PDA

View Full Version : Cold water swimming

Azurin Luna
06-21-2012, 03:34 AM
At the end of the month I'm going to be a mermaid in a LARP event which is set about 3 pirate groups fighting for a ship, but as it looks now the water won't be very warm to swim in. Nor might the weather very nice... probably rain

What do you people do in that case? I have a neoprene tail so my legs should be fine, but I'm afraid I will turn completely blue from the cold (as my tail is blue too).

Mermaid Cascada
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM
You could get a swimsuit that cover your whole top half (arms and everything) in your skin color. I think it's like a full body suit or something. Idk if it's called a wetsuit but I think that's what its called :P
Good luck and happy swimming :)
-kimmie

Spindrift
06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
A thick rashguard, maybe. What are the pirates doing? It wouldn't be fair for you to suffer icy cold water when they don't have to!

Azurin Luna
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
All I know is that I have to get them to play with me so I can give them a message, as I'm npc they only tell me this much untill the time is there when we are playing, the pc's, the pirates in this case know of nothing yet.

I think I will make a kind of seaweed vest to keep my body warm. And if the weather is to bad I think it will be played on shore instead of in the water, at least I hope.

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
During Project Madison III the watertemperature was 17 degrees C. Yes, your legs will be warm, but try to cover your body with several layers vaseline. Okay, it's still be very cold, but is it better than a naked skin. For tips and tricks for diving in cold water, ask The Iceman. He said that you can train your body for events like this - use a cold shower in example....

There is only one imprtant rule: if your body feels very warm in the water, hypothermia is only a few minutes away....

Azurin Luna
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks, I will keep that in mind, and I will make some clear signs with the others when something goes wrong, I want someone to be ready to get me out.

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
If you need any assistance during your event, you may call me.

AniaR
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
yeah our water is ALWAYS cold, lol. Put tights on under your tail, will help insulate. Though, I do find we adjust and especially once you start moving around generate heat

Azurin Luna
06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
If you need any assistance during your event, you may call me.

Hehe, that's funny, I just saw your location. We are playing in Muiden for the weekend, there will be only one long river between us

Kitty-Madison Snel
06-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Muiden.... thats a nice place to be. Saturday I'll be in the neighbourhood, cause our neoprene tail for training will be repainted by an airbrush artist.

Azurin Luna
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Hehe, it shows how small the Netherlands is

Merman Craig (Delphinar)
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I always swim in cold water. But for some reason, I don't mind the cold.