PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my tail

LittleAmy
06-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Hey there,

I know I'm not super special for that demand but I really love the Hannah Fraser making tails process but I have some blanks.

First, I want to tell you that I don't want to copy her.

I read her not on her mermaid website about that.

What sort of neoprene would you recomand ? (2/3/4 mm ?)
If you want to attach scales, do you need to ad another neoprene layer ?
I saw on a picture that her neoprene for her blue tail is red inside but I saw a blue layer and I couldn't know what it is.

I'm French and I really want to try to make my first tail with a Finis monofin (the Hannah Fraser one) but where can I buy it ?

I'll be in Los Angeles for 2 weeks in July, could you please advice me some shops for my basics materials ?

How do I need to sew my tail ?

I want to repeat that I would like that for my first try and after I'll make my own choice for the materials for my second tail.

I'm really determined (I waited for that opportunity about 10 years) and I would like to be (in the long term) one of the first "true" mermaid model in France.

If one post look like mine, I really apreciate if you could give me some links ^^

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for your advices.

With love.

XoXo

ShyMer
06-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Here's a thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?574-Archive-quot-Sewing-Neoprene-quot)about sewing neoprene. Some people hand sew their tails, but they have suggestions for machine sewing as well. You have some options.

It seems that most of us find the best deals for materials by ordering online. Things such as neoprene, the shaped scales, and the monofin aren't really available in stores with much, if any, variety. Of course, I don't live in Los Angeles, so you may get lucky there. Also there are several other competitor style monofins available out of Europe that are less expensive than finis and may work just as well, so you do have options there as well if you hadn't considered it.

I think Ilonka made her tail with 3 mm neoprene, and it sounded like that may have been too thick. I think most people here make it with 2 mm? I'm not sure.

I haven't made a tail like what you want but I assume you do not need two layers of neoprene for the scales. From what I've gathered from others who have done this, the neoprene should be okay to hold them on its own. Also, I would think that'd be super heavy :O

Spindrift
06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
2mm is the standard for people making tails but it really depends on the temperature of the water you are swimming in. A lot of the questions you are asking have been answered here before, so feel free to browse around. It also helps for you to link or display stuff you are referring to so that miscommunication can be minimized (for example, the specific picture of Hannah's tail).

What are you making the scales out of? Sequins? In that case, just one layer of neoprene should be fine.

malinghi
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I'll be in Los Angeles for 2 weeks in July, could you please advice me some shops for my basics materials ?

Macro International is a neoprene company, and I their headquarters is in the LA area. You could probably visit their warehouse and check out the neoprene before you buy.

They have lots of kinds of neoprene. Make sure you get nylon coated.

Macro International Company
Macro Products, Inc.
78 Bunsen, Irvine, CA 92618
Phone: (949)727-1888
Fax: (949)727-1488

LittleAmy
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I went to LA but I don't find any scuba shop for my monofin or for the neoprene :(
Could you please advice me some secure website to buy a finis monofin competitor in M size ?

Thank you <3 :$