PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with hair decorations?

Blaze
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
So I was making myself a little starfish clip last night & I realized i wasn't sure if this was something I should wear while swimming. What do you all use to attach pretty things in your hair? What have you found that holds the best? Looks the best in water?

Just starting to built my mermaid wardrobe & all. :D

Mermaid Jewel
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I haven't swam with things in my hair but barettes look more reliable than clips. And for dance, when we put headpieces in, we cross our bobby pins and it really keeps them in, despite turns and etc. I guess it'll take some experimentation :)

Blaze
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I haven't swam with things in my hair but barettes look more reliable than clips. And for dance, when we put headpieces in, we cross our bobby pins and it really keeps them in, despite turns and etc. I guess it'll take some experimentation :)

Oh I'm very familiar with how to keep things on my head while dancing (both belly dance & burlesque) but what I'm worried about is the 'in water' part. not only staying in but something that I won't have to cut out of my hair after I get out of the water. ;D

AniaR
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
I bought these beautiful orchid hair clips from the aquarium of the pacific when i visited there over christmas. They have like a clamp for a clip lol. I wear them swimming all the time they stay in super well!!!

Blaze
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I bought these beautiful orchid hair clips from the aquarium of the pacific when i visited there over christmas. They have like a clamp for a clip lol. I wear them swimming all the time they stay in super well!!!

Are they alligator clips like these or something else?

http://www.bandnbowdepot.com/images/singles.jpg

Winged Mermaid
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
If I remember correctly I think actual dried starfish are bad for submerging. Something about getting wet and soggy and smelly, although I could be wrong.

Little_Orca
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
How about attaching something with a waterproof adhesive to a spin-pin / hairs screw? Barrettes and I think combs (antique looking ones like this (http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188907_760921215818_19707057_40846079_339189_n.jpg ), but not my 100 yr old one! *clings!*) would be the best, but I can see putting your hair up in a half bun or using a mini-spin-pin to put half of it up for underwater shoots. May look cute with a realistic but fake sea star on it... that way you don't have to kill a sea star for decoration and it will be waterproof.

Mermaid Sirena
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
That would make sense, sort of like when you get sandstone wet and it disintegrates and put dry freeze food in water and it turns back into something palatable and gets bigger with the water absorption. Never really thought about that before but it makes a lot of sense.

Aquatarian
07-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I would try and find something with rubber or silicone so there's the least amount of slipage possible when swimming.

Also just some food for thought, you know those feather extensions? You could try the same thing with bits of seaweed (or at least green colored feathers) to make yourself look more nautical.

Moonflower
07-28-2011, 12:57 AM
What about a tiny braid under the area the clip is going on? Something like a cornrow/french braid with a tiny bit of hair that could be secured with a little clear elastic? That way, any bobby pins or clips could go through and have more stability under the water.

Mermaid Jewel
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
If you french braid your hair somehow, like maybe half up, then put the piece in it would stay better as well. And the alligator clips probably won't work because they fly out a lot...

NerineArcticMermaid
07-29-2011, 11:38 PM
i wear clip in hair extantions.. they get tangles but nothinga bit of condintioner cant solve :)

MermaidNerenia
08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Im gong to get green and blue feather extensions to put in when I am swimming. They are super easy to put in and take out, and I think they would give just the right amount of color and look really ethereal. You could also try attaching flowers to alligator clips with teeth then maybe braiding a few pieces of hair to attach it to. I have made alot of hairpieces with them and they always hold relly well.

Spindrift
08-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I got tinsel extensions at the WMAs. I really like them and they're not making me bald, so I'm happy. I heard the feather extensions have a lot of fisherman angry about them because the feathers come from a specially-bred chicken and now there aren't enough to go around.

Blaze
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Heh I have tinsel in my hair too; got it put in a few days before I left for my vacation as a trial run for my big convention coming up in tow weeks. I love it! Need to get it tied in better; most fell out after one week. :p

Spindrift
10-31-2015, 07:02 AM
I know I'm backposting by a few years... but I am actually wondering since it was never answered in this thread :P
Alligator clips? Barrettes? Any preferences? I know most accessories made by mers here use barrettes. Is this standard because it holds better, or standard just because? Has anyone used alligator clips in the water before?

Mer-Crazy
10-31-2015, 05:27 PM
I believe the Barrett holds better IF you've made a small pony tail to hold it in place. I swim in my rouge siren hair clip all the time and I've never had an issue with it slipping until one day when I couldn't put it on a small banded section of hair because of the hair style I'd done. It kept sliding down and I had to make sure to catch it before it fell out (I was in the ocean with no goggles so if it fell out it was gone forever)

The barrette is a much more solid hold when it's got an anchor point. I always worry just a little bit about the alligator because I know it's not set there, where as with the barrette I know once I hear that click it's not going anywhere unless it breaks entirely.

So I suppose it's that ease of mind that draws people to the barrette. Maybe?