!

And, Spindrift, thanks! I hope this helps someone who wants to make something similar. If I make more though I'm going to try latex or silicone.

LittleTreasure
07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, I just bumped myself a bit...but I have news!!!

First, my very lovely friend who informed me of the Party City fire was out of town recently and when she came back she told me, "I got you spirit gum!"
:yay: :yay: :yay:

So I tested that out, and as long as it has dried properly before you get in the water, it is completely fine.

Also, I have been thinking about my pink tail's top...since it is so..unintentionally revealing, I decided to take a different approach (again with polymer clay):

(The pink is way more vibrant in person). Now I can have something that matches, yet doesn't leave me flashing everyone O_o And soon I'm going to start messing around with my fishnet to see if I can make the top a bit more modest. I could wear this with both this tail and my future trout tail, theoretically...

Mermaid Saphira
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Very, very pretty! I love the colors, they will work great in the water :)

LittleTreasure
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Thank you! I'll be getting all dressed up to test these out this afternoon :D

Mermaid Saphira
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
O yay! Do take photos! I wish u luck, pasties are a daring thing to wear ;)

Mermaid Dottie
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I love your shells! It's too bad I'm such a well-endowed girl...:lol:

LittleTreasure
07-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys! I completely forgot to take pictures today, but maybe tomorrow? Hmm... I still need to figure out what to do with my fishnet anyway, plus I wanted to make some new jewelry.
I think I want to make it into a kind of bandeau top with pearls and beads keeping it up around the neck.
And Mermaid Dottie, I have a proposition for you - share some! I am so NOT well-endowed that if I put these on at the wrong angle, they peel off... :lol: